Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 24-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Exfso (Peter)

That Electricity rip-off again

I just downloaded the new rates from the AGL website which come into effect from July 1. It was supposed to be a 20% increase, wrong it works out to 26%. They have gone from 27.7c/kwh to 34.9c/kwh winter rates. And summer rates are even higher. I rang the energy ombudsman, and they are a toothless tiger, they reckon the energy companies can basically do as they wish, no wonder we are going down the gurglar
Old 24-07-2012, 03:29 PM
leon

Agreed, it is just plain theft, and no one seems to care, the authorities that is.

Leon
Old 24-07-2012, 03:33 PM
koputai (Jason)

How many times do we have to drag these stupid whinge sessions up? It's a product, reduce your usage and you pay less.

If you are worthy of government rebates, then you will pay less if not zero. A lot of unworthy get these rebates as well. Those of us that use it and earn a living from working get to pay for everyone else.

Last edited by koputai; 24-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 24-07-2012, 03:43 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

hmmmm
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (boring.jpg)
19.3 KB116 views
Old 24-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Colin_Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by koputai View Post
How many times do we have to drag these stupid whinge sessions up?
Don't know koputai
I suppose it depends on how much longer it takes for people to roll over and blindly accept getting in kicked in the guts.
Or maybe while users like you and me "drag these stupid whinge sessions" on
Old 24-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Jason, you have totally missed the point here. Why should we just sit back and accept getting shafted, if everyone did that we would cop it worse. These power hungry (no pun intended) electricity companies are just running over anyone they like, there is no control, contrary to what is believed, and that is from the ombudsman, they can just raise the prices whenever they like. You say to reduce power consumption, well I know I have to the tune of about 30% but that is very soon swallowed up by these outlandish price rises. I does no good to change to gas either as that is going through the roof as well. Nothing wrong with venting one's feelings over this one as it does affect anyone that uses power.

Mike, your little thumbnail probably sums up where we are going, bring on the candles. Unless one is getting paid huge dollars this is probably the only alternative to using electricity for light. If you are trying to convey that this is a boring topic, well obviously you arent affected. I dont know anyone who isnt copping it, at least in my neck of the woods.
Old 24-07-2012, 05:45 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Mike, your little thumbnail probably sums up where we are going, bring on the candles. Unless one is getting paid huge dollars this is probably the only alternative to using electricity for light. If you are trying to convey that this is a boring topic, well obviously you arent affected. I dont know anyone who isnt copping it, at least in my neck of the woods.
Ahhh no, bills pee me off just like everyone else, I'm just making light of a topic that has been thrashed and thrashed and thrashed again on here, you will get the same comments, the same replies, the same everything, oh well...all good fun I guess

Mike
Old 24-07-2012, 07:23 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

I agree with jason - get used to it. Imagine what would happen if the power companies just shut the system down. The same as would happen if we had petrol strikes like in the 1970's (Though this did not happen back then)(, if petrol tanker drivers went on strike, people would be happy to pay $4 a litre for petrol if they could get it - don't kid yourself!

With electricity you pay for the service as well as supply.
Old 24-07-2012, 07:31 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Another thread about electricity? Didn't we do this just a month ago?

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=92432
Old 24-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Yeah you might as well delete it Mike, no one cares anyway, they just make a joke of it. I wont put it up again.
Old 24-07-2012, 08:54 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

but still the more we pay to live , the less we get to use to enjoy our hobby , the powers that be ?? are squeezing harder ..
Sorry to say again ,, I seen this happen in NZ 10 years ago and its happening here in this beautiful continent !!! . Called Australia .
Sorry , but true .
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=92432
Old 24-07-2012, 09:05 PM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
I just downloaded the new rates from the AGL website which come into effect from July 1. It was supposed to be a 20% increase, wrong it works out to 26%. They have gone from 27.7c/kwh to 34.9c/kwh winter rates. And summer rates are even higher. I rang the energy ombudsman, and they are a toothless tiger, they reckon the energy companies can basically do as they wish, no wonder we are going down the gurglar
Peter, reduce the amount of Light boxes you sell through IceTrade and your power consumption should go down by the the reduced amount of power tool usage.
Old 24-07-2012, 09:11 PM

Dont say that ... It will get a carbon tax put on it ,,,SHHH ! ,
Brian.
ps. I seen this happen in NZ as well ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstream View Post
Peter, reduce the amount of Light boxes you sell through IceTrade and your power consumption should go down by the the reduced amount of power tool usage.
Old 24-07-2012, 09:13 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Quote:
Imagine what would happen if the power companies just shut the system down
Dark skys and no more power bills

cold showers and dinner and the wife having to do the washing by hand would probably be a little harsh though.
Exfso (Peter)

John, no power consumed at all building them, only a stanley knife and lots of glue and patience. Havent built all that many anyway..One thing is for sure, I dont make much, just enough to cover expenses. It is done more for a service for people that want them. In any case this really is not the place to discuss Ice Trade stuff
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Or just set up a stand-alone solar power system. We make our own electricity.
Old 24-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Cool solar ,, we get 6 months monsoonal clouds up here a year , thats why we build scopes up here in the north , I sthe gov't gonna suplement my friends and I a good 20k for a deep cycle battery cube to store oll that wasted solar .... Electricity ? or give us break , people before profits ? ,, Na
I just woke up . a cube . not a new Borg Cube , but the deep cycle batteries what were not sent out to people ? futile ....
yea No Resistance ..
Sorry but true .
Brian.
Old 24-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Colin_Fraser

My last bill showed "Total Greenhouse Gas Emissions (tonnes) Generated For This Account 1.33920T"
If the carbon tax price is $27/tonne, I'd expect an increased due to the carbon tax by a little under $40.
Well it didn't! It increased $96 for the same usage as shown on the previous bill.
Seems the power companies pay $27/Tonne then charge the consumer about $60/Tonne.
How does that work out?
Old 24-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Colin_Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Yes, and there were 170 posts about it. Think that shows people are very concerned about the price hikes.
We should be able to vent our disgust as long as we don't step outside the Terms of Service.
And if users want to laud how terrific the price hikes are, they can start a thread about it
Old 24-07-2012, 11:04 PM
clive milne

Well... we could always keep on burning fossil fuels, in which case (according to scientists at the University of New South Wales and Purdue University in the United States) Climate change could make much of the world too hot for human habitation within just three centuries, research recently released showed.

Under realistic scenarios out to 2300, we may be faced with temperature increases of 12 degrees (Celsius) or even more," Professor Tony McMichael said.

"If this happens, our current worries about sea level rise, occasional heatwaves and bushfires, biodiversity loss and agricultural difficulties will pale into insignificance beside a major threat - as much as half the currently inhabited globe may simply become too hot for people to live there."

..... If the price of energy needs to go up to $1 per unit to force us to acknowledge this reality, so be it I say.

btw) Anyone care to challenge the scientific basis for this argument...?