Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 07-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Pole Master - How accurate ?

I’ve been using the Synscan Polar Alignment routine on my 3 x Skywatcher mounts for about 3 years now with good results ( < 1 arc minute error ) as I have no view of the SCP. I use the alignment tool in BYEOS with my Canon 600D imaging camera set at 3 x zoom which works really well.I defocus my PA star to achieve accurate centering and alignment.

Out of pure interest my question is how accurate is Pole Master as the manufacturer claims accuracy down to 30 arc sec
Since most observing sites in Australia have latitudes of between 22 degrees and 38 degrees at the SCP , one would think less than favourable atmospheric conditions at these lower altitudes would limit the Pole Masters camera to achieve such tight polar alignment even with quality optics / pixel scale and sophisticated software.
When I use my Synscan PA routine my Polar Alignment stars are usually between 45 and 65 degrees in Altitude.

I welcome any comments from users of this product or folk who have progressed from Synscan to Pole Master

Thanks in advance
Old 07-08-2020, 06:46 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I disliked Pole Master immensely, but that was the early days with a Chinglish manual.

SharpCap is MUCH better and just uses your guide camera. At 10pounds a year, it’s well worth it. It’s remarkably accurate and I get to within seconds in 5 mins

You can look up my old posts about how flat my guide graphs are...a fantastic mount plus easy accurate PA
Old 07-08-2020, 08:23 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I disliked Pole Master immensely, but that was the early days with a Chinglish manual.

SharpCap is MUCH better and just uses your guide camera. At 10pounds a year, it’s well worth it. It’s remarkably accurate and I get to within seconds in 5 mins

You can look up my old posts about how flat my guide graphs are...a fantastic mount plus easy accurate PA
+1 for Sharpcap, no need for un-necessary expense. Btw watch out for manufacturer claims, there are alot of factors that can affect precision.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:41 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I’ve been using the PoleMaster for visual and wide field shots and found it to work really fast and well. I haven’t tried SharpCap yet as I have another program for my imaging setup.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:59 PM
dennisjames1

I have the Polemaster didn't work well for me where i'm located,agree the Sharpcap is the way to go if the south stars are poor where you are.

cheers

Dennis
Old 07-08-2020, 10:18 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:

Hey Lewis, I was thinking it might be best to use the main scope in case guide and main are not bang on orthogonal, ensuring the main scope is perfectly aligned.... but perhaps it means better guiding if you PA on your guider?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:36 PM
Xeteth (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Hey Lewis, I was thinking it might be best to use the main scope in case guide and main are not bang on orthogonal, ensuring the main scope is perfectly aligned.... but perhaps it means better guiding if you PA on your guider?
Actually it is stated in the SharpCap instructions that you don't need your guidescope and main scope to be aligned at all. You'll still achieve polar alignment - makes it a real breeze to use.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:38 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

I don't want to start an argument but unless you already own one then I think that the polemaster is redundant. Save yourself some money, SharpCap is the way to go.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks All for your comments to date
So my query about the accuracy of Pole Master has some merit then
I’m surprised so many notable Astrophotographers in the media still use Pole Master
I’m happy using the old school Synscan routine , I’m done in 10 minutes
No matter what you use, you still have to squat down and tweak those bolts
Another question, has anyone thought of motorised actuator Alt and Az bolts on mounts ??
Old 08-08-2020, 10:16 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I've used the SharpCap polar alignment feature ( in the freeware V2.9) occasionally.
Using the eFinder 60/250 it is very easy and seems to be very accurate.
The alignment of the finder is not an issue as the mount is rotated some 90 degrees during the PA process. It's the mount's polar axis which is being used, not the axis of the finder.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:50 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

As mentioned already, if you already use a guidescope or even OAG, SharpCap. No need for them to be orthogonal at all. MUCH easier than the Synscan PA too.

Pole master adds more cables, more (terrible) software, incorrect instructions for Southern Hemisphere, and more cost. It’ll be about 40 years of SharpCap annual renewals before you catch up to the Polemaster cost
Old 08-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I purchased the polemaster and use it religiously, I can even use it with sharpcap software, in the end they both work well.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:54 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Polemaster is good if you're setting up for visual - otherwise you'd have to attach your imaging chain just for polar alignment.

I like the simplicity of it, but although I prefer Firecap to Sharpcap for planetary photography, I do like sharpcap polar alignment and have started using it recently. For astrophotography it gives you good confidence that you're well aligned as you're using the imaging train you'll actually use to take the photos with.

I'm suprised thet (to my knowledge) no-one else has the same system going in their software.

Markus
Old 08-08-2020, 04:39 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Polemaster is good if you're setting up for visual - otherwise you'd have to attach your imaging chain just for polar alignment.

I like the simplicity of it, but although I prefer Firecap to Sharpcap for planetary photography, I do like sharpcap polar alignment and have started using it recently. For astrophotography it gives you good confidence that you're well aligned as you're using the imaging train you'll actually use to take the photos with.

I'm suprised thet (to my knowledge) no-one else has the same system going in their software.

Markus

I have actually asked if the creators of Sharp Cap would release a stand-alone PA app. I honestly have no use for the rest of their software as I don't do planetary.

I am still awaiting their reply.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:12 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Sharpcap works pretty well for deep sky as well
Old 08-08-2020, 08:30 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
I have actually asked if the creators of Sharp Cap would release a stand-alone PA app. I honestly have no use for the rest of their software as I don't do planetary.

I am still awaiting their reply.
Did you ask them to call it PolarCap ??