Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

SHO Lagoon V1

Hi all,

Sharing my first attempt ever for this target at combining three channels together. May need to tweak the colours and will try adding RGB stars at some point.

About 30 hours of data through my 105mm guidescope: https://www.astrobin.com/full/411375/B/

Thank you for looking
Suavi
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M8_SHO_V1_small.jpg)
158.4 KB120 views

Last edited by Slawomir; 29-06-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 23-06-2019, 10:11 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Hi all,

Sharing my first attempt ever for this target at combining three channels together. May need to tweak the colours and will try adding RGB stars at some point.

About 30 hours of data through my 105mm guidescope: https://www.astrobin.com/full/411375/0/

Thank you for looking
Suavi
Lovely, I much prefer this version. Wonderful detail. Hey you aren't allowed to call the beautiful CFF 105 work of art a guidescope!!

They are the new AP scopes.

Again, detail I would expect only from a 12 inch aperture scope. Amazing.
Your small pixelled Sony sensor is matching the optics and your seeing really well.

Greg.
Old 23-06-2019, 06:47 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you Greg for your very kind feedback. I really look forward to seeing your images taken with your new shiny 105mm guidescope and the 16200
Old 25-06-2019, 04:56 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Looks great Suavi. Nice M8.
Old 25-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Paul Haese

Lovely detail Suavi. The colour is a good palette too. My preference if for it to be a little ruddy brown but this one is the traditional HST palette and it is a good combination.
Old 26-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Magnificent!

Looks very three-dimensional and compelling. All our favourite features there in sharp detail.

Something we've not noticed before: if you rotate your image a bit under 90 degrees clockwise, the wider area around the hourglass (which you've quite sensibly chosen to burn out so as to avoid that overly diagrammatic HDR look) becomes the white (bald) head and shoulders of Lucifer, as seen from above and behind. Still further afield are his very impressive wings.

Best,
MnT
Old 26-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Looks great Suavi. Nice M8.
Thank you Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Lovely detail Suavi. The colour is a good palette too. My preference if for it to be a little ruddy brown but this one is the traditional HST palette and it is a good combination.
Glad you like it Paul. I was trying to get an overall look of a blue cosmic lagoon with brownish rocks around and the green algae region was just a bonus. Got RGB star data last night so will try incorporating it into the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Magnificent!

Looks very three-dimensional and compelling. All our favourite features there in sharp detail.

Something we've not noticed before: if you rotate your image a bit under 90 degrees clockwise, the wider area around the hourglass (which you've quite sensibly chosen to burn out so as to avoid that overly diagrammatic HDR look) becomes the white (bald) head and shoulders of Lucifer, as seen from above and behind. Still further afield are his very impressive wings.

Best,
MnT
Thank you Mike and Trish. Yes, I didn’t worry about the hourglass and was hoping to highlight dynamic nature of this beautiful cloud of cosmic gas - I can see this figure too! Perhaps he is the Lagoon keeper?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ABB81A96-BC4E-4C57-98C6-5A57DECDDFB6.jpeg)
86.3 KB35 views
Old 26-06-2019, 03:48 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

And here is one for George - it does look a bit like a face!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FBB51724-1032-4250-89F9-6D43533C7334.jpg)
170.4 KB42 views
Old 26-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

You’ve got a great guide scope there Suavi, resolution and depth is pretty nice indeed
Old 27-06-2019, 09:00 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thanks Colin

I wish I collected NII instead of OIII as it seems to have more interesting features, and now I’m kind of ready to move on to another target.
Old 28-06-2019, 10:47 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Thanks Colin

I wish I collected NII instead of OIII as it seems to have more interesting features, and now I’m kind of ready to move on to another target.
Geez NII is difficult to blend into a SHO image. Fantastic data btw

Okay, first off! if you're going to replace NII with something I would definitely suggest SII in the case of M8.

The first image is a comparison between a SHO and NHO.
The second and third images are comparisons of SHO and NHO.
The third is a SNN. This is probably the most compelling of evidence. All of that grey area is where both the SII and NII signal is near identical. The red where the SII is stronger and teal where the NII is stronger. And there is a lot of grey!

What I found when trying to combine the NII (before doing these comparisons) was that the moment I tried to add in the NII it just sucked the colour out of the image and gave everything a strong purple cast as I assigned NII to purple.

Here is a link to a NSHON image where you can see where the NII and SII differ at higher resolution. There is some benefit from a interesting science stand point but in this case the NII and SII are so similar that it becomes a bit over powering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (comp.jpg)
185.7 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (Crop1.jpg)
111.2 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (crop2.jpg)
108.2 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (SNN.jpg)
180.3 KB33 views
Old 29-06-2019, 06:15 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you Colin for experimenting with the data and for sharing your results.

I believe significantly lower SNR in the NII (about 15 times less exposure than other channels) might have affected its contribution in terms of colour and detail.

Cool experiment though
Old 29-06-2019, 06:22 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

A fine example of a narrowband Lagoon Suavi, fine detail, three channels/colours clearly shown, totally looks like nebulous gas, subtle clean and nuanced processing, even the magenta stars fit in and make sense...excellent

Mike
Old 29-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Ok , I'm just going to say it - it's a good image as mentioned above, but in my opinion it needs a proper Suavi-fying!
In previous posts eg: your cat's paw you have produce bold, intense, benchmark NB images of DSO's - which were electrifying
This one seems a tad vanilla to me, no offence intended.
Old 29-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Thank you Andy for your feedback. Although reluctantly, I eventually took onboard what you said about sharpness in the past and experimented with deconvolution and it has improved my images, I think. Perhaps you are right again, I’m too careful and not daring enough with data processing and experimenting with vibrant colours

I need to meditate on that. Thanks Andy

P.S. I slightly increased saturation in version B.
Old 29-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

If you're going to go down the decovolution path might I suggest that you drizzle integrate the data you've got. I did do a quick deconvolution hit to your Ha and it does improve it but you'll be able to do a better job with a larger PSF.
Old 29-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
If you're going to go down the decovolution path might I suggest that you drizzle integrate the data you've got. I did do a quick deconvolution hit to your Ha and it does improve it but you'll be able to do a better job with a larger PSF.
Good idea Colin - worth trying for sure. I’m imaging at 1.18” pp with a 4” so there is only so much that can be squeezed out of the data, but drizzle followed by decon, if done well, could give that extra few percent
Old 29-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Good idea Colin - worth trying for sure. I’m imaging at 1.18” pp with a 4” so there is only so much that can be squeezed out of the data, but drizzle followed by decon, if done well, could give that extra few percent
I've been drizzling 5" data a 1.16"/pixel for a couple of years and been very happy with the results
Old 06-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Ok , I'm just going to say it - it's a good image as mentioned above, but in my opinion it needs a proper Suavi-fying!
In previous posts eg: your cat's paw you have produce bold, intense, benchmark NB images of DSO's - which were electrifying
This one seems a tad vanilla to me, no offence intended.
I went over the data for the Lagoon (it's been raining for a few days) and have pushed processing on Luminance a tad further. I hope in version 3 interesting structures are more prominent without giving an impression of being overcooked.

V3: https://www.astrobin.com/full/411375/C/?nc=user

Vanilla (first) version: https://www.astrobin.com/full/411375/0/

Any comments and/or criticism will be appreciated.

Suavi
Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Really well captured

The result you've achieved is remarkable...are you sure it's a 105mm and you haven't missed a couple of digits?