Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-01-2020, 03:57 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Dropepd wife off in the Parliamentary Zone - from the bridge onward there were cars parked on the median strips etc with shattered rear and front windows, smashed off mirrors, the traffic light glare shields were all broken off, the trees were stripped of foliage (the road was greener than black!), and there was areas of flooding. The hail was piled up in snow-drift style around buildings, easily a foot thick at DFAT and my wife's work.

By the time we got there, the hail was like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_9878.jpg)
137.6 KB104 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_9876.JPG)
153.6 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_9877.JPG)
153.4 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (WXUT2476.jpg)
210.4 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (KPWU5422.jpg)
168.3 KB104 views
Click for full-size image (BJIP6079.jpg)
181.9 KB103 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_9875.JPG)
186.7 KB49 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_9880.JPG)
151.4 KB44 views

Last edited by LewisM; 20-01-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Old 20-01-2020, 04:37 PM
DarkArts

I was caught driving in it with no cover within 10 minutes range. I was sure the sunroof was a gonner. It sounded like bullets on armour.

Both my cars (just got a new(er) one and was selling the old one) are now very hail damaged.

$*&@##$ $%% ^!!)*#^&*^*$ (^$ !!!
Old 20-01-2020, 05:32 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Parts of Melbourne went through something similar yesterday and it looks like it to some lesser extent today as well.

We copped a barrage of hailstones the size of golfballs and larger, luckily after being caught out 10 years ago we quickly covered one of our cars with an old carpet and the other was quickly driven to next door's carport as they have room for up to 3 cars. The house survived without any damage this time.
This was our front yard during the deluge
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4507.jpg)
205.4 KB39 views
Old 20-01-2020, 05:42 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
We copped a barrage of hailstones the size of golfballs and larger, luckily after being caught out 10 years ago we quickly covered one of our cars with an old carpet and the other was quickly driven to next door's carport as they have room for up to 3 cars. The house survived without any damage this time.
This was our front yard during the deluge
Where I was on Sunday (Wollert) didn't get a drop of rain while the storm cells were going through Melbourne. I was in the 2011 storms, I was parked underneath a tree and every panel was hail damaged but luckily didn't lose any windows on my then 6 month old car.
Old 20-01-2020, 08:39 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Picked wife up from work 20 min ago. Still piles of hail in corners of buildings, under bushes etc. Hundreds of cars parked at various department car parks still - or being towed - all riddled with major dents, all smashed or holed glass. In the end, there will be thousands of insurance claims - my insurer already reached out to me and we weren’t affected at all.
Old 20-01-2020, 11:32 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Picked wife up from work 20 min ago. Still piles of hail in corners of buildings, under bushes etc. Hundreds of cars parked at various department car parks still - or being towed - all riddled with major dents, all smashed or holed glass. In the end, there will be thousands of insurance claims - my insurer already reached out to me and we weren’t affected at all.
The insurer will be likely be reaching into your pocket too, next time you renew. Someone has to pay for all of that damage and Canberra's risk category has changed for sure. It will take a long time to repair all those cars, as there are only so many repairers in Canberra. Vehicles will have to be send to Victoria and NSW to be repaired and owners will wait. Some of the ones I saw on TV looked like write-offs.
Old 20-01-2020, 11:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Where to go?
You have a van all set up. where to go..within Australia.
Alex
Old 21-01-2020, 09:14 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's terrible. Saw that in the news this morning. We got some here too but nothing that big.
Old 22-01-2020, 10:50 AM
BlackSheep (Karl)

Went out to lake george last night and it was briiiiiiillliant. Except I had spats of equipment failure until I gave up and dodged the roos, wombats and foxes to get home without any useful images at 1am... Was good to be out tho.
Old 27-01-2020, 11:40 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

After incredible efforts over recent weeks, by all available resources, RSF, ADF etc, to stop it happening, finally the big mountain fires have made it into the ACT Namadgi National Park ...here we go....I have a bad feeling Canberra looks and smells like a camp fire, windows and doors shut tight yet again...

Mike
Old 28-01-2020, 03:45 PM
casstony

Looks like a nasty hot spell for you guys, but no SW winds during the hot weather, so Canberra should be ok? (apart from the smoke)
Old 28-01-2020, 06:11 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

This is what south-western Canberra suburbs are facing....2003, when we lost Mt Stromlo Observatory, 500 odd homes and four people, is looking very repeatable

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Tharwa fire.jpg)
151.6 KB40 views
Old 28-01-2020, 06:15 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Those water bomber guys are doing an outstanding job. Like one Tharwa resident said today "It looks worse than it is". I hope she's right. It seems to have spread to the pine foreestry now, which accounts for the change in smoke colour.

On an aviation note, it's a joy to watch those DC-10's - the actual smell of burning avtur (delicious), the hum of 3x CF-6 engines at firewall (compared to the drone of CFM-56's we hear all day otherwise), and the split-arse right turn at 500ft.
Old 28-01-2020, 06:19 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
This is what south-western Canberra suburbs are facing....2003, when we lost Mt Stromlo Observatory, 500 odd homes and four people, is looking very repeatable

Mike
Indeed.

We faced it last week - Pialligo and Redwood Forest fires - all 2km away from us. With the Womboin pine forest behind us, it is a bit of a concern fire ember wise IF fire gets into there. Thankfully, Canberra Airport Authority and the Army got into the grasslands all around and it's all stubble - won't burn much between us and the forest.

I'm sure you have, but I'd be bringing the astro-gear home to Braddon Mike. Wallaroo would go up like sawdust.
Old 28-01-2020, 06:33 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post

I'm sure you have, but I'd be bringing the astro-gear home to Braddon Mike. Wallaroo would go up like sawdust.
Yeah thought about it but I have no significant trees around the observatory and for many hectares all around it is sparsely scattered gums and grass land which is currently very short. I have faith in the local RFS to protect property reasonably well but if not, well, NRMA has been engaged most healthily

Mike
Old 28-01-2020, 06:40 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Just bring the FSQ to safety will ya

From snow in Canberra this winter to fires and severe hail...what next? Locust plague?

please, LOTS of it.
Old 29-01-2020, 09:41 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

take it carfully down there you guys does not look good
Old 05-02-2020, 04:42 PM
casstony

I checked the satellite pictures for the first time in several days - looks horribly smoky in the ACT.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:32 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

It's smokey today, but not evil.

Funny thing was I sent a parcel to a guy in QLD. He sent me an SMS saying it actually reeked of smoke. I replied "No kidding after sitting in smoke for 3 months". I don't think some understand how much smoke the ACT has endured and continues to - the Parliamentary Vortex sucks it in from NSW, Vic, SA and WA, and pushes all the water up to QLD. Not sure I am kidding any more .

They say passive smoking is bad for your health...I am sure
Old 05-02-2020, 06:20 PM
casstony

They're forecasting good rains for eastern NSW across the weekend and monsoonal downpours for the northern coastal areas - hopefully dampen down the fires significantly.