Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 28-09-2019, 11:42 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,704
SMC and 47 Tuc

I shot this field as my short first light test image with the FSQ106 and PL16803 setup two years ago and although I was very happy with the performance of the brand new rig, I didn't take enough care with the framing and it needed more exposure plus some Ha and OIII to add some colour and more features.

So, two clear nights during the week allowed me to revisit this little galaxy with the blazing 47 Tuc in tow (and the often overlooked smaller but beautiful GC NGC 362) and gather 13hrs total exposure through 6 filters with a better framing... by fiddling with camera rotation, I have managed to squeeze in about 95% of the SMC plus 47 Tuc and NGC362 and I am much happier with this result

SMC and 47 Tuc (click on image and pan around with your cursor)

For a search of the huge collection of star clusters and nebulae in the galaxy why not go for a surf around the Full Res image

Hope you enjoy

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SMC small.jpg)
158.8 KB211 views
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29-09-2019, 04:46 AM
Slawomir's Avatar
Slawomir (Suavi)
Amateur Photon Collector

Slawomir is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Proserpine
Posts: 3,002
Wow, that's what I call a proper FOV

I don't recall ever seeing both globulars and the entire SMC in one image. Great colours and pinpoint stars - another winner from Mike
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29-09-2019, 07:28 AM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,446
A marvellous image. Very striking and great Ha blending.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29-09-2019, 08:18 AM
h0ughy's Avatar
h0ughy (David)
DOGHOUSE REBORN

h0ughy is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NEWCASTLE NSW Australia
Posts: 30,662
wow what a field of view!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29-09-2019, 08:24 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Placidus is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Euchareena, NSW
Posts: 3,118
The NB RGB worked brilliantly. All our favourite emission nebulae in the LMC stand out. A rich and beautiful image.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29-09-2019, 08:32 AM
glenc's Avatar
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

glenc is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Terranora
Posts: 4,089
An amazing image
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29-09-2019, 09:18 AM
RyanJones
Registered User

RyanJones is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 806
Beautiful image Michael
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29-09-2019, 01:14 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,280
Love it!
You've nailed the composition & colours beautifully - another crackerjack image Mike.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29-09-2019, 02:01 PM
ozstronomer's Avatar
ozstronomer (Geoff)
Registered User

ozstronomer is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 950
Great image Mike, really like the Ha blending

Well done
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29-09-2019, 02:45 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Wow, that's what I call a proper FOV

I don't recall ever seeing both globulars and the entire SMC in one image. Great colours and pinpoint stars - another winner from Mike
Cheers Sous-vide There are quite a few shots out there showing both globs, just google Small Magellanic Cloud . Had I had the 645 reducer it would have fitted 100% of the SMC in, both globs and a little space around....this was close though

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A marvellous image. Very striking and great Ha blending.

Greg.
Thanks Greg, there is OIII in there too, you can see the turquoise-blue in places but as is often the case the OIII is in the same spot as the Ha so the blend of the two in those areas tends to just result in a lighter pink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
wow what a field of view!!
Thanks Dave, nice to be able to squeeze this baby in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
The NB RGB worked brilliantly. All our favourite emission nebulae in the LMC stand out. A rich and beautiful image.
Thanks M&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenc View Post
An amazing image
Thanks Glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Beautiful image Michael
Thanks Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Love it!
You've nailed the composition & colours beautifully - another crackerjack image Mike.
Glad you think so Andy...actually, when I am composing images I do usually think of you, I have always tried to consider composition but like the presence of decon worms and spots is mine composition has definitely become your trademark feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozstronomer View Post
Great image Mike, really like the Ha blending

Well done
Thanks Geoff, there's OIII in there too

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29-09-2019, 07:14 PM
Atmos's Avatar
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Atmos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,288
I've gone and compared this to my 15 panel mosaic and you're right, with the rotation of the camera you've managed to capture nearly the entire thing in one shot! That alone is pretty impressive

