Old 13-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Nikon focusing screen question

Hi all

Could anyone please tell me if focusing screens from 1960's Nikon F cameras are compatible with later models... and retrospectively, are screens from F2's, F3's, etc backwards-compatible with the F?

The reason I ask is that I can find Type C screens (matte, clear center with cross-hair - more or less suited to astrophotography) available from plenty of places for the F2, F3, etc, but am finding it hard to find one for the "F" as such.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Old 14-01-2007, 07:49 AM
astroboy

Hi Chris
I will have to look at the F2 screens I have hear but from memory you can put them into the F but you would need the metal frame that the F focus sceens have .
Its been a while since i messed with this stuff so I could be wrong .
The screens to go for from memory is the Red Dot Nikon screen or a Beatie screen much brighter than the normal ones.
You could try one of my F2 screens next time I see you.
Hope the new year is treating you and Jenny well.

Zane
Old 14-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Hi there Zane!

Happy New Year! Jenny and I are both very well, thank you. How's Fiona? Well I trust? How's the new instrument going? You're not selling the NGT yet are you?

I've just had confirmation from the CloudyNights forum that the F and the F2 screens are interchangeable, so that's good. I'm particularly interested in the "Type C" screen which is a fine matte with clear centre and cross-hair. The ones you mention sound interesting though. If I could take you up on your offer to try them out I'd be very appreciative. Thanks!

We will see you on both of the next two MAS forays to Magellan, so see you in April

Cheers
Chris
Old 11-01-2017, 06:28 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
Hi all

Could anyone please tell me if focusing screens from 1960's Nikon F cameras are compatible with later models... and retrospectively, are screens from F2's, F3's, etc backwards-compatible with the F?

The reason I ask is that I can find Type C screens (matte, clear center with cross-hair - more or less suited to astrophotography) available from plenty of places for the F2, F3, etc, but am finding it hard to find one for the "F" as such.

Thanks in advance
Chris
Hi Chris

If you are looking for old parts etc, try The Camera Exchange- Speak to John (03) 98984999

http://www.cameraexchange.com.au/

Best
JA
Old 11-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Hi Chris. I used to do all my astrophotography with a Nikon F2 body, type C (astronomy) focusing screen and a waist level viewfinder which had a flip-up 6x magnifying lens. A perfect setup for film photography.
There was an aftermarket focusing screen available called a Beattie Intenscreen, which had a nice bright image, but was impossible to tell if you were in focus-don't bother with it if you are offered one.