Old 16-08-2008, 10:29 PM
toyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Bob, DSLR is not a necessity at all, get yourself a Canon Angle finder, which you can use with any of the Canon range of cameras, and you wont have to use and software at all, just your eyes.

I use a Canon 5D and have never focused with any software assistance, ever, and 95% of the time it is pretty spot on.

Leon

Hi Leon

I use a 40D and thinking of getting a full-frame DSLR (eg. 5D). Have you directly compared 40D with your 5D for imaging? Just wondering if it will make any significant difference (other than the fact that it's a full-frame camera). I usually pick the 12" LX200 for imaging.
Old 17-08-2008, 09:39 AM
leon

No, I have to admit that I have not made any comparison with the 40D or any other camera for that matter, so I can't really say to much in this area.

Having said that, I did used a 20D for about a week, and the fact that I had been spoiled with the 5D I didn't really like the 1.6 crop factor of the smaller sensor of the 20D, although it proved to be a ripper of a camera.

This was because I like to do wide field imaging.

As you know the full frame 5D has a 1 to 1 ratio, and seeing I really like the wide fields that I mainly image, this camera was perfectly suited to my Tak-106, they are a brilliant camera in MHO, and very solid in build, and very easy to use, even if it has 50 plus custom functions.

Leon.
Old 17-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Sharnbrook (Mike)

Another consideration, which lead me to purchasing a 40D, is the compatability with the 300/350D. My 300D died whilst I was overseas, and I had to buy a replacement. The 450D came immediately to mind, but the batteries are different and so are the cards. As I had 4 batteries, and about 6 CF cards, the costs of buying all new batteries and cards, together with the fact that Canon had a 140 pound ($300 approx) cashback offer, made it an obvious choice. Add to this the fact that I have been able to repair my 300D,(the main mirror had become partially detached, and was flopping around) and now I have 2 cameras with totally interchangeable cards and batteries. A real bonus IMO.

Just another angle.
Old 17-08-2008, 12:22 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
Also, DSLR Focus seems to be a necessary purchase for complete beginner like me.
The 40D/450D's have live focus and if you need automated exposures, get a Canon TC Timer Remote or equivalent.

Another option is to use Images Plus.

Personally I love focusing using the live focus (20Da) and the Canon TC-80N3 Timer Remote.
Old 17-08-2008, 01:52 PM
leon

Have to agree with you Andrew, those TC-80N3 units are just brilliant.

Leon
Old 17-08-2008, 01:56 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Have to agree with you Andrew, those TC-80N3 units are just brilliant.

Leon
Yep, and if I didn't need to autoguide, I wouldn't need a laptop out in the field at all !

The best little gadget for the camera in my opinion, along with the Angle C finder too.
Old 17-08-2008, 05:21 PM
gregbradley

I have had a Nikon D70 which I modified and a Canon 20D which I modified and used (I have modified several 20Ds). I now have a stock 40D and it is a lovely camera. I haven't used or even seen a 450D.

But I would say that I read a post on the Yahoo digital astro group once that to notice the difference in an image with extra megapixels it has to be a large % increase in the number of pixels to be noticeable - like 25%.

So 10 versus 12 megapixels is therefore not really distinguishable in images.

So I would disregard the extra number of megapixels when making the comparison.

Also smaller pixels usually means more noise as you have more pixels capturing the same amount of light and each with its amplifier etc.

Greg.
Old 17-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Jeff
Starry Eyed

I mulled over the 450D and 40D for about 2 weeks ... ended up purchasing the 450D due to a few things important to me:
- both have similar features (software/modes, 3" screen, live view, sensor size, etc)
- 40D body costs about $200 to $300 more but is heavy (740g versus 475g)
- 40D faster max shooting rate and slightly better S/N at high ISOs not critical for me
- I prefer higher resolution of the 450D (12.2 vs 10.1Mp) for enlargements

When the 450D eventually becomes a limiting factor for me down the track (as opposed to my expertise, mount, scopes and lack of flatteners/filters), then I'll probably add dedicated peltier cooled CCD imager ... which will hopefully be even better in a couple of years (thermo controlled to save juice, >10Mp, cheaper, etc).

Have fun, whatever you get.

Jeff