Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 29-01-2017, 11:42 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Putting the Band Back Together

Well, its been a while now since I took a sabatical from imaging to persue another hobby of mine before my back is too bad to do it and I'm glad that I did. I guess its been nearly 3 years and likely to be all of that by the time the Obs is back together again.

I have struck a deal with my brother to put the obs at his place and to make it large enough to house both of our scopes/setups. Started by making the pier bases to go under the ground, one down, one to go. Its a bit hot here so it will be slow going for all the welding, grinding and cutting.

Pics on this link, use the next button to see all that are there for the moment.

http://www.pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/164898313

Old 29-01-2017, 08:10 PM
JA

Putting the band back together.......

You'll never get Matt and Mr. Fabulous out of them high payin' gigs.

Best
JA
Old 30-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Yeah, I know!
Old 12-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

I have put up some more shots of the last weeks progress including sinking the base frames and boxing, ready to pour next Saturday. There are a couple more of the initial stages of the base frame builds as well. I hope I managed to get the orientation right on the piers, I hate bl**dy compasses the moment they get near a bit of metal. Oh well, we have 25 degrees rotation between the mounting collars and the azimuth adjusters so we should be right!

Click on the link and use the next button to have a look.

http://www.pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/164962864
Old 18-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Happy day today!

We poured the pier bases! Was a bit wet and drizzly this morning but has warmed up a bit this arvo. Managed to clear some of the grape vines and pull down some of the fence as well. Will go back during the week and sort out the uprights and the cross beams so we can put up the poles on Sunday!

http://www.pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/164987573

Use the next button to advance.

Cheers.
Old 26-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Howdy,

Two solid days of organising and work have resulted in another leap forward in my (and my brother’s) observatory rebuild.

http://www.pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/165026989

Click on the link and as always, use the next button to scroll through!

With extra special thanks to my mate Jim, without his help most of the poles would not be straight or the right height!

Thanks for looking.
Old 26-02-2017, 11:30 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Have you thought of a name for the new obs yet? Given the title of this threat may I suggest "Bart's Country Bunker"?

Malcolm
Old 28-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Not sure on the name, will have to work it out with my brother.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Well, despite a very hot weekend here, progress has been made. Trying to extend the roller tracks was very hard work to keep straight and I got mucked around with the steel I needed. Supposedly the rest is coming tomorrow. I'll have to wait and see, and whether I'm happy or not, I need to order the roof and wall sheets from them!

On the bright side, progress is progress and we got nearly all we wanted to achieved by this afternoon. Next weekend is full on, with the floor going in and the trenches for power and ethernet from the garage and piping under the floor for power and USB.

We have a name, too. Lockleys B. The original one was Lockleys Observatory and this is the B version. Bigger with more scopes and in a bit of a better location.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

http://www.pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/165067880
Old 16-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Some more shots of our observatory rebuild, Lockleys B, including the floor build and the conduit to the 95% completed unit. Still need to tidy up the roof and ridge capping, roof and wall corner flashing and some other bits and pieces. Then it will be power, internet, piers etc.

http://www.pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/165132861

Any questions, please ask.
Old 25-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Not too much to report this week, having a bit or a rest and doing a few jobs at home for the obs, including painting the piers. Today we installed the piers and they were even nearly level!! Top stuff!

The rest of the roof tracks were welded on and some screws in the floor plus the posts to mount the power points on by the pier. The only other order of business was to tidy up and cart some stuff away.

Pics here

http://www.pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/165179133

and as usual, use the next button to advance.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.
Old 28-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Went through all the pics. Well done! Very elaborate piers! So nice to see brothers doing something nice like this together. I'd hope the same for my boys one day
Old 28-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Thanks Logan.

I am happy to be working with my brother, it has been great. It's like we are kids again, playing in the dirt!

LOL! The piers turned out a bit bigger and heavier than we wanted however; we wanted to future proof them just in case.

They use 12 mm bottom plate and support fins, 203 mm ID pipe with 9 mm walls. The two top plates are 16 mm and the leveling pins are 25 mm shaft size. All made by my son who is a qualified fitter and machinist and very good at his work. He is the young lad in some of the pics.

We are looking to electrify the roof next due to its size although it is usable by hand for one person.

Old 30-04-2017, 08:52 AM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Wanted to give a minor update on the obs rebuild.

Progress has been slow over the last few weekends with some fiddly stuff like trying to cut the floor sections to fill in around the piers and get the wiring done, both electrical and ethernet. We also found a water leak at the front of the obs that needed fixing. The piers are now finished and ready to have the hardware installed. One suggestion was to fit some strength strapping to the walls and roof and that also has been completed. Monday night is slated for mount and scope installation so I hope to be drift aligning very soon.

As always, images can be found on this link, please use the previous and next buttons to view.

http://www.pbase.com/grahammeyer/image/165368485