Old 22-12-2012, 04:30 PM
xcoupeb

ccd for rc8

Hi folks i have decided to take a step up from the dslr and am looking at dedicated ccd. Im looking for a good match with the gso rc8 and would like one that doubles as a guider. i have searched the forums and see that Paul got good results with the qsi and this scope however that ccd is a bit out of the price range at this stage.
think i will go with a osc and the budget is around the 2k mark.
any suggestions..
Old 22-12-2012, 10:40 PM
nobbygon (Angus)

Hi xcoupeb,

I hate to say this but I think you are going to struggle to find anything in that price range. The qsi w/OAGs start from 4500 and the sbig w/OAG is 5000. I can't comment on the older sbig self guiding cameras as I've never had any experience, but I'm sure they aren't any cheaper.

I'm currently using a QHY9 w/filter wheel with good results. Perhaps you should up your budget and save for a while or look at getting a guide scope.

What's turning you off a monochrome sensor?
Old 22-12-2012, 11:37 PM
allan gould

As an OSC I can recommend the QHY8 or 10 OSC as I have owned them both (and also own a QSI583wsg)
Old 23-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Osirisra (Ken)
Dead God

I have a QHY8L on my RC8, still ironing out some minor issues but over all it seems to perform quite well. I would recommend upgrading the focuser tho on the RC8, I got a Moonlite and couldn't be happier. I also run a Orion OAG with a Meade DSI II for the guide scope which isn't the best OAG but will have to do for now.
Old 23-12-2012, 10:10 PM
naskies (Dave)

If you're interested in a KAF-8300 chip, the QHY9C (OSC) is $1650 brand new from a local dealer: http://www.gamaelectronics.com.au/QHY9.html

It may be slightly out of your price range, but SBIG recently dropped the price of their STF-8300C OSC camera to $1795 USD. You'd have to check with the local dealer to see whether this pricing has filtered down, but OPT are willing to ship from the US. Their OAG is quite expensive though, and they didn't appear to have reduced the price of their camera + OAG packages.

OSC cameras also pop up in the IIS Classifieds here every now and again if you're patient. There were a few that sold here recently for pretty good prices.
Old 24-12-2012, 06:09 AM
xcoupeb

Thanks for the replies, was looking at off axis guiding as my current setup with piggybacked guide scope is a bit hit and miss and thought if i could get cam and guider in one would be good but funds wont allow.

May have to look at getting qhy which will leave me a bit for an oag.

Ken, what sort of issues are you having with the qhy8?
Old 25-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Osirisra (Ken)
Dead God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoupeb View Post
Thanks for the replies, was looking at off axis guiding as my current setup with piggybacked guide scope is a bit hit and miss and thought if i could get cam and guider in one would be good but funds wont allow.

May have to look at getting qhy which will leave me a bit for an oag.

Ken, what sort of issues are you having with the qhy8?
No issues with the QHY8L directly, it a good bit of kit, just issues with the whole setup getting the sweet spot of focus, collimation, sensor alignment and OAG focus and alignment and correct positioning for the CCDT67 as well. Just trial and error.
Old 25-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Poita (Peter)

You can borrow my qhy8 if you like. I reckon they are a great match for that scope. Drop me a message and ill send it over