Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Terrestrial Photography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2016, 07:54 AM
cybereye (Mario)
Mozzies love me!

Mauna Kea

Hi all!

Just back from a trip to Hawaii and yes, this time I managed to get to the top of Mauna Kea! I just thought I'd share a picture of the Subaru, Keck and the NASA Infrared telescopes that I took. The only thing the photo doesn't show is the cold - with wind gusts of 55mph bumping up the wind chill.... well, I've never been so cold!

Cheers,
Mario
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (keck.jpg)
131.2 KB85 views
Old 11-02-2016, 09:24 AM
graham.hobart (Graham stevens)
DeepSkySlacker

Hawaii

Sweet shot Mario
I'm excited as I get to go next month as well!
I don' t think I will have this view though as I am only on a day trip /over night from Honolulu.
Any tips (apart from wrap up warm!!)
I am going take my tripod and maybe 5D.
What lens was this?
Graham
Old 11-02-2016, 09:40 AM
cybereye (Mario)
Mozzies love me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham.hobart View Post
Sweet shot Mario
I'm excited as I get to go next month as well!
I don' t think I will have this view though as I am only on a day trip /over night from Honolulu.
Any tips (apart from wrap up warm!!)
I am going take my tripod and maybe 5D.
What lens was this?
Graham
Graham,

This shot was taken using my Tamron 10-24mm @ 24mm on a Pentax K30, so the full frame equivalent is about 36mm. Mind you I've also done a bit of a crop for "artistic" sake! Other details: f/7.1, 1/40sec, ISO100 and processed in Lightroom 5.7. The shot was handheld but the Pentax has in-camera stabilisation so 1/40 @ 24mm was no drama. Obviously a tripod would be good but I didn't use mine even though I had it on the bus with me.

Are you on a bus tour that goes up for the sunset? If you're self driving be aware that the car hire companies won't let you go up to the top as it's dirt road from the Visitor Information Centre and is also quite steep. Apparently the low Oxygen can also play havoc with the cars...

The only other tip I would give is to enjoy the time up there - it really is one of those once in a life-time experiences!

Cheers,
Mario
Old 11-02-2016, 02:35 PM
gary

Absolutely sublime Mario!

Would love to see this on next year's IceInSpace calendar.

Sounds like you suffered for your art.

Best Regards

Gary
Old 13-02-2016, 06:24 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Lovely Mario
Never tire of that view. I have been lucky enough to have stood on the summit of MK 3 times and it is one of the most amazing places in the entire world.
It must have been quit clear at the time as you can see Heleakala on Maui very clearly and the Kohala range below.
The cold is quite surprising after coming up from tropical temps at sea level. My first trip up was on transit day in 2012 and trying to use a solar scope in minus 10 degrees with a similar wind blowing and lack of oxygen fogging the brain was no fun at all.

Anyway, it is a lovely shot with lots of happy memories for me!!

Malcolm
Old 13-02-2016, 08:55 PM
h0ughy (David)

awesome image. I love the whole shot, the sky colours and the buildings. would also love the cold weather right now
Old 13-02-2016, 11:18 PM
skysailor (Peter)

Mario, great shot - thanks. Been up the mountain many times and never get sick of it... I lived on Maui for a few years and get back there quite often to visit friends - nice part of the world. Going again next week and I'll probably pop over to the big island and drive up the hill yet again.
cheers
Old 15-02-2016, 11:06 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Mario, great shot - thanks. Been up the mountain many times and never get sick of it... I lived on Maui for a few years and get back there quite often to visit friends - nice part of the world. Going again next week and I'll probably pop over to the big island and drive up the hill yet again.
cheers
Hmmm... Maui. Just love that island!! Friday night town parties, Haleakala, beaches, waterfalls, dodging Mustangs on the Road to Hana.

Love it

Malcolm
Old 16-02-2016, 07:48 AM
cybereye (Mario)
Mozzies love me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Hmmm... Maui. Just love that island!! Friday night town parties, Haleakala, beaches, waterfalls, dodging Mustangs on the Road to Hana.

Love it

Malcolm
It's the road out of Hana to the south which made for an "interesting" bus trip! Not much room on the dirt road with a nice little drop into the ocean below...

Cheers,
Mario
Old 16-02-2016, 10:25 AM
skysailor (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereye View Post
It's the road out of Hana to the south which made for an "interesting" bus trip! Not much room on the dirt road with a nice little drop into the ocean below...

Cheers,
Mario
The sealed road on the Western end of the island (beyond Kapalau) is also a great drive, very narrow too, not many tourists do it.
cheers