Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 22-07-2019, 10:56 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

It's that time :(

Today, I had to...after delaying it as long as possible...step up (seems down ) from 1x reading glasses to 1.5x.

I am not even 46 yet for pities sake!

Long distance still superb, but now anything inside of shy of arms length is a dismal slight blur.

BAH HUMBUG!
Old 22-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

It's a downhill slop from there
I first used eyeglass from 50 and find that at times I depend on them more.
I find that if I use them for a long period of time the eyes take longer to readjust If I don't use them.
So far have not had to change the script so lucky there.
Old 22-07-2019, 12:03 PM
Startrek (Martin)

If that’s all that’s happened to your eye sight , then your doing really great especially being long sighted !!
I’m nearly 60 and have myopia in both eyes , astigmatism ( 2.0 diopter ) in my right eye, both eyes full of floaters and positive vitreous detachment ( PVD ) symptoms ( flashes in both eyes at night )
Astigmatism is not much fun when your doing visual , I use a Televue Dioptrx on my eye pieces but it’s not totally sharp, nothing beats a good eye ball
Lucky I do both visual and AP , AP is my backstop when I can no longer do visual down the track , hopefully at least into my 70’s
My eye sight and symptoms are typical for sufferers of myopia ( short sightedness )
If I had a choice , and I don’t , I’d rather be long sighted any day
Regular 6 monthly eye tests are routine for me ( picked a great hobby late in life , didn’t even think about the old eyes )
Cheers
Old 22-07-2019, 12:05 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

It's a big club you've just joined!
Old 22-07-2019, 12:11 PM
bojan
amateur

Nothing to worry about... if it is just +1.5 ~ +2 (and nothing else attached to it), any cheap reading glasses ($5 max) are solution to the issue.
I have ~10 of them lying around the house... in the car.. etc. etc.
Old 22-07-2019, 12:13 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

That's me exactly Bojan - 2 pair in the car, 3 at home, one pair always on top of my head.

I can still get away with the 1X, but finding anything detailed definitely now needs 1.5X.

All my glasses are Big-W $10 jobs. I did go to OPSM and get prescription glasses, but they broke within 2 months and were worse than the BigW cheapies!
Old 22-07-2019, 12:20 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
That's me exactly Bojan - 2 pair in the car, 3 at home, one pair always on top of my head.

I can still get away with the 1X, but finding anything detailed definitely now needs 1.5X.

All my glasses are Big-W $10 jobs. I did go to OPSM and get prescription glasses, but they broke within 2 months and were worse than the BigW cheapies!

You go to OPSM to measure your eyes.. then with your numbers you go to first (or second etc.) chinese shop
Old 22-07-2019, 03:28 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

At first at about your age I got reading glasses. They were a menace as I was forever losing, sitting or treading on them. Later my long sight became a bit iffy so I got bifocal glasses with UV protection. Bliss - I would put them on in the morning and take them off at night when I went to bed. Now in my eighties I developed cataracts and last year had the foggy lens removed and replaced with long sight lens. What a difference, I have perfect long distance vision and can now see brilliant colours especially up the blue end of the spectrum. Instead of getting reading glasses for the short sight I got a pair of bifocals again for the above reasons (long distance section practically plain glass) and yes a pair of cheap reading glasses, one at 2.5 opters for focussing on the PC screen from 40mm distance.
Old 22-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

As someone with astigmatism and mild short sightedness (been wearing glasses for years) your eyes are better for astro than mine so I think you got the better deal here
Old 22-07-2019, 03:53 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Multifocals for a few years now always losing readers or finding them on my head and taking them off for distance i just bought a new pair of readers for night reading and forgot how much i hate them. Im 2 /2.5 makes it hard to go cheap
Old 22-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I used to have to wear glasses for driving/cycling then moved to Contact lenses, MONTHLYS, take out once a month wear continuously, life changing
Old 22-07-2019, 08:25 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Blind as a bat for reading now, but still 20:10 for distant objects

Somewhat of an irony that I can easily split a half arc second double but can't read the telescopes handpad
Old 23-07-2019, 10:48 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

I wear glasses for reading and computer use .... long distances is real good for me... if the font is to small, on go the glasses to read Newspapers .

Last edited by FlashDrive; 24-07-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 23-07-2019, 01:28 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Eyes are yet another permanent problem since my stroke. Got a bunch of reading glasses now around the home where I can use them. am only 45 and if I try bifocals I use the ability to walk that I fought hard to regain, since I can't tell what my body is doing I need steady clear eyesight to the floor to retain my balance. Already had to get one new prescription pait when I left hospital and badly need anothe now as it just keeps declining. biology just plain sucks.
Old 23-07-2019, 06:52 PM
leon

Just put up whit it mate, when you get to seventy you will know what being half blind is.
And ya know what you will actually live, maybe

Leon
Old 23-07-2019, 08:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Lewis..we are here for just a blink and so be grateful you are at least alive and functioning reasonably satisfactory...perhaps the important thing to focus upon is how short your existence really is rather than be concerned with the fact that our bodies deteriorate at an extraordinary fast rate.

The key is to extract all one can out of our pathetically short existence and to be grateful one can obtain glasses and all number of things that can create the delussion we are more than mere mortals destined to imminent the oblivion from which we never return or get a second chance...
One can understand why the various religions of the world capitalise on a humans fear that they may actually only be a mere speck in the system of things to make wild unsupprted promises of there being more ..a second life designed to allay the recognition that we live for such a short time and to disappear finally forever with nothing more to recognise our short life than perhapd some off spring who actually cares little for your time or experiences.
Be happy you have eyes and that humans can stave off their deteriation somewhat with glasses. .you should fall down and give thanks to where it is deserved..to the scientists of the world who have given humans real benefits that gives their lives much more than some unsupported hope that things will get better after ones current life is ended and will remain so forever.
Alex
Old 25-07-2019, 06:02 AM
ayiana

Gotta love getting older The best part for me is when I lose my glasses but can't see enough without them to find them.
Old 25-07-2019, 06:15 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

just wait till you start losing your TEETH
Old 25-07-2019, 06:21 PM
morls (Stephen)
Space is the place...

I lost my marbles a long time ago...
Old 25-07-2019, 06:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Keep a business card in your wallet with heaps of pin holes...works exceptionally well if you can't find your glasses and you need to read something.
Also you can get a plastic lens from a pair of cheap glasses grind it down into a circle put a hole in it and put it on a string around your neck...you can use it as a monocle.
Alex