Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 17-01-2020, 12:29 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

What's the worst thing about your Job.

Jet A-1 ....I used to re-fuel Orion P3B's ...access to the tanks was under the wings, I nearly pass out from the smell of the fuel.
Never did enjoy testing for the presence of water in the fuel tanks either.
You'd have to ' poke ' a probe into the ' spring loaded ' fuel outlet ...get about a ' small beaker ' of fuel in it and put 2 x 'Tablets ' into it.....if it went ' pink ' ....water is present.

What I didn't like about ' poking the probe ' into the fuel outlet....the fuel would run down my arm into my armpit, and of course Aviation Jet A-1 would ' dry ' out your skin and the smell would remain on your clothes until you had at least a ' wash ' to stop your skin from being dry.

Even today, I sometimes feel ' ill ' fueling up my car at the local Service Station.

Col......

Old 17-01-2020, 01:16 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Blackberries... they can all go die! As a gardener, as much as flies during summer aggravate me, I’d gladly go at the blackberry bushes with a frame thrower but alas I work within the petroleum industry.
Old 17-01-2020, 02:15 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

People.

Nuff said
Old 17-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Pepper (Steve)

I for one actually like my job. yeah I may have to crawl in 60 degree roof spaces, get spiders in my hair, crawl under houses through damp, through mould, through animal leavings. and apart from dog bites, pig bites, steep roof pitches, suffer electric shocks, skinned knuckles or wondering if the crazy looking owner of the shack im at in the middle of nowhere has designs on me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, still love my job. getting to travel 1000+ km per week through our beautiful countryside makes up for all the downfalls.
Old 17-01-2020, 04:15 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

The risk of shock while making and servicing valve amplifiers.
450 to 500 volts in these things.
Old 17-01-2020, 05:08 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Dealing with Teenagers who don't give a toss about their future and are so self entitled they really anger me. what's worse is their parents who know they do no wrong........ THANKFULLY they are in a small minority.
Old 17-01-2020, 08:39 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

I'm with Lewis. The more people I meet, the more I like my wife's cat!
Old 17-01-2020, 09:13 PM
Wavytone

Love the job except for:

1. The risk of coming into contact with high voltage electricity (1500VDC, and 11kVAC to 132kVAC).

2. The daily commute.
Old 17-01-2020, 09:34 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashDrive View Post
Jet A-1

Even today, I sometimes feel ' ill ' fueling up my car at the local Service Station.

Col......

I dunno Col - Avtur / A-1 makes me frisky. Loved the smell of it since being subjected to it as a baby I reckon it's in my blood (could explain a lot).

How petrol fumes reminds you of kero is beyond me - I think your olfactory is on the way out Kero is the fuel from Prometheus himself...

Living right at an airport wasn't by mistake - sight, sound, smell...it never gets out of your blood.
Old 17-01-2020, 11:06 PM
RyanJones

For the most part I love my job. Probably my least enjoyable part is shared between 2 things;

Customers googling the problem with their car then not understanding why 20 years of experience trumps what they found in a blog.

Being asked to do a job at a lower standard for a multitude of reasons.

Luckily I've found myself in a position where I don't have to deal with either very much but when I do, it frustrates the hell out of me.
Old 18-01-2020, 01:02 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
How petrol fumes reminds you of kero is beyond me
Just for you I'll be more specific ....the ' smell ' of any fuel at my age makes me feel rather ill....how kids ' sniff ' this stuff to get ' high ' is beyond me.

Even exhaust fumes at undercover Car Parks at Westfield Shopping Centers isn't good for me ....especially Diesel Fumes.

I can tolerate it for a brief moment, but not sustained exposure, otherwise I want to ' throw up ' or dry reach.

My Ticker doesn't like it at all.....

Col.
Old 18-01-2020, 06:37 AM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Trade unions
Old 18-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Robair (Robert)
Seeing is Not Believing

Entitled and precocious Account Managers who seem to think the entire planet and all it contains exists solely to cater to their every whim.
Old 18-01-2020, 08:23 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robair View Post
Entitled and precocious Account Managers who seem to think the entire planet and all it contains exists solely to cater to their every whim.
Account managers think 9 women can make one baby in one month.
Old 18-01-2020, 08:37 AM
DarkArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Nailed it!

For me: egos, ignorance and way too many 'managers' concerned only with their own power, influence and advancement. And politics in the workplace. And cliques and factions that undermine professionalism. And lack of probity. And lack of critical thinking. And dilapidated information systems that are no faster or reliable than the paper systems they replaced. And pointless, time-wasting bureaucracy ... and ...

I think I'm ready to retire!
Old 18-01-2020, 08:37 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Now be careful, I believe several accountants/retired accountants reside on this forum... they lurk in the shadows... (no, not me!)
Old 18-01-2020, 08:43 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArts View Post
Nailed it!

For me: egos, ignorance and way too many 'managers' concerned only with their own power, influence and advancement. And politics in the workplace. And cliques and factions that undermine professionalism. And lack of probity. And lack of critical thinking. And dilapidated information systems that are no faster or reliable than the paper systems they replaced. And pointless, time-wasting bureaucracy ... and ...

I think I'm ready to retire!
Having worked AT (but not per se for nor with) Defence, the daily pounding hedaches from repeated bashing your head against the wall, desk, floor, and finally windows to LET ME THE HELL OUT got too much.

Much happier doing what I do now in my "low end" - yet damned happy daily - job.
Old 18-01-2020, 08:59 AM
Robair (Robert)
Seeing is Not Believing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Now be careful, I believe several accountants/retired accountants reside on this forum... they lurk in the shadows... (no, not me!)
Hi Lewis
I wasn’t taking a pot shot at Accountants, they are extremely useful and deserve their place in civilised society and business. Account Managers on the other hand.....
I do apologise to any Account Managers out there who are reading this, if you are offended just send me a PM, I’ll give you my address and you can send me your tiara which I will dutifully polish and return to you.
Old 18-01-2020, 09:04 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

@Col. I wonder if the new P-8s have given consideration to this issue in their design/use? Coalface knowledge/experience is not given the value it deserves.

Which leads me to my rant. I love my job. But serving in a Federal Government job, whilst still retaining a "small business" mindset, is a recipe for irritation.

My immediate management is wonderful. Though, seemingly strategically placed, are managers intent on invalidating successful ideas/programs by installing rules that merely tick their own isolated boxes/values. If people followed these rules, NOTHING would get done. And "nothing getting done" is a perfectly acceptable outcome to them. Meanwhile, as taxpayers, and artists in our craft(s), the workers know that the world must keep turning... Sadly, what I consider my best accomplishments, cannot be shared beyond our immediate workgroup/customers. It's just not worth the headache.
Old 18-01-2020, 11:42 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

I only have a few regular jobs like feed the dogs, mow the lawn, wash the car.... so I guess I can't complain......

As for employment, I gave that up after turning 50 and haven't missed it a bit.....