Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 20-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Glen,
I'm surprised....
If the SCP is visible then the rotation about the RA axis shouldn't give any large movement.......
Old 20-09-2017, 04:27 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Glen,
I'm surprised....
If the SCP is visible then the rotation about the RA axis shouldn't give any large movement.......
Depends on the RA point of rotation, and height of the wall, and how far your dovetail clamp is above the centre of the RA. My CGX mount head is located below the south wall but as it is angled upward at 33.7 degrees it clears the wall nicely, straight up in the park position. However, RA centre line is below the top of the wall, thus 90 degree rotation moves the scope to where it will be blocked or partially blocked.

Last edited by glend; 20-09-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 20-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

I absolutely love it, very easy to use and also accurate. I was going to get a polemaster, but there is no need at all now. I used to use PHD2 for polar alignment and it could be very fiddly, even with a bit of practice. But now I'm accurately aligned within 5 minutes of turning on my gear.
Old 21-09-2017, 11:05 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Clouds, clouds go away
I need to try this any way..
Old 10-11-2017, 02:00 PM
rwharri12

I'm new to AP and the southern hemisphere. Being unable to find the SCP by eye I'm using SharpCap with an Orion 50 mm Guide scope and their SSAG. I've focused the SSAG during the daytime and fine tuned the focus after dark so I know I'm in focus. I'm here just north of Adelaide and the magnetic offset is about 8 degrees so that's how I've pointed my mount and set the lat at 32. Problem is, SharpCap won't plate solve, it see lots of stars but it won't solve. Gain is set at 90. I've tried versions 3.0 and the beta 3.1, still no go, anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-11-2017, 02:15 PM
rwharri12

I can't get it to plate solve. I'm using an Orion 50mm Guide scope and the SSAG. I know I'm within 5 degrees or so of the pole, it sees lots of stars but nothing. Gain set at 90, with 8 sec exposures. I've tried changing the lat a bit and moving the mount left and right a bit, but still no plate solve. I've tries ver 3.0 and beta ver 3.1 any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Yes, I'm solving for the southern hemisphere :-)
Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwharri12 View Post
I can't get it to plate solve. I'm using an Orion 50mm Guide scope and the SSAG. I know I'm within 5 degrees or so of the pole, it sees lots of stars but nothing. Gain set at 90, with 8 sec exposures. I've tried changing the lat a bit and moving the mount left and right a bit, but still no plate solve. I've tries ver 3.0 and beta ver 3.1 any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Yes, I'm solving for the southern hemisphere :-)
I usually have to increase the max star size to max and min star size to 1 for it to be able to solve. I also find that declination has to be right on the index marker for it to work properly.
Hope that helps!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:46 PM
toc (Tim)

Just to add to this thread - it is possible to use SharpCap with the polemaster Camera. Just select it in the camera list in SharpCap Works a treat, and is much much easier than the clunky polemaster software.