Mine was a pure RGB and the nebulosity increase that you've managed with the addition of Ha and OIII REALLY make it pop
Really well handed Mike.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29-09-2019, 07:18 PM
peter_4059's Avatar
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

peter_4059 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,046
That's turned out well Mike. Really like the colours and composition.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29-09-2019, 07:23 PM
marc4darkskies's Avatar
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

marc4darkskies is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Quialigo, NSW
Posts: 2,648
Superb image Mike! One of the best I've seen of this region.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29-09-2019, 07:47 PM
Paul Haese's Avatar
Paul Haese
Registered User

Paul Haese is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 9,403
The field of view is epic. I too don't think I have seen an image with both globular clusters. In fact there are quite a few clusters in the field of view. The amount of hydrogen is huge across the field. Not sure if I have ever seen all these gas clouds before. There are bubbles every where. The Ha and OIII data inclusion is a great idea. The only thing I think I would change would be dropping the saturation on the Ha just a little. It's looks a bit fluro to me. Other than that it is a great image. Resolution is nice also. I particularly like the large image.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29-09-2019, 07:52 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I've gone and compared this to my 15 panel mosaic and you're right, with the rotation of the camera you've managed to capture nearly the entire thing in one shot! That alone is pretty impressive

Mine was a pure RGB and the nebulosity increase that you've managed with the addition of Ha and OIII REALLY make it pop
Really well handed Mike.
Thanks Col As I said my first light shot at it two years ago was a little lack lustre and not framed well enough, so I was keen to have another go and do it properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
That's turned out well Mike. Really like the colours and composition.
Thanks Peter, glad to hear it, I went rather colourful compared to many other SMC shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
Superb image Mike! One of the best I've seen of this region.
Wow thanks Marcus

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29-09-2019, 07:59 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
The field of view is epic. I too don't think I have seen an image with both globular clusters. In fact there are quite a few clusters in the field of view. The amount of hydrogen is huge across the field. Not sure if I have ever seen all these gas clouds before. There are bubbles every where. The Ha and OIII data inclusion is a great idea. The only thing I think I would change would be dropping the saturation on the Ha just a little. It's looks a bit fluro to me. Other than that it is a great image. Resolution is nice also. I particularly like the large image.
Thanks Paul, yeah there are a few shots out there showing both globs at a similar image scale, the 645 reducer would have done it perfectly...but not quite as much resolution then either of course. Yes I did go "colourful" and I certainly ummed and ahhed but seemed ok with the higher level of saturation in the end and think (hope?) I managed to teeter on the edge without falling off the saturation cliff

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30-09-2019, 02:03 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,446
The SMC is a very odd shape. Is that a hint of a leftover spiral structure I see in it?

I can't imagine it formed into that irregular shape without the MWay distorting it big time.

Also all the blue stars. Is that because it has lots of new hot stars?

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 30-09-2019, 03:04 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 14,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
The SMC is a very odd shape. Is that a hint of a leftover spiral structure I see in it?

I can't imagine it formed into that irregular shape without the MWay distorting it big time.

Also all the blue stars. Is that because it has lots of new hot stars?

Greg.
Regarding the shape of the SMC, this article may explain it? namely:

"In looking at this data, the team also observed that all the stars within the Wing—that southeast part of the SMC—are moving in a similar direction and speed. This demonstrates the SMC and LMC likely had a collision a few hundred million years ago."

There are several reasons for the prominent blue/teal/cyan in my image..

1) There are a lot of blue giants and plenty of star birth going on!(Great article here)
2) I added OIII to the mix which imparts a slight teal-cyan hue
3) I just like the look with the blue/cyan/teal turned up a little

While I have certainly favoured the blue for my own aesthetic preferences, there is no doubt the SMC is indeed rather blue see:

Gendler and Gendler et al (multiple scopes, including DSS data) and Lorenzi

Hope that was helpful Greg

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 30-09-2019, 03:14 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,446
Thanks for that Mike. Most interesting.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 30-09-2019, 05:14 PM
LostInSp_ce's Avatar
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

LostInSp_ce is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 405
There's so much happening I don't even know where to start, kinda like being in a candy store where you just want everything. The amount of detail you've captured is astonishing. We're very fortunate to have members of your calibre in here share their work. Thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 06:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement