ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Virgo Cluster

Galaxy Clusters are my favourite DSO so I was super keen to see how my first attempt would unfold. Now that I know the lens is capable, I'll lower the ISO and have a another go with longer subs.

I think I was able to count 26 galaxies in this one

Canon 250mm lens
21 x 90sec (ISO 3200)
Piggy-back on LX200
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Virgo_Cluster.jpg)
86.0 KB178 views
Old 12-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Great shot Evan, did you shoot this with the 55 - 250mm kit lens, or another 250mm prime?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Great shot Evan, did you shoot this with the 55 - 250mm kit lens, or another 250mm prime?
Thanks Yep, It was the 55 - 250mm kit lens, f/5.6
Old 12-02-2016, 07:07 PM
vlazg (George)

That is very nice, uncomplicated. Love all the faint fuzzies.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

I have the same lens and am continually surprised by it's sharpness for such a cheap kit lens. The only thing to be wary of when using a zoom lens is its tendency to change focal length during an exposure if the zoom mechanism is a bit loose, especially if your scope is pointing toward the zenith. You can tape the lens barrel to hold it at the desired zoom increment to prevent it from moving.
Old 13-02-2016, 08:41 PM
tim.stephens (Tim)

Great photo Evan. Can you tell us more about your setup and how you attach the camera to the mount? I've been thinking of doing the same with my Fuji xpro1 and a very sharp 120mm pentax lens that isn't doing much at the moment. Would be great to grab some larger FOV targets.

Another idea might be attach a CCD to the lens. That would require a separate adapter which is possible. Do you guide through the main scope?

Tim
Old 16-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
That is very nice, uncomplicated. Love all the faint fuzzies.
Thanks George!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
I have the same lens and am continually surprised by it's sharpness for such a cheap kit lens. The only thing to be wary of when using a zoom lens is its tendency to change focal length during an exposure if the zoom mechanism is a bit loose, especially if your scope is pointing toward the zenith. You can tape the lens barrel to hold it at the desired zoom increment to prevent it from moving.
Thanks Michael, your note gave me an idea! My lens doesn't slip at the moment which is good, however I often get stray light entering the lens. I have some plastic roll lying around that my Dad gave me years ago for another project. If I roll it up into a cylinder it will fit nicely over the lens and act as an effective dew shield & fix my stray light issues
Old 16-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.stephens View Post
Great photo Evan. Can you tell us more about your setup and how you attach the camera to the mount? I've been thinking of doing the same with my Fuji xpro1 and a very sharp 120mm pentax lens that isn't doing much at the moment. Would be great to grab some larger FOV targets.

Another idea might be attach a CCD to the lens. That would require a separate adapter which is possible. Do you guide through the main scope?

Tim
For this image I wasn't guiding, however I have in the past. When I do, I use a 1.25" reducer on my guide camera through the LX200. It works great and I never have an issue finding a star . Mind you, I usually have to set the exposure to <0.05 sec so I don't overexpose

For mounting, I just use a Losmandy DVCM Camera Mount that I got from Bintel. It work really well and it simply mounts onto my Losmandy Dovetail plate.
Old 17-02-2016, 06:52 PM
MichaelSW (Michael)

Evan,

G'day.

I do not do Astrophotography and the technical details go over my head, but I too love all those faint galaxies. The view you have captured is very humbling.

Showed my work colleagues. Many rounds of "Wow".

Well Done.
Old 17-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSW View Post
Evan,

G'day.

I do not do Astrophotography and the technical details go over my head, but I too love all those faint galaxies. The view you have captured is very humbling.

Showed my work colleagues. Many rounds of "Wow".

Well Done.
Thanks Michael, that's very kind of you to say. Really appreciate it mate . I know what you mean about humbling. After my first image appears on the screen I often find myself sitting back in the chair for several minutes just pondering how big & amazing the Universe really is

Cheers, Evan
Old 17-02-2016, 11:11 PM
LightningNZ (Cam)

Great work Evan. Looks excellent. Not sure I've seen many really wide-field shots of the Virgo cluster before. ISO1600 is probably the sweet-spot for the Canon 600D so don't feel you need to drop it too far.

Cheers,
Cam
Old 17-02-2016, 11:19 PM
BeanerSA (Paul)

Nice shot! Are you using a wedge?
Old 18-02-2016, 01:01 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Grouse Capture and an inspirational Image Evan - who'd of thunk all them fuzzies would show up so nicely with a lens and 90sec subs
Must be enjoying the good dark skies out your way, and I assume you have rebuilt your absco obs
Good going !!
Old 19-02-2016, 06:57 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Yes, excellent work and image. You've inspired me to have a go in a few months time when it clears my trees at a repectable time. And a fascinating area I must agree. Lots to see and find.
Old 19-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Cimitar (Evan)
Evan Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningNZ View Post
Great work Evan. Looks excellent. Not sure I've seen many really wide-field shots of the Virgo cluster before. ISO1600 is probably the sweet-spot for the Canon 600D so don't feel you need to drop it too far.

Cheers,
Cam
Thanks mate Yeah, my last decent effort where I was super happy with the result was at ISO 800 with 10min subs for my Canon 600D. Hoping to try that again at new Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanerSA View Post
Nice shot! Are you using a wedge?
I was using the wedge at the time, however I'd imagine with only 90sec subs it probably wasn't necessary... It's just my default setup these days, takes a litter longer though

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Grouse Capture and an inspirational Image Evan - who'd of thunk all them fuzzies would show up so nicely with a lens and 90sec subs
Must be enjoying the good dark skies out your way, and I assume you have rebuilt your absco obs
Good going !!
Cheers Bob The dark nights are great, I'm super grateful that I can manage 10min subs with my DSLR. Can't wait for the cooler weather to begin. Sorry, no absco obs for me just yet, you may be confusing me with someone else? . Not to say I haven't considered it mind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Yes, excellent work and image. You've inspired me to have a go in a few months time when it clears my trees at a repectable time. And a fascinating area I must agree. Lots to see and find.
Cheers Brent Yeah, can't wait to revisit the area again soon. Pretty humbling to know we're a part of that cluster .