Old 30-10-2018, 01:40 PM
billdan (Bill)

Astronomik Type 2c or Deep Sky RGB filters

Hi,

I should have enough funds available in 2 weeks to buy a ZWO ASI1600MM PRO and 8 slot filter wheel for 31mm filters.

Instead of getting the ZWO filters I want to go with Astronomik 31mm filters, but I am undecided which is better the LRGB Type 2c filter set or the more expensive Deep Sky RGB filters with the L2 Luminence filter.

Does anyone have an opinion on which set is better?

Cheers
Bill
Old 30-10-2018, 01:53 PM
billdan (Bill)

Here are the details of each set, as you can see the deep sky RGB set is more efficient at 500nm (OIII), but has a large gap where yellow should be, so I'm not sure if this creates issues with getting a white balance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (astronomik - Deep-SkyRGB.png)
60.6 KB84 views
Click for full-size image (astronomik Type 2c  LRGB.png)
91.2 KB75 views
Old 30-10-2018, 02:15 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
Here are the details of each set, as you can see the deep sky RGB set is more efficient at 500nm (OIII), but has a large gap where yellow should be, so I'm not sure if this creates issues with getting a white balance.
The Deep Sky filters look good to me. Having Oiii contribute to both green and blue is a good thing and the gap between green and red reduces the impact of light pollution and shouldn't cause issues with colour balance (Astrodon filters have the same gap and I've never found it a problem.)

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 30-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Bill, I use the Deep Sky RGB set with an L2 and don't have any issues with colour balance (at least, that aren't of my own making!)

My previous set had OIII falling predominantly in the green filter and that just didn't look right...not an issue with the Deep Sky RGB
Old 30-10-2018, 05:53 PM
billdan (Bill)

Thanks Rick and thanks Dunk, I'll get Don at Bintel to get me the Deep Sky RGB and the L2 filters, plus the 6nm narrow band range.
Old 31-10-2018, 10:09 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Here is a link to a very interesting comparison test of many different brands including both Astronomiks:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/109613...h/28921555845/

I believe the Deep Sky filters were primarily designed to aid refractors that may be lacking in a bit in deep blue correction. You will notice that the cut off is considerably different between the two sets (380nm vs 410nm). I do find that FWHM is better in blue with these compared to the type 2c, however, the penalty is perhaps about 1/3rd longer integration.

Peter
Old 01-11-2018, 12:03 AM
billdan (Bill)

Thanks a lot for that link Peter, there are some scary looking images there, halos etc.
It appears if the filter is 41mm away from the sensor the image look good, but when the filter is 31mm away from the sensor everything goes pear shaped.

With the ZWO ASI1600 camera and filter wheel, I think the distance between filter and sensor is about 15mm, so I have no idea how that will look.

Point taken about the blue filter cut off wavelength and the extra exposure time needed compared to the 2c blue. The gear will be used on my Newt and I think Strongman Mike uses Deep Sky RGB on his Newt, and I haven't heard him complain.

Cheers
Bill
Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Mind you I'm not complaining! I've used both types of filters but with two different cameras; type 2c with a KAF8300 and the DS with KAF16200, but with same TEC180. The need for increased exposure came as a little surprise but so far I'm pleased with the colour balance and resolution.

Peter
Old 01-11-2018, 01:13 PM
billdan (Bill)

Thanks Peter
Old 01-11-2018, 07:15 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

I use the Deep Sky RGB in the Starlightxpress H694 and they work perfectly....then again, I use the Type 2c in the FLI and FSQ as well aaaand they seem perfectly ok too ....so meah...get the latest and greatest Deep Sky filters I recon

Mike
Old 12-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Giritboy

Good day everybody,

Sorry for Pulling up this old Thread.
How is the Astronomik deepsky RGB filters going for you guys so far? Getting any pretty images ?

Besides, I have seen some good images in astrobin for DS.

https://www.astrobin.com/search/?q=A...y%20RGB&page=3

Regards,
Old 12-06-2019, 05:38 PM
HenryNZ

With a Tak FS60 doublet the type 2c gives bloating in blue. The deep sky blue filter (I just bought the blue filter to save money) fixed it.
Old 13-06-2019, 08:52 AM
Giritboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryNZ View Post
With a Tak FS60 doublet the type 2c gives bloating in blue. The deep sky blue filter (I just bought the blue filter to save money) fixed it.
Thank you Henry for the Input.

Regards,
Girit