Old 07-05-2018, 07:57 AM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

QHY8L image issues

Folks,
Was wondering if anyone could tell me how to fix this image issue.

Using a freshly installed Windows 7 Ultra with all updates for Windows and all sofware needed to run my imaging equipment. Reason for a fresh install was because it was happening before and only just in the last week and I thought maybe a reinstall would somehow fix it.

Using Maxim DL, EZCAP and Nebulousity2 gives the same outcome. All USB connected devices are running fine and working as they should.

All LED lights on the QHY8L camera power supply are lit as designed.

There are no screen errors just this horrible output image.

Any ideas anyone??

Many thanks for looking.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Maxim DL Setup.jpg)
184.2 KB86 views
Click for full-size image (QHY8L Setup.jpg)
161.6 KB59 views
Old 07-05-2018, 02:55 PM
billdan (Bill)

I had lines like that on my QHY12 and I had to send it back to China for repair and they replaced the main board (corrosion on the tracks).

Cost was pretty reasonable, $65 each way for airfreight and $85 inc labour for a new main board. Turn around time was 3 weeks.

You will have to start a service ticket and they will email you the return procedure.

http://starsensesci.com/helpticket/

Cheers
Bill
Old 07-05-2018, 03:31 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Similar issue with an SX M26R recently. Popped tantalum capacitor was the culprit.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:52 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
I had lines like that on my QHY12 and I had to send it back to China for repair and they replaced the main board (corrosion on the tracks).

Cost was pretty reasonable, $65 each way for airfreight and $85 inc labour for a new main board. Turn around time was 3 weeks.

You will have to start a service ticket and they will email you the return procedure.

http://starsensesci.com/helpticket/

Cheers
Bill
Thanks Bill for your words, been onto the QHY site and QinXiaoXu has updated a lot of the dll files etc and told me to try these first...see what happens, lets hope it will be a simple fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Similar issue with an SX M26R recently. Popped tantalum capacitor was the culprit.
Thanks Lewis, That sounds a bit on the definite send back for repairs, but if thats the case I will have to bite the bullet.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:33 AM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Thanks Bill, I think you may be on the nail with this problem, installed the updated SDKs from QHY as requested by QinXiaoXu, took a couple of test shots last night and never made any difference to my problem, suppose its a step to determine the rule out....If there any way to visually inspect the mainboard for this corrosion?
Paul
Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That looks like a typical failure of the cooling. I had that once with a faulty power to the peltier.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:05 AM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That looks like a typical failure of the cooling. I had that once with a faulty power to the peltier.
Thanks Marc, never thought about that either...Even though Maxim DL is reporting the set temp and the minor fluxuations?

Paul
Old 08-05-2018, 06:37 PM
billdan (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeb61 View Post
Thanks Bill, I think you may be on the nail with this problem, installed the updated SDKs from QHY as requested by QinXiaoXu, took a couple of test shots last night and never made any difference to my problem, suppose its a step to determine the rule out....If there any way to visually inspect the mainboard for this corrosion?
Paul
I would first inspect the USB socket itself with a magnifying glass and look for rust on the gold contacts, and if that looks OK then you can remove the rear cover and look for rust or corrosion on the PCB tracks. Just be careful you don't dislodge any jumper wires.
What happens with corrosive tracks the rust grow outwards and touch other tracks causing problems.
If you do find some, you can try and remove the corrosion a with small dry paint brush. If its bad, it should really go back to QHY for replacement.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:43 AM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Quote:
I would first inspect the USB socket itself with a magnifying glass and look for rust on the gold contacts, and if that looks OK then you can remove the rear cover and look for rust or corrosion on the PCB tracks. Just be careful you don't dislodge any jumper wires.
What happens with corrosive tracks the rust grow outwards and touch other tracks causing problems.
If you do find some, you can try and remove the corrosion a with small dry paint brush. If its bad, it should really go back to QHY for replacement.
Thanks Bill, will give this ago on the weekend and report back.

Great help and much appreciated!

Here's my link from QHY.....

http://qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=6471.0

Paul
Old 15-05-2018, 02:54 PM
billdan (Bill)

Hi Paul,

I have been following the QHY link you gave and I am a bit concerned that you cannot send the camera directly back to QHY now, due to a change in Chinese customs policy.
I hope they get this situation sorted out as it will effect a lot of users worldwide including ZWO camera users.

Bill

P.S. I wonder if this change in policy has anything to do with Trumps trade embargo on China.
Old 15-05-2018, 04:28 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Quote:
Hi Paul,

I have been following the QHY link you gave and I am a bit concerned that you cannot send the camera directly back to QHY now, due to a change in Chinese customs policy.
I hope they get this situation sorted out as it will effect a lot of users worldwide including ZWO camera users.

Bill

P.S. I wonder if this change in policy has anything to do with Trumps trade embargo on China.
Thanks Bill, that's the case, just got another message from QinXiaoXu and he states....

