Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Lester

Registax4 multi alignment issues

Any help is appreciated.

I have been trying for many days now to do Registax4 multi alignment box processing with a Jupiter avi I captured on th 10th April.

I have tried altering the feather adjustment in the stacking process from 3 up to 9 and still get lines where the different boxes overlap.

I have tried large boxes and small boxes, overlapped a little bit and overlapped by over half of the next box with no improvement at all.

Here is the best result I have got in all this trying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (10ap08JUP3MULTI2NDFINAL.jpg)
131.8 KB39 views
Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Hey Lester, Bird has an answer. I have tried this and it seems to work really well.

I found that you can choose your alignment points and then get the FFT filter up. If you then click on alignment grid numbers where it lists all the alignment points. I found that the FFT went to 30...i then changed it to 9 and then i never got any seams at all.

i have tried it a few times and no seams. i even forgot to stack with feather turned on .. no seam

I even stacked different amounts in the stacking

--birds advice------------
As for working around the "features" in registax, here's a tip - after you've set your align points go to the "general options" -> "fft graph"
dialog and change the fft size from whatever registax has chosen (which is almost always completely wrong) to something sensible like 9 or 10.
The fft size sets some "blurring" to be done on the images before it tries to align them (but only during the align phase, not when stacking). This blurring removes noise and the idea is that the algorithm can do a better job if this value is set accurately. But, for reasons known only to Cor, it picks lousy default values. Larger values mean *less* blurring and so the align box is distracted by noise. I find the default value it picks is something like 20 or 30, way to large. Try
9 and see what happens.
watch the align box during the alignment phase, if it wanders around too much then the value is either too small (too much blurring) or too large (too much noise, cant see the details).
Old 07-05-2008, 01:49 AM
edwardsdj (Doug)
Doug Edwards

Thanks heaps for this information David. I've never had success with the multi-point alignment either.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:49 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I use MAP almost all the time on planetary images, and sometimes I do get seams like that, but most of the time it works fine for me.

It does work better when the seeing is good, and in your image above, it definitely should work.

What size alignment boxes are you using and where are you putting them?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:17 AM
saturnino

Unfortunately not there and' road with Registax, on the Multi Point.
If you have a very tottering resumption, the MultiPOint you strength's restituiscie a wrong image as yours.
I have tried all the possible ways, on the planets, but at the end I/you/they have reached the conclusion that and' better Iris, for the Planets.
And for the Moon and' excellent the Multi POINT, if you highly have a clear resumption, and very opposed, without starts from a part to the other, otherwise also on
Old 07-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Lester

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I have been using the largest alignment boxes and the second to largest and staggering them all over the planet until it is covered. This image had only 4 largest boxes, but I did one with 11 of the smaller boxes and that wasn't any better.

Dave, thanks for your input and I will be trying all that, sounds promising.

That Mr. Bird is worth his weight in gold.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:02 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Have you tried letting Registax pick the alignment points?

I usually try that first, before going manual. With planets it seems that the auto pick likes to work around the limb. It isn't necessary to cover the whole planet image - just the key features.

I also usually use an alignment box size of 128, unless the auto pick ends up with a huge number of points - then I'll clear the alignment points and try a 256 box size, which usually brings it down to 2-4 boxes.

Interesting info on the FFT! I'll try that next time I have a problem with edges appearing in an image (I don't get it very often but I do occasionally, and has reverted to SAP in those cases).

Al.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:13 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

For a start, try a 128px box on either side of the planet (on the limb), including a little black-space in the alignment box.

How does that work?

That should basically split the planet in half.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:07 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

an update guys.

i did a 64 x 64 on IO, then 3 x 128 across the middle of jupiter, a 256 around planet.........altered the FFT to 9 and no seams.

I then chose to shorten the stacking qty for 1 of the MAPs and no isssues with seams at ALL

Mr Bird, "you are legend"...................watch out for zombies at night!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Lester

I am just restacking now with feather of 9 as the FFT at 9 didn't get rid of the lines.

Is there a problem, because I am using the avi in Registax and not converting them to BMPs first, (which I have never got the hang of)?

The image is very steady on the screen, eg. not jumping around due to bad tracking.

I'll keep tweeking.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:25 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Is it possible to zip up the avi at all? How big is it when zipped?

Something you could upload, or burn onto a CD?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Lester

The avi is 3.9 gig = unzipped

I have never zipped anything before, but could try.

I could burn it onto a CD okay.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:00 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Hey Lester, can you do a screen shot of your stacking points...along with the FFT.

I am having trouble bringing up seams at all
Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 AM
bird (Anthony Wesley)
Cyberdemon

Registax is very sensitive to these settings, and they interact in ways that might not seem obvious...

I mostly use 128 pixel alignment boxes if the seeing is good - the important thing is that each box must be placed around a feature that's (1) easy to see , and (2) fits inside the box. This will depend on your image scale of course, but the grs is an example of a feature that's very useful for alignment, and also the very dark storms in the northern belts are good.

You have to avoid areas where there is little or no detail, or where the detail is only in one dimension (eg a horizontal divide between 2 belts).

It takes a bit of practice to find the best places, and again it all depends on your image data.

I try and set 4 or 5 alignment boxes that are completely inside jupiters disk. You can choose to have your alignment box include black space around jupiter if you like but if the seeing is not so good then the alignment may be thrown off by the movement of the planets edge.

Then, as DP mentions above, when you've set all your alignment points go into "general options" -> "fft size" and change the size from the automatically chosen value to something like 9 or 10. If this doesn't seem to work for you (cause your data is probably different to mine!) try other values, both larger and smaller, until you find the right one that produces the least seams.

Smaller values for this size will make the alignment run less prone to noise, but if you make it too small then it will lose the features as well. Smaller values = more blurring.

cheers, Bird

Last edited by bird; 07-05-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Lester

Hi Dave, I am just trying another now with different sized boxes; I didn't know I could use different sized boxes at the same time.

After this run, if there is no improvement, I will do a screen shot. The avi takes about 2-3 hours to run through.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Lester

Thanks Anthony for your reply, very helpful as always.

I always put the centre of the box, (shown with the zoom option) on a feature with contrast to the surrounds. The boxes seem to lock onto the features okay, so I think I just have to play around with the FFT setting now.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Lester

Here is the Registax screen shot Dave.

Starting another align, didn't realise I had to alter the FFt value for each box. This one has all the values at 9.

I used 4x 128 boxes across the centre and than 2 of the largest boxes over the top of them to cover most of the image.

Sorry I couldn't get all the boxes to show when I wanted to do the screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (registaxscreenshot.jpg)
106.2 KB21 views