Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2020, 07:26 PM
Imme (Jon)

Gabriella Mistral

Been off here for a while so haven't seen or commented much.....kinda missing you guys a little!

Finally though I have got around to getting another image under the belt......Gab Mis this time - one I've been wanting to get for a while. This is a Hubble version although color is a bit out there!

I'm still testing the waters when it comes to narrowband and processing is a bit of a nightmare for me....especially trying to get rid of the green in this one! (Ha smashed coloring out of the park!).
I'm not sure if Startools is the best option for me moving forward, I may have to take the step to PI for this NB stuff.

Mono in general is still a very steep learning curve however I am getting a bit more comfortable with it.

The attached is approx. 25 hours of data across a few weeks worth of clear skies....some good seeing, some not so good. I'd hoped for a better pic than this but having said that I'm still happy with what I've produced. Actually very happy to see some dusty areas coming out in places I didn't know it was!

Thanks to Strongman Mike for framing ideas....this is from an old pic of yours!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Processed Gab Mis.jpg)
197.4 KB153 views
Old 05-05-2020, 11:36 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Nice one Jon, you don't pop many out but when you do, they sure pack a punch. The detail in those dusty areas look 3D. I'd love to see a high res of this one to show off it's full potential.
25hrs is a good bit of data to play with, I like the colours you've chosen. Great job! What scope did you use?
Old 06-05-2020, 09:42 AM
Imme (Jon)

Cheers for the feedback Mike.....this was the FLT-132....lovely scope.
I picked up a reducer on here a while ago so the field on this is around .8 of the normal focal length (725mm'ish).....shout out to Joshua who made me a reducer, excellent work.
Camera was the asi-1600 (also picked up from here!)

The mount has been running pretty well since the rebuild, pretty happy I took the time to pull it down.

Here's a link to the astrobin post if you'd like that larger version -

https://www.astrobin.com/7nyuwu/0/
Old 06-05-2020, 09:56 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

The 25 hours has allowed you to pick up some incredibly faint material.

The Gem Cluster and its surrounding nebulosity has come out particularly well.

Just put it up on the 1.8 metre OLED screen in the dark.

Last edited by Placidus; 07-05-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:23 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Love it. Very deep with tiny stars. Great NB widefield.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:56 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

This is really something! Agree that it has a great 3D look, depth is great, kind of reminds me of an ocean floor map with a few wells thrown in... really great!
Old 06-05-2020, 06:13 PM
topheart

Great detail!
Cheers,
Tim
Old 07-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Imme (Jon)

Thanks guys, appreciate the great feedback.

It seems I have a real issue with my expectations......I'm often talking down pics that i take because of the amount of flaws i see in them. Guess I need to accept I'm not running the Hubble from my shed!

Appreciate all the positive feedback.....that's what i like about this place - it's not all doom and gloom!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:54 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
.....that's what i like about this place - it's not all doom and gloom!
Damn right! It's all about green, mustard and magenta stars doom and gloom. Resistance is futile.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:58 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Imme,
Another fine capture! I think this turned out splendidly well and you should just hold your chin up high and be proud of a great Astro shot!
This image deserves more kudos - keep up your good work and hope your doing well mate!

Cheers
Anth
Old 12-05-2020, 11:37 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Bit late to the party, but sheesh... that's a great image! I wouldn't change a thing if it were mine...

If you haven't done so though, definitely check out StarTools 1.6, as it comes loaded with new dedicated narrowband functionality, enhancements and presets, building on the Compose module/mode introduced in 1.5. If you're not familiar with that - it processes chrominance (colour) and luminance (detail) separately, yet simultaneously (not in sequence as necessary in PS/PI!), to the benefit of signal fidelity and workflow. In terms of workflow, processing complex narrowband composites is now almost as easy as processing data from a DSLR or OSC.

In 1.6, once you hit the Color module, you can now choose from a huge list of popular narrowband blends and renditions with a single click ("Matrix" parameter). The golden yellows, oranges, etc. should all be there. E.g. no need to manually re-composite or re-weight channels if you changed your mind on the blend - it's all done for you by the engine on the fly. No "illegal" independent non-linear channel stretching (causing local misrepresentation of emission prevalence) is used either. And if you really, really hate green in your narrowband images, there is a dedicated green suppression slider now.

And, lastly, if you haven't done so also check out the Entropy module, which was designed for intuitive narrow band detail manipulation (also works well for Ha in the visual spectrum).

New in-app help should have you covered, but any trouble, questions (about NB processing or otherwise), do feel free to send me a PM or email. Clear skies!
Old 13-05-2020, 08:09 AM
gregbradley

A very detailed image and clever framing.

Greg.
Old 21-05-2020, 06:44 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

This is another image where the thumbnail keeps catching my eye.

One of the highlights of the year.
Old 21-05-2020, 08:40 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
Imme,
Another fine capture! I think this turned out splendidly well and you should just hold your chin up high and be proud of a great Astro shot!
This image deserves more kudos - keep up your good work and hope your doing well mate!

Cheers
Anth
Thanks anth....all’s good up my way. You and mick should drop up again some time.....maybe without the snow (well, nearly snowed!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwjager View Post
Bit late to the party, but sheesh... that's a great image! I wouldn't change a thing if it were mine...

If you haven't done so though, definitely check out StarTools 1.6, as it comes loaded with new dedicated narrowband functionality, enhancements and presets, building on the Compose module/mode introduced in 1.5. If you're not familiar with that - it processes chrominance (colour) and luminance (detail) separately, yet simultaneously (not in sequence as necessary in PS/PI!), to the benefit of signal fidelity and workflow. In terms of workflow, processing complex narrowband composites is now almost as easy as processing data from a DSLR or OSC.

In 1.6, once you hit the Color module, you can now choose from a huge list of popular narrowband blends and renditions with a single click ("Matrix" parameter). The golden yellows, oranges, etc. should all be there. E.g. no need to manually re-composite or re-weight channels if you changed your mind on the blend - it's all done for you by the engine on the fly. No "illegal" independent non-linear channel stretching (causing local misrepresentation of emission prevalence) is used either. And if you really, really hate green in your narrowband images, there is a dedicated green suppression slider now.

And, lastly, if you haven't done so also check out the Entropy module, which was designed for intuitive narrow band detail manipulation (also works well for Ha in the visual spectrum).

New in-app help should have you covered, but any trouble, questions (about NB processing or otherwise), do feel free to send me a PM or email. Clear skies!
Thanks Ivo.....I actually downloaded 1.6 the other day and am working on a new version of this....which I actually think is significantly better that this process. Cheers for a great program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A very detailed image and clever framing.

Greg.
Thanks Greg....you can thank strongmanmike for the framing idea....stole it from him!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
This is another image where the thumbnail keeps catching my eye.

One of the highlights of the year.
Absolutely humbled by this comment......encouragement like this builds such confidence.

On a broader note and probably advice to those people like me who nit pick their own work.
WE need to stop being so self critical.....I honestly was not (and to a point am still not) happy with this shot but you guys as a community have really made me have a look at myself and question what the issue was/is.
We can always do better, there’s no doubt about that, but I think we need to (well I need to) be more open to failure, or should I say more open to critique.

Thanks everyone.....I honestly appreciate the feedback and positive comments.
Old 22-05-2020, 06:57 AM
Camissa (Ecki)

Very nice framing and detail!

CS,
Ecki