Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2020, 09:49 PM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Another Galaxy for the mix

NGC1398 Barred Spiral taken at light polluted Boronia, a Suburb of Melbourne. The shot was taken with a C11 EdgeHD SCT, 5 Hours with a ASI071-Pro OSC, processed with Pixinsight.
At the end of the year I will try and get some more data to clean up the noise (assuming I survive Covid-19, I'm nearly 70, if I get it, it could be all over red rover). It takes a lot of work, but it does shows that you can still get some good shots from the light polluted Burbs, for those of us that don't live on top of a Mountain with pitch black skies.

Cheers
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 1398 Galaxy (Barred Spiral) 18112019 19112019.jpg)
190.5 KB69 views
Old 05-04-2020, 10:23 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

That's a beauty Peter. More impressive that it was shot from Boronia. Just goes to show that a large aperture and good processing skills can compete with lesser equipment from dark skies, no need for you to go up that mountain. This galaxy is ridiculously symmetrical, almost looks like an artist's impression of a galaxy. Great capture.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Nicely done Peter - great image of a cracker target!
Re: Suburban LRGB galaxy imaging - are you taking longer subs or lots of short ones to overcome skyglow?
Cheers
Andy
Old 06-04-2020, 09:08 AM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
That's a beauty Peter. More impressive that it was shot from Boronia. Just goes to show that a large aperture and good processing skills can compete with lesser equipment from dark skies, no need for you to go up that mountain. This galaxy is ridiculously symmetrical, almost looks like an artist's impression of a galaxy. Great capture.
Hi Michael,
Thanks for your comments. Generally I only photograph Galaxies, it never ceases to amaze me the different shapes and sizes they come in. Much of the processing skills are thanks to Pixinsight, it has a steep learning curve, but is amazing what you can drag out of the muck with it.

Peter
Old 06-04-2020, 10:07 AM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Nicely done Peter - great image of a cracker target!
Re: Suburban LRGB galaxy imaging - are you taking longer subs or lots of short ones to overcome skyglow?
Cheers
Andy
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your comments. All my imaging is done using a ZWO ASI071-Pro OSC, although I do now have a ZWO1600MM-Cool Mono, with LRGB Filters, I picked up a few month ago from Iceinspace Trades. I haven't tried it yet. I'm balking a little on yet another learning curve, and the shear amount of space needed to store the original data, even my OSC it's around 3 to 4GB of data for one night, LRGB would be 4 times that plus. From Boronia which is not that far from your location, I found that taking lots of 5 to 6 minute Subs to be about the optimum. For galaxies, which is what I mostly do, I need to take at least 4 to 6 hours to drag them out of the light pollution. Secondly, I usually start when they are rising and hit around 35 degrees and give up when they pass over the Zenith and start to sinking into the west, where the light pollution is the worst for me.

Peter
Old 06-04-2020, 10:16 AM
h0ughy (David)

Nice image from the burbs
Old 06-04-2020, 10:32 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Really interesting looking galaxy and nicely captured.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:13 AM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Nice image from the burbs
Hi David,
Thanks for your comments. One can't compete with 6 Hours taken from a dark site, but it is still possible to get pleasing images from the burbs. It is also pleasing to see my processing skills improve as time goes on, which goes to show, that this old dog is still capable of learning a a trick or two.

Peter
Old 06-04-2020, 11:18 AM
PeterSEllis (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
Really interesting looking galaxy and nicely captured.
Hi Geoff,
Thanks for your comments. Much of the ability to drag this image out of the muck is thanks to the power of Pixinsight, especially deconvolution.

Peter