Old 30-10-2010, 01:16 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Do very long Exposures hurt D/SLR's??

Hi Folks.

I just ordered a 10-22 mm EF-S Lens,(at these current prices,with AUD strong it hard not to buy some camera kit at present).

I plan to use it quite a bit for wide angle astro-photography.'

One project-to get some star trails in circles near pole,We have all seen these type of images where the shutter is left open for 30 minutes or more.

I did hear some where that it may not be good for camera.is this so??

Can it cause damage??.What are the thoughts of more experienced members for leaving shutter open for long exposures??,I really want to do quite a few projects with this new lens at night/dusk where shutter is open for 'longish'
time frames.

Thanks for any help.

P.S Does anyone here have advice on hood for this lens,some say you need it outdoors,others say its not needed at all.

Thanks,Chris
Old 30-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Virgs

I used to have this lens when I was using a 30D and it is fantastic. I brought a hood for it of ebay as it was much cheaper!. As for long exposures hurting the camera - nope I have done 6 hour star trails at 5 minute iterations on a regular basis both on the 30D and with the newer IDMK111 that I am now using. I have shot individual frames of 30 minute and 40 minute duration with no problems either and to put it in perspective, I have over 100,000 shots so far on the 1DMK111. Yes I do a lot of photography!!!
Old 30-10-2010, 04:11 PM
hotspur (Chris)

re long exp.

Ok,thanks Virgs,I was of the impression that it was ok to do long exp with these type of cameras,just wanted to make sure.

Yes,I have heard and seen a lot of good reports on the 10-22 mm wide angle Canon lens,seems like it will get a lot of use when I get it.

I am looking forward to doing lots of 'just on dusk' landscape photography.

Just wondering if anyone has any links to these Ebay hood sellers?

Thank you,Chris.

P.S Virgs-that's a lot of photography! you do to get that many images,how long a time frame did you clock up that amount? cheers.