Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
John K

Guiding a 12.5" f/5 with 80mm f/6

Hi Guys,

As I am new to the whole Deep Space imaging thing, and before I commit to a guidescope, I need some advice to make sure I set things up right before spending lot's of $'s

I have a 12.5" f/5.1 reflector: Focal Length 1600mm. Looking to get a 80mm f/6 refractor as a guide scope: Focal Length 480mm.

I'll be using a SkyNyx 2.0 CCD camera to guide.

Questions: Is the focal length of the guidescope enough to give me accurate guiding? Will an 80mm scope be large enough and sensetive enough to guide with a SkyNyx at the 1600mm focal length?

John K.

Last edited by John K; 03-07-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 PM
toryglen-boy (Duncan)
Scotland to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Hi Guys,

As I am new to the whole Deep Space imaging thing, and before I commit to a guidescope, I need some advice to make sure I set things up right before spending lot's of $'s

I have a 12.5" f/5.1 reflector: Focal Length 1600mm. Looking to get a 80mm f/6 refractor as a guide scope: Focal Length 480mm.

I'll be using a SkyNyx 2.0 CCD camera to guide.

Questions: Is the focal length of the guidescope enough to give me accurate guiding? Will an 80mm scope be large enough and sensetive enough to guide with a SkyNyx at the 1600mm focal length?

John K.
Hi John

That should be ok, although my main concern is what is this gonna be mounted on? Your gonna need something pretty beefy to cope with a 12.5" OTA and guidescope, and all the associated fruit, and i dont even think an EQ6 would be up to the job.

for visual use yeah, but for taking shots, i wouldnt use anything more than an 8" OTA on my mount, overmounting is the key here.

Whats the rest of your equipment?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:56 PM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryglen-boy View Post
Hi John

That should be ok, although my main concern is what is this gonna be mounted on? Your gonna need something pretty beefy to cope with a 12.5" OTA and guidescope, and all the associated fruit, and i dont even think an EQ6 would be up to the job.

for visual use yeah, but for taking shots, i wouldnt use anything more than an 8" OTA on my mount, overmounting is the key here.

Whats the rest of your equipment?

G'day Duncan,

It's a 12.5" on a horseshoe equatorial - JMI NGT12 - looks like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkaz...7594183210993/

Aiming to mount it on the tub section: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkaz...7594183210993/ and if too heavy take off one of the counterweights from the bottom of the mirror cell: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkaz...7594183210993/

Have spoken to other owners. No issues. Some even mount a guidescope on the truss tubes - but that's for permanently mounted scopes.