Old 20-12-2017, 09:03 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Kendrick dew heater and RC8

Hi,

I just got the Kendrick dew heater for my RC8 secondary.

My first surprise was to see that the heater ring was hand-cut to the round shape and has irregular edges. I also noticed that the ring is slightly too wide and that when mounted on the secondary its edges are protruding past the secondary mirror mounting, slightly blocking the light traveling to the primary mirror. It is only by a small amount, less than 0.5mm at maximum, but it has somehow irregular shape as it was manually cut.

Does everybody have the same "problem? Is it a problem at all, i.e. how will these sticking-out-bits affect the images? As I said it does not stick out much but it does go past the edge of the secondary and has irregular shape. I was thinking of trimming it a bit but I am not sure if that will damage the heater wires as I am not sure how close to the edge of the ring they go.

Thanks in advance
Luka
Old 21-12-2017, 07:47 AM
poppasmurf (Shane)

I noticed the same thing a few months ago when I got mine. It did affect my images so I removed it and trimmed it, with a dremmel, to fit inside the outer edge of the secondary and it seems to work fine.

Shane
Old 21-12-2017, 01:34 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Thanks Shane, I will do the same.