Old 28-11-2005, 08:03 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Can't recall what I paid for postage Mike, but I don't think it was anywhere near that. If he has to send the P adapter you should try to get the graduated tobacco filter at the same time.

Last edited by acropolite; 15-01-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 15-01-2006, 08:10 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Stuart was asking about this topic and the following additional notes may be of interest.
I found a cheaper place than the one in the start of this thread so you may want to try them. http://stores.ebay.com/QualityFoto_...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm
I bought the following filters (all for cokin p series)
graduated tobacco
graduated neutral density
circular polarising
mike also bought a graduated sunset

If I were buying again I would also get a couple of neutral density filters in different strengths (QualityFoto lists ND2 and ND4) and a couple of the stackable P series hoods (they have 3 for $14.95) and possibly a cross star filter and a graduated sky filter.

If you have the standard Canon 17-55 lens you will need a 58 mm T adapter which QualityFoto doesn't have listed, but most likeley will have; email him and ask, you may want to also buy T rings to suit any other lenses you have. Make sure you read the notes on shipping as they all seem to charge per item unfortunately and there are some notes on combined orders as the first item is $4.25 and each additional item $2.00. The note says
Combined shipping - If bidding on multiple items, please complete checkout after all auctions have ended to ensure you receive all S/H discounts. Once you complete checkout, you will not be able to combine additional auctions.

Last edited by acropolite; 15-01-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 15-01-2006, 08:44 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Sorry I haven't replied yet Stuart - i'll reply here as well.

Do I prefer the cokin-type over the screw in? I dunno, I guess it's more convenient. The slip-in slip-out is handy and fast. The filter holder holds a circular polariser and 3 filters, though the middle slot has no spring things to hold it in place, so it falls out easily.

I've used the circular polariser, the sunset, the graduated grey, the graduated tobacco and the 6x ND. They're all great except for maybe the sunset filter, which would only be useful in some circumstances.

I've stacked the graduated grey as well as the 6x ND to really be able to push the exposure times without overexposing - I found it especially useful for waterfall shots, where I'd use the filters, stop the lens down to f/22 or more and expose for 8-10 seconds.

The ebay store at the beginning of the thread was fine to deal with, although postage wasn't cheap.
Old 15-01-2006, 08:51 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Here's an example of 2 shot I took with the circular polariser, 6xND and graduated grey stacked to allow a 10 second exposure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (leuracascades3.jpg)
101.7 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (somersbyfalls-019.jpg)
114.6 KB22 views
Old 15-01-2006, 09:11 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Mike wrote
Quote:
though the middle slot has no spring things to hold it in place, so it falls out easily
Mike, my filters stay put in the middle slot no problem, the middle slot is spring loaded on mine although not the using same mechanism as the other slots. One of the main advantages of the P system is the ability to raise or lower graduated filters, something which is unachievable with circular screw in filters. One quirk of some of the canon lenses is that the front element rotates during focussing. The T adapter rotates in the P adapter to allow compensation for the front element rotation.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:14 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I've decided to buy a 4-star cross filter in the clone cokin P-series.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Will look nice for night-time shots etc.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:59 AM
acropolite (Phil)

That one's on my list as well as a couple of ND filters. There are also some inexpensive stacking lens hoods which would be worth getting.
Old 14-04-2006, 08:50 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

My filter arrived yesterday.. need to take a night trip into the city to test it out I reckon.