Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 21-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Wavytone

11.. cause it's more than 10... iOS that is.

Have updated. Loving it so far, no complaints.

SkySafari is fine and the red-screen mode is still there.

It's noticeably slicker and smoother than iOS10.
Old 22-09-2017, 07:41 AM
acropolite (Phil)

I've been reluctant to upgrade any IOS.
I have 4 ipads, my ipad 1 was made progressively disfunctional with IOS updates, same with HRH's ipad2 after updates, my ipad air's performance deteriorated and the device became crash prone after a couple of updates.
The only one of the 4 that is operating in a satisfactory manner is HRH's ipad air 2 which is yet to have an update.
Old 22-09-2017, 08:03 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Some GUI changes i don't like (personal taste) and seeing if I can revert to 10 style. Otherwise, a good improvement
Old 22-09-2017, 01:26 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I won't be able to do it for a while yet as mine is a work phone and they have to test all the work apps before we change over. Unfortunately I am going to loose the only time wasters I have on it when they tell us to update as they are old (Dead) games and wont work with IOS11.

An interesting thing popped up recently, more then a few people are suspicious that Apple nobble older devices with new versions of IOS and when new devices are released. They had some interesting tracking of search terms from Google showing huge spikes in terms like "Iphone slow" or "Ipad slow" in the months after a new version was released.

Planned (Or forced) obsolescence, who would have thunk it?
Old 22-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

One of the major changes I do not like, is the removal of Apps and Books from the iTunes Library. This means that I can no longer access, browse and manage my Apps and Books (as well as Podcasts) from a single, centralised location on our desktop PC.

The good old days:
  • All Apps, Books and Podcasts were downloaded once into my iTunes Library on my desktop PC.
  • I then simply docked each iPad/iPod (we have x4 iPads and x2 iPods) with the USB Docking Cradle and updated new stuff and what had changed. Simple, quick and effective with minimal user oversight and hands on.

The brave new IOS11 world:
  • Connect each device individually via Wi-Fi (x4 iPads and x2 iPods).
  • On each device (x6 in total) download the same new purchase, updates, etc... 6 times.
  • Requires much more oversight and lengthy hands on.

On one iPad, I had x9 App updates that took some 30 minutes to process via the new beaut Wi-Fi “improved” App Store mode of operation. Rather than sit through this tedious process another 5 times for the other Apple devices, I resorted to deleting non-essential stuff, leaving only the “most used” and “most useful” stuff, to reduce the future update/management burden.

My preliminary work arounds:
  • I downloaded the Kindle App and will now only purchase Kindle e-books as I can browse the Kindle e-book Library on my desktop PC rather than having to browse the iBooks Library on an iPad. The Kindle experience on a large PC screen, with its superior bookstore navigation, is quite a refreshing change. Sorry Apple, I really did like the iBooks environment. Will keep iBooks for browsing PDFs.
  • Before purchasing an App from the Apple App store, establish that it is really important and will be used frequently – no more impulse purchases. Sorry App Developers, no more frivolous purchases from our household; each future App purchase will have to be scrutinised and justified.

Whilst I was far from being an Apple Fan Boy, I did enjoy the ease of use, simplicity and integration of the overall Apple ecosystem, until IOS11 that is.

I should add that we don’t have mobile ‘phones (Apple or otherwise) so perhaps we are a minority?

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT: - Whoops – Podcasts are still in iTunes – my mistake.

Last edited by Dennis; 23-09-2017 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Correction re Podcasts.
Old 23-09-2017, 04:41 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

I updated my gf's iPad today.

Well, iOS 11 is a real improvement, unlike 10 or 9 over their previous versions.

* The keyboard finally supports typing digits and the most used special characters by just swiping downward , e.g. a Q results in a 1. A feature Android has for years.

* The control center is much improved by swiping upward and the dock is a bonus as well.

* The files app is still too limited, but Readdie's Documents (free) which is MUCH better and already works since iOS 8 is integrated with it.

So stupid that the iPhones do not support these features, even the larger ones such as the Plus versions of the 6/7/8 and the X.

I have Android which is mature as well. iOS is too limited for me and still leaves the user too few control over the device. It is even impossibe to import / export files from an USB drive, missing a Time Machine like local backup feature, locking individual apps (which is possible in Android).

I am a Mac user, but macOS is MUCH better than iOS. No, I am not comparing apples with oranges, but apples with apples, both a Macbook and an iPad are mobile devices (we take both with us on our trips) and both are powerful computers, so Apple is not using all power of the top quality hardware of iOS devices.

Even my Android phone (Huawei Mate 9) has more features than the iPad.

iOS is very good for media consuming which does it very well, but more advanced apps like image stacking, RAW photo processing, you can forget about it.

Shame that such top hardware and design has such restrictive software.