"Because of chinese customs policy,you can't directly send your camera to us now,I need inquiry my colleague that is responsible for this,but she has been on a business trip,I don't know if she will reply me.So,maybe you need wait one or two days.

Best Regards."

Now I'm getting a bit worried?

Paul
Old 15-05-2018, 05:04 PM
billdan (Bill)

I'm sure they will work out a solution, otherwise it will kill their international sales if you can't send cameras back for repair.
Old 17-05-2018, 12:26 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Quote:
I'm sure they will work out a solution, otherwise it will kill their international sales if you can't send cameras back for repair.
Hi Bill, looks like they have got back to me with return instructions, they appear to be a bit vague, do I start a ticket or run with this? Or start a ticket and add the ticket information to this online form? Which courier did you choose to send your camera back with?

Many thanks for your input on this, much appreciated.

Paul
Old 17-05-2018, 02:54 PM
billdan (Bill)

Hi Paul,

I just went to the Post Office and asked for it to be sent airmail to China with an address that QHY had provided to me.
My QHY12 originally came with an aluminium case so I sent the whole case back to them in an Aust Post provided cardboard box.

If QinXiaoXu has sent you the return info, just mark the parcel attention to his name.

I had to fill out this application form and send it attached to the box.
http://www.qhyccd.com/files/Product%...ion%20form.pdf

P.S. I replied to your email about opening up the QHY8L but it bounced back to me as undeliverable.

Cheers
Bill
Old 17-05-2018, 08:08 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Quote:
Hi Paul,

I just went to the Post Office and asked for it to be sent airmail to China with an address that QHY had provided to me.
My QHY12 originally came with an aluminium case so I sent the whole case back to them in an Aust Post provided cardboard box.

If QinXiaoXu has sent you the return info, just mark the parcel attention to his name.

I had to fill out this application form and send it attached to the box.
http://www.qhyccd.com/files/Product%...ion%20form.pdf

P.S. I replied to your email about opening up the QHY8L but it bounced back to me as undeliverable.

Cheers
Bill
Thanks Bill, Great big help and the return info you supplied looks more understanding than the one that was attached on the QHY site so I will use yours, did you attach this to the outside of the box or slipped it inside?? Many thanks for sending me the email and apologies for the bouncing back, I will now check my details in my profile here on IIS. edit..just checked and it had my old email address from way back, thanks for fixing that too!!

Paul
Old 17-05-2018, 08:39 PM
billdan (Bill)

This was 18 months ago, I think I left the form inside the box, but copied their shipping address for the destination on the box. Also for customs purposes don't call it a camera, its an image detector with a value of $30.00

At that time Aust Post charged me $65 to ship it airmail, may have gone up now. They will give you a tracking number. but you do get emails from Aust Post regularly telling you its progress.

Cheers
Bill
Old 18-05-2018, 09:23 AM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Quote:
This was 18 months ago, I think I left the form inside the box, but copied their shipping address for the destination on the box. Also for customs purposes don't call it a camera, its an image detector with a value of $30.00

At that time Aust Post charged me $65 to ship it airmail, may have gone up now. They will give you a tracking number. but you do get emails from Aust Post regularly telling you its progress.

Cheers
Bill
Thanks Bill, you have been a great help, sorry about all of the hassel questions, I will send it off this weekend, my local PO is open Saturdays so hopefully it will be on its way shortly, will keep you updated on the progress.

Paul
Old 18-05-2018, 04:54 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

After having undergone the same dramas with sending a Starlight Xpress camera back to the UK for serious repair, and in consultation with the owner of SX, he told me to declare it at £10, and as a "faulty webcam for repair by manufacturer". Cost me $79 to post it to the UK registered Express.

I imagine you could do the same going to China - I shipped a Tak bag once to a friend in China, and declared it at $10. Second hand is second hand - it's value is not a new item. Additionally, a faulty/broken item essentially has NO VALUE since it does not function, so there is no lie.

Good luck!
Old 20-05-2018, 11:28 AM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
After having undergone the same dramas with sending a Starlight Xpress camera back to the UK for serious repair, and in consultation with the owner of SX, he told me to declare it at £10, and as a "faulty webcam for repair by manufacturer". Cost me $79 to post it to the UK registered Express.

I imagine you could do the same going to China - I shipped a Tak bag once to a friend in China, and declared it at $10. Second hand is second hand - it's value is not a new item. Additionally, a faulty/broken item essentially has NO VALUE since it does not function, so there is no lie.

Good luck!
Thanks Lewis,

Exactly right, this is what QHY are stating as well...no commercial value etc, hopefully will not take too long to get it back, not the type of thing to happen when I have just built my new roll of obs and the only first light was a quick focus before the clouds rolled in....

Paul
Old 21-05-2018, 04:22 PM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

Well,
Its on its way back to China for repair, dropped it off today....hopefully it will not take too long to fix.

Paul