Old 18-11-2010, 03:34 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Hi All,

Without APT i ouldn't have been able to take some reasonable happy snaps. great software.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...353#post657353
Old 18-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Yoddha

Adam, EOS utilities are needed to install the correct drivers. If your camera is recognized by Win7 then you can try to use APT, it contains the needed libraries. Please let me know what happened.

Malcolm, it is very beautiful M42!
Old 18-11-2010, 07:47 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

Thanks Ivo - I will give it a try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoddha View Post
Adam, EOS utilities are needed to install the correct drivers. If your camera is recognized by Win7 then you can try to use APT, it contains the needed libraries. Please let me know what happened.

Malcolm, it is very beautiful M42!
Old 19-11-2010, 12:18 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

success!

Well - it all seems to be ok...

I hooked up the 550D to the netbook, and it recognised it without any problems. I then installed the latest (1.20) version of APT, and it connected to the camera without any issues. All without installing any of the canon utilities.

Only 1 small problem that I have found - I can't get the EXIF temperature to appear in the filename. Any suggestions Ivo?

Regards
Adam
Old 21-11-2010, 12:15 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

DSLRs and Dark frames

Just something I found. APT tends to overshoot subs by "1" second thus auto matching darks can be a little difficult. Indeed what are the "darks temperature", apart from reading the EXIF.

I found a piece of software, "Dark Library" written by Steve on CN.

With this you can auto match and insert darks & lights into DSS or search for darks allowing for difference in exposure range time and temp range.

Obviously it's reading Exif temp and this in itself may not be the sensor temp but it's probably as close as one can get and the ability to user select a range of dark temps really helps.

Well worth a look at for DSLR'ers and maybe deserves a thread on it's own.

As you can see from the screen grab I had subs I thought to be 10 degrees C (measured by digital thermometer air temp) but this is showing they actually vary from 15 to 17 degrees C!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (dark library.jpg)
153.9 KB32 views
Old 21-11-2010, 03:52 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

Yes. I have noticed that the EXIF temp is several degrees above ambient. I was playing around the other day with it, air temp would have been 23-25, EXIF gave me 31. Must be camera generated heat??
Old 21-11-2010, 06:44 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
I found a piece of software, "Dark Library" written by Steve on CN.
This look like an interesting piece of software but i am having trouble accessing CN. Do you have a direct link or is it on the site only?
Old 21-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Yoddha

Adam, I'm happy that there is success EXIF temperature is measured inside the camera body, which heats during long exposures. Typically astro exposure rise the temperature with 5-6 degrees. This can be minimized with using longer duration between them. There is a theme in CN with more details on this (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...Number=4199459).

Storing EXIF temperature in the image file name is feature available in the full version only.

Wasyoungonce,I'm trying to find a solution for the overshooting. In fact with my 1000D there is undershooting. The problem is that the different cameras has different delay between the command "Start shoot" and the real start of the exposure. I have already included this delay in the calculations, but looks like rounding is giving 1s difference...
Old 21-11-2010, 07:25 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman View Post
Only 1 small problem that I have found - I can't get the EXIF temperature to appear in the filename. Any suggestions Ivo?
Well - this seems to have sorted itself out also - may have needed to restart software - not sure why it started working - but no probs now.

Adam
Old 21-11-2010, 07:52 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
This look like an interesting piece of software but i am having trouble accessing CN. Do you have a direct link or is it on the site only?

Malcom try here. Although as new versions appear this link will change.

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 21-11-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 21-11-2010, 07:56 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoddha View Post
....Wasyoungonce,I'm trying to find a solution for the overshooting. In fact with my 1000D there is undershooting. The problem is that the different cameras has different delay between the command "Start shoot" and the real start of the exposure. I have already included this delay in the calculations, but looks like rounding is giving 1s difference...

I'm not really troubled by this "extra second" at all. Dark Library can rectify this and also be used to check lights.

So it's all good.
Old 21-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Yoddha

Adam, by default APT only shows the EXIF. To use it in filenames you should set this from the Settings dialog. First select to use temperature in File names, then select that you want to use EXIF as temperature reading in the file names
Old 22-11-2010, 09:40 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
Malcom try here. Although as new versions appear this link will change.
Thanks for the link worked a treat.
Old 25-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Marty

I purchased the full version of APT a week ago and had a couple of nights to play with it on my CPC1100 / Hyperstar / EOS 550D / Win7 setup and it worked wonderfully!!!

Just purchased a TempoHum that integrates with the software so APT can let me know when I am officially freezing my ass off

I've noticed that the temp of the EXIF gets really high if you leave it in live view for a length of time, and takes a few minutes to cool down and stabilize once a shooting plan is initiated.

Very excited about the new FWHM Focus method in V1.3, although I think I also need to get/make myself a Bahtinov mask regardless of this new method.

One question I do have is how I can move it to my secondary larger screen? there is no window button only a close and minimise button which creates a floating window (if you drag that to the other screen and then maximise it brings it back to the primary screen). I did get it there somehow at one stage I don't know how but I got it into a window size and was able to drag to the second screen and then maximise.

I must also say that I have also appreciated the excellent support over the last week. Thanks Ivo!!!
Old 25-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Yoddha

Marty,

Thanks a lot for the kind words! I'll continue to give my best!

The multi-monitor issue is something that I hope to resolve in v1.30 but there is small problem that I don't have two monitors configuration to test
Old 08-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Yoddha

Let me share some news from the "kitchen". All main functions that will take place in 1.30 are almost done. I hope next week to finish all of them and to start testing. Then there will be one week for the beta version and if there are no major bugs we will have Christmas present

The some of the major things are FWHM focusing, Pause/Resume, TemperHum calibration and few surprises

PHD integration will be finished in 1.40...
Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Hi Ivo,

You have done well creating an affordable a detailed program, keep it up.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Looking fwd to the new features..thanks Ivo.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Has anyone compiled a direct comparison between APT and BackyardEOS?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM
hotspur (Chris)

re software

Good question Chris.

I am about to buy either one of these programs,what do the experienced IIS members advise?

I see this one sell for about 12 euros-is that about $20,for a year.what are the other costs after the first 12 months for this one?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers Chris