Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 25-06-2019, 11:31 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

New Raspberry PI available - 4

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-4-model-b/

Might be worth investigating - USB3. Ethernet doesn't share the same resources as USB.
Old 25-06-2019, 12:18 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Had the Pi4 pointed out to me this morning. USB3 on a non shared resource suddenly looks like a bit of a good thing to have a cheap (ish, I would probably go for the 4Gig memory version) low power device to run the mount and camera with a better specification of box somewhere dry to do the real grunt work.

I reckon the test will be plate solving.
Old 25-06-2019, 02:07 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

if it was anything like the release of 3b+, id wait until purchase since a lot of the software needed a few months to catch up and update.
Old 25-06-2019, 04:23 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

The other reason to wait is for the prices to settle more too.

I think it should handle the plate solving ok, assuming the 4Gb version.
Old 26-06-2019, 06:40 AM
peeb61 (Paul)
Always looking up

This all sounds interesting, what astronomy software can we run on one of these? The_Bluester (Paul) mentioned the mount and camera? Thinking this may be a replacement for whole PC? were I can mount it on the scope to save all of the dangly cables....Or not?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26-06-2019, 09:14 AM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeb61 View Post
This all sounds interesting, what astronomy software can we run on one of these? The_Bluester (Paul) mentioned the mount and camera? Thinking this may be a replacement for whole PC? were I can mount it on the scope to save all of the dangly cables....Or not?

Thanks in advance.
This would be best used with the Stellarmate software, which has a planetarium/astrophotography package called KStars/Ekos. I'm using it on a RPI 3+ and it works pretty well.

Rene
Old 26-06-2019, 11:07 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

From what I read the Pi4 should run all the same software as the 3 rather than having to wait for developers to catch up as has been the case in the past.
Old 29-06-2019, 05:09 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
if it was anything like the release of 3b+, id wait until purchase since a lot of the software needed a few months to catch up and update.
Yes. That's right. For example, loading Linux Mate was problematic - it would load on the 3B+ but the Wi-Fi would not work. That sort of thing. There's now a version 18 of Mate which I have since loaded and which works fine on the 3B+. A trifle slow but ... Teething problems only I guess. Perhaps the 4+ will be a bit more seamless. That extra RAM will certainly make a difference and the quad-core CPU can't hurt either.

I do like my Pis. A big fan. I am currently using a couple of Pi Zero Ws to build small security cameras for use around the house. Uses an OS called MotionEyeOS. Great little unit.

Peter
Old 29-06-2019, 04:37 PM
phomer (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Had the Pi4 pointed out to me this morning. USB3 on a non shared resource suddenly looks like a bit of a good thing to have a cheap (ish, I would probably go for the 4Gig memory version) low power device to run the mount and camera with a better specification of box somewhere dry to do the real grunt work.

I reckon the test will be plate solving.

Paul,

I can see advantages with running INDI on Raspberry Pi 4
  • more memory,2 or 4GB, should allow better viewing of downloads
  • faster USB, even with USB2 devices should allow shorter download times
  • faster CPU could speed up plate solving
I run Raspbian, and it is available now, but the 2 and 4GB versions are all on backorder and I also need to upgrade my power supplies to allow for 3 amp maximum power draw.

Nevertheless, it is always nice to have a faster computer.

Paul
Old 30-06-2019, 08:28 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

I've put myself on the "notify when in stock" list for a 4GB version. I can't help comparing the specs for it - point-by-point - with laptops I have which, as recently as 4 or 5 years ago I thought were the duck's guts. With the capacity of the current crop of SD cards, storage is not really an issue and with good wireless KB and Mouse sets, I can't find anything I would call a serious fault - provided you can work with Linux.

Peter
Old 30-06-2019, 09:14 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
From what I read the Pi4 should run all the same software as the 3 rather than having to wait for developers to catch up as has been the case in the past.
With all new processor and onboard chips, the current software is not officially supported. Raspberry Pi officially supports the Buster version of Raspbian, which is not currently out. I am not sure of the official release date as well.

One of the may drawbacks with the current version is the memory swapping that occurs on Pi 3 is at odds with Pi 4.

In saying that there are still numerous reasons to get one, but it is for someone with good operating system self-support or forum support that may get you through the up and downs. So far after a few review and test, it is a good version for general operations as the Pi 3.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:40 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Hmmm! Here's a different perspective on the new Pi 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0diTHAmVbhc

Peter
Old 01-07-2019, 05:43 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
With all new processor and onboard chips, the current software is not officially supported. Raspberry Pi officially supports the Buster version of Raspbian, which is not currently out. I am not sure of the official release date as well.
The release date for Buster is the 6th July, i.e. in less than a week.
Another thing to note is that Buster has been "frozen" for several months now. No new features were added and the work concentrated only on bug fixes. So really, it should already be almost as stable as it will get by the release date.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
The release date for Buster is the 6th July, i.e. in less than a week.
Another thing to note is that Buster has been "frozen" for several months now. No new features were added and the work concentrated only on bug fixes. So really, it should already be almost as stable as it will get by the release date.
God to know, I wasn't sure of the release date, although there is a concentration on bug fixes, I usually don't get the first version until it matures a bit, but overall it seems that RPi 4 should be a goer. I have an interest myself for obs platform instead of a computer, now that APT support INDI.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:17 PM
va1erian

Mmm... I wonder if ZWO will migrate its ASIair onto the Pi4 platform, because it now has USB3 ?
Old 03-07-2019, 05:39 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am wondering if the extra speed USB and Ethernet interface wise would make something like “virtual here” USB sharing software feasible to use. At the moment none of the capture software I am using or considering would support the likes of Indi to extend connectivity to a different machine, but I would love still to have a comparatively cheap box on the mount more or less acting as remote ports for a machine mounted somewhere dry to connect to.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:28 PM
luka
Unregistered User

If you have not ordered one yet it may be worth waiting. The first design has a faulty USB-C port (missing a resistor) and it does not work with all USB-C cables/chargers.

Having said that it works fine with the original power supply and with most of older chargers.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:27 AM
RussellH

I’ll be keen to see some real eorld power consumption figures. If you’re powering this thing from a battery, it looks like it may eat through it fast. Techradar testing shows it running hot too, so active cooling may be rquired.

I’m actually just setting up and am going with the 3B+ for now. At least these things are cheap enough to try one of each eventually.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:28 AM
phomer (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellH View Post
I’ll be keen to see some real eorld power consumption figures. If you’re powering this thing from a battery, it looks like it may eat through it fast. Techradar testing shows it running hot too, so active cooling may be rquired.

I’m actually just setting up and am going with the 3B+ for now. At least these things are cheap enough to try one of each eventually.

Russell?,

Compared with a PC, the maximum drain is still low, but that will not be achieved running Astro software unless you are using it for image/video processing.

Paul
Old 11-07-2019, 12:08 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellH View Post
I’ll be keen to see some real eorld power consumption figures.
3.4W idling, 7.6W at full load
This was measured with a HDMI display, mouse and keyboard. Source.

For comparison, 3B+ was 2.9W (idle) and 6.4W (full load).