Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 18-09-2008, 08:11 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

there would be no need to fill the frame paul.. remember how many pixels are on that chip and its relative size to what most people use for planetary imaging... I rekon even if you had a focal length of 7 - 8 meters it would still produce a good image, you'd just have to crop it down using nino-x....
Old 18-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Ian Robinson

Nice.
Old 18-09-2008, 10:12 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Amazon.com have pre order option at $2699 US. Street price when they arev available in numbers should be less than that.
Old 19-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
If it's equivalent to $2699 US here it won't be too bad ($3500) and remember street price is always less than RRP. Now how can we get the $AU back up.....
Well , if the sh&t keeps hitting the fan in the USA , they keep on printing $'s in some forlorn hope of stopping the free market and international capitalism from falling into a stinking rotting heap on the ground, and the Fed starts dropping interest rates in a panic to keep the banks lending to each other over there and keep people spending, and if china keeps buying our stuff that comes out of the ground like there is no tomorrow .... might be back up near parity sooner than you think.
The USA lives on credit, and as a nation they have no savings and in hock up to their collective eyeballs to every two bit oil despot out there.

If I was a Washington or NY fat cat I would very scared now. My heart bleeds for them. The end is ney you greedy sociopathic speculating so and sos.

I wont be buying a new camera anytime soon, I'm yet to use the 40D I bought a few months ago.
Old 19-09-2008, 04:54 AM
RB (Andrew)

I don't think the 5D Mk II movie mode will be suitable for planetary imaging, not to the standards that a DMK or Skynyx can deliver anyway.

It's more suited for video captures of the family etc.
Handy, but not for serious planetary imaging IMO.
Old 19-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Looks like CentralDS won't be providing a cooling mod for this camera. Wysiwyg emailed them and their answer was a firm "NO" apparently. The positioning of some of the electronics will preclude it from the modded DSLR-seekers shopping list.
Old 22-09-2008, 04:53 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
I don't think the 5D Mk II movie mode will be suitable for planetary imaging
I wouldn't be making any assumptions yet, here's a glowing hands on report of the video capabilities.
Old 22-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Planetary work?? Hope you have a *very fast* computer.

I have been using a Skynyx 2-2 (1600 x 1200) for a time now. None of the PC's I owned could process a .AVI stream in reasonable timeframes.

Solution: Quad core XP64 bit system with 8 Gig of RAM....and even that bogs down with multi-point registax alignments.

That said...the 5D MkII looks like a great camera.
Old 22-09-2008, 07:33 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
I wouldn't be making any assumptions yet, here's a glowing hands on report of the video capabilities.
Yes I've seen that review and it blew me away if it's what it produces, just note though that the video stream is a Quicktime .mov file.
Like I said it will be great for regular movie making especially considering the huge chip, I just don't think it will be suitable for planetary.
Old 23-09-2008, 11:04 AM
RB (Andrew)

OK here's a youtube preview of this eagerly awaited video clip which will be released soon in it's entirety on smug.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XggG7iFfoCk

and a behind the scenes look at the actual session:
http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/ga...157_9PDe6-A-LB

also a link to Vincent's latest blog:
http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/...next-12-hours/

Vincent mentions also that:
"most of the framegrabs you see on the blog so far - therefore from the video I shot - were shot at a still exposure setting equivalent of 1/15th at f2 at 1600 ASA - which is stunning."

>>> There's also another hands on review by another pro photographer below:
http://vimeo.com/1790529

This camera will revolutionise low light videography while allowing the use of any of the Canon EF lenses.
That opens up some amazing possibilities especially when you consider the size of the sensor chip capturing the video footage at full HD resolution.

Can't wait to see this camera perform it's tricks.

Old 21-10-2008, 04:51 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Australian sites have started to list, one claiming delivery in a shopbot search in 3-5 days.

The cheapest price listed is $3999 which is about equivalent to the $3400 predicted adjusted for the fall in the $AU.

Hopefully with plentiful supply, market competition and a rising dollar we might see a reasonable price early next year.

I'm checking the couch for lost coins as we speak.....
Old 18-11-2008, 07:34 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Shopbot is now listing the 5D II from $3785 upwards, with Tom Saades Camera House not far behind for $3799 with Genuine Manufacturers Australian warranty. One dealer is saying ships in 13 days, if that's correct, we should see some by the end of November...
Old 18-11-2008, 08:18 PM
h0ughy (David)

want to hope the Dollar goes up a little
Old 18-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Quote:
Shopbot is now listing the 5D II from $3785 upwards, with Tom Saades Camera House not far behind for $3799 with Genuine Manufacturers Australian warranty. One dealer is saying ships in 13 days, if that's correct, we should see some by the end of November...
Phil,

Is that body only or "kit" price?

My work colleague went to George's cameras in Sydney, and asked them when the 5D Mark II would be for sale. They said they'll have them by the 21st of November, but, won't be on sale for a couple of days after that. They apparently still had a couple of bodies that hadn't been claimed.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 19-11-2008, 07:31 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Humayan, body only, here's a link to the shopbot page, hopefully it doesn't expire.
Old 19-11-2008, 07:42 AM
RB (Andrew)

By the time I can afford one, hopefully supply will be up and their price will come down.
Yesterday at a 'certain' Camera House, they were taking $50 deposits on the 5DII with a body only price of around $5k with the caveat that if they come in cheaper you'll get the cheaper price but if they come in dearer than $5k you only pay $5k.
That's still too much money to pay.
They are expecting them in by end of November.

Anyway it's always best to wait and see if there's any bugs to be ironed out with any new body.

Old 19-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Quote:
Humayan, body only, here's a link to the shopbot page, hopefully it doesn't expire.
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply.

That is really quite disappointing about the $5,000 figure for the body only.

I was expecting it to be between $3,000 and $3,500.

Oh, well.

Regards,
Humayun
Old 19-11-2008, 09:20 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
That is really quite disappointing about the $5,000 figure for the body only.
Regards,
Humayun
H,
I doubt they'll come in at $5k, this store is notorious for being overpriced, even if the price does come in cheaper than $5k and other places have them cheaper, their price will usually be on the high side.
I reckon the 5D MkII body only will be between $3800 and $4500 when it becomes available.
Don't forget the original 5D came in at $4999 originally.
The current street price of the original 5D is $2600-$2800 body only so the 5D MkII will be over $3k.
Old 19-11-2008, 06:48 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane
That is really quite disappointing about the $5,000 figure for the body only
Humayan, don't panic, the prices being quoted in OZ are $3785 up to $4199 max, for body only, any figures over $5K will be for the Kit including 24-105L Lens. Click on the shopbot link I last posted.
Old 19-11-2008, 07:14 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Can anyone tell me if prices on Canon camera gear are cheaper in Singapore than they are in Aus? Or expected duty free prices?

My parents are heading to Singapore in march next year, And If the prices are right, I'll be getting them to pick me up a 5D mkII or an original 5D.. I hope it is a bit cheaper O/S or Duty Free...