Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 22-02-2020, 11:41 AM
carneb (Barry)

Skywatcher Evostar 150ED Deluxe version worth the extra?

There seem to be some good discounts on the 150ED at the moment and I'm thinking of upgrading from my Evostar 80ED.

There seems to be plenty of reviews online of the standard version, but not the deluxe version. The 150ED standard focuser looks the same as the 80ED focuser so I have experience with that. The deluxe focuser is I believe the same as on the Esprit which I have no experience with, and reading reviews of the Esprit it seems some people are happy with it and others upgrade the focuser. Is it worth the extra money to get the better focuser and tube rings?
Old 22-02-2020, 12:35 PM
casstony

On the basic version the focuser is fine for visual use but the 2" drawtube and limited backfocus is restrictive for imaging. The Vixen style dovetail bar is not strong enough to hold the scope steady and needs to be changes for a wider bar.

If you only intend to use the scope visually get the basic version and upgrade the dovetail bar.
If you intend to image as well the DX version has a much better focuser along with the better rings/dovetail.

Note that the 150ED isn't designed for imaging and stars will bloat somewhat with broadband imaging, but it still does a reasonable job for the casual imager.
Old 22-02-2020, 04:27 PM
glend (Glen)

I would suggest no, if you really want one just buy the basic version, if your happy with it you can always put a Moonlight focuser on it later on. And as casstony has noted, colour fringing or bloat is a given in the ED150 duplex objective, and there is plenty written on this in the Cloudy Nights forum threads where it has been discussed. Consider the discounting now bring offered to move these scopes, which indicates to me there are not many buyers around. I was originally wait listed for them when Skywatcher first announced them, but their unwillingness to disclose the glass used in the objective, convinced me to drop off the list. There are 150mm triplets around at a reasonable cost, which imho, are a better long term investment and do not cost that much more.
Old 22-02-2020, 06:53 PM
carneb (Barry)

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be using the scope mainly for imaging with a bit of visual. The reviews I looked at didn't mention the issue with star bloat but I've now had a read about it on the Cloudy Nights threads. Looks like it's off my list too.
Old 22-02-2020, 07:36 PM
casstony

150ED is good with narrow band or L-Enhance filter (carina) but stars bloat with broadband (Cent A)

It's a great visual scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ngc3372_300120_ABE12% - Copy.jpg)
177.4 KB151 views
Click for full-size image (ngc5128_300120_ABE19%.jpg)
139.6 KB137 views
Old 22-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by carneb View Post
There seem to be some good discounts on the 150ED at the moment and I'm thinking of upgrading from my Evostar 80ED.

There seems to be plenty of reviews online of the standard version, but not the deluxe version. The 150ED standard focuser looks the same as the 80ED focuser so I have experience with that. The deluxe focuser is I believe the same as on the Esprit which I have no experience with, and reading reviews of the Esprit it seems some people are happy with it and others upgrade the focuser. Is it worth the extra money to get the better focuser and tube rings?
I have the Esprit and I am more than happy with the focusser
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P1050599.jpg)
45.6 KB114 views