Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 10-08-2010, 06:21 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

White balance filters for modded DSLRs - do they work?

Hello all,
I've been wondering if anyone uses these white balance clip in filters that return the modded DSLR to their 'terrestrial' state. For example the Astronomik OWB filter...
http://www.astronomik.com/en/astrono...cd_filter.html

Do they work or do you still require white balance tweaking in DPP or Photoshop. I shoot in RAW so it's not too big of a problem - just curious to see if these filters actually work.
Doug
Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Doug,

I thought we went over this not so long ago?

Troy had no luck with his filter (X-rite from memory?).

My general sentiment towards general white balancing cards in terrestrial imaging is that they work. They get you spot on. But, and, this is the clincher (for me, anyway), the images look very, very clinical. There's no warmth or coolness about them.

H
Old 10-08-2010, 07:16 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post

My general sentiment towards general white balancing cards in terrestrial imaging is that they work. They get you spot on. But, and, this is the clincher (for me, anyway), the images look very, very clinical. There's no warmth or coolness about them.

H
So what do you reckon - try and find something white in the RAW image to set the white balance point?
Doug
Old 10-08-2010, 07:40 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

You could set a Custom White Balance on the camera to get you close and then tweak it to taste in post-processing.

DT
Old 10-08-2010, 09:03 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

As H said, I had no luck with the X-Nite CC1 filter. Just not quite right. I'm going to sell it, probably for not much at all.

I have a Whibal card that I shoot in different light situations and use that, but it's still not perfect. Does give a feel for what colour temperature and tint should be in different lighting situations, more as a starting point. Then might adjust the colour temp a little to what look right.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Tandum (Robin)

I had a Hutech VLC-FF1 on my modified 40D and it worked well, I could run the camera in full auto. You couldn't use an EFS len with it though, they are too long internally. Can't remember who bought the kit or you could ask them.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Phil Hart

hey Doug

I bought a few XNite filters quite awhile ago for some testing when I was considering getting a modded 5DII and using it for daytime work. They do get you close (close enough that without doing a side by side comparison most people would not see anything wrong with the result). But they are not quite 'exactly' the same result as an unmodded camera.

Since I didn't end up getting a modded 5DII, I have no use for the filters. I have the 58mm, 72mm and 77mm X-NiteCC1 filters. If anyone is interested, just send me a PM.

Phil
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM
avandonk
avandonk

When I use the Canon 5DH as a point and shoot I use the Canon 24 to 105 mm F4L lens and the top of the line Canon flash. On the front of the lens I fit the Hutech or Idas VLC-34 77mm which has the same colour filtering as the filter that is removed to get better HA sensitivity.

When this point and shoot system was new there was not much change from $10k but the performance was stunning as it still is.

So the answer is work out what lens you use most for terrestial and get one of Hutech's filters to suit the lens. Other lenses can have the colour balance adjusted by the software means of your choice.

Bert