Old 20-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Carl

EQ6 pro scope handling

Greetings
I am thinking about the Bintel BT250 f/4 Imaging OTA and am wondering about the practical mount tollerances of my EQ6 pro mount. I have seen good reviews about its imaging cababilities in conjunctrion with the correct field flattener.
The question is whether or not the mount will handle it. My setup would include the scope, a small modified 9x50finder/guide scope with starshoot camera, main imaging camera a Canon 500d, plus rings and suitable losmandy style plate.
The EQ6 is permenantly mounted in my dome on a 180mm steel peir with 1/4 inch walls, the peir is sunk 4ft into the ground set in concrete, the tube is filled with builders sand. Very, very solid.
Am i pushing the mount for max 5 min exposures? This scope sounds just too good at the present price.

Regards
carl

Old 22-07-2011, 01:43 PM
gbeal

Nope, not if my 10" f4 newt is anything to benchmark it by, albeit in a home-made C/F tube, but still about 10 - 11 kilos.
Something else to look at with the list you suggest, if you slide the tube proper a little aft in the tube rings, it might mean you can slide the whole package forward in the saddle, giving a bit more of the dovetail rail sticking out towards the sky. If there was enough room, look at siting the finder-guider there, under the rail, and closest to the pivot point (RA axis), thereby reducing even further the "weight".
Gary