Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2015, 12:00 AM
Akwestland (Andrew and Kim)
Andrew and Kim

Success at last

This will sound trivial to most.

After a lot of reading/researching and some inevitable frustrations, combined with some stupid questions on here (I am a very new observer), I raced home tonight, did a very quick setup of the telescope (Celestron 4SE) and very quickly aligned using the moon. Had some fun looking there and enticed the good lady wife to come and have a look. She liked the moon (now that we have a variety of eye pieces) and we spent some time on that.

She was tired and wanted to retire for the evening.

I then quickly trained the telescope on Jupiter, after some mucking around, what a site. The wife (Kim) had a look and she quickly awakened, the eyes lit up, and she was awake, and very inspired. We spent a good 30-40 minutes changing eye pieces a couple of times but mainly swapping "ownership" of the telescope and had some great views is Jupiter and three of the moons.

This is our first "real" accomplishment and we had a great night. As I say, this is trivial to some but we greatly enjoyed the evening. And, BTW, this was all done about 5 feet from our front door.

Avery big thank you to all that have taken the time to answer my stupid questions. We are looking forward to lots more as soon as possible.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Excellent, so when is the Observatory build starting ..??

Glad you both had a good night, always makes it easier when one's partner at least appreciates why you enjoy the hobby.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:46 AM
Andrew and Kim

Brent,

Thank you for that, but I think it may be a little premature at this stage. Although I have seem some fairly easy ones made out of water tanks and we live on a farm. We were just excited to see Jupiter and three of her moons.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 02-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

Glad to hear you've had a successful night observing Andrew, the first views are always very exciting.
Looks like it may be clear skies tomorrow night!
Barb
Old 02-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Andrew and Kim

Barb,

We had a great but brief night last night, the cloud rolled in and got too thick, but we were very happy with what we got to see. But the cloud as it came in did give some great effects, altering the "glow" and at stages some colour. We really enjoyed seeing the bands of colour for the first time, and identifying the three moons, we could not make out Io.

I did start "playing" with filters, but gave that up due to the cloud and decided to spend what time we had filter-less.

I have had a look already at weather sites, and as Kim went to work it was decided that we would go "scoping" again tonight, if everything holds out.

Btw, we will probably be down there again before the end of the month, and yes, off to Bintel with the OTA under arm to start getting ready for the next expansion.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 02-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwestland View Post
Barb

I did start "playing" with filters, but gave that up due to the cloud and decided to spend what time we had filter-less

Btw, we will probably be down there again before the end of the month, and yes, off to Bintel with the OTA under arm to start getting ready for the next expansion.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew I have found the best filter for Jupiter is #56 light green.
The best for the moon is an ND4 filter coupled with a #58 green,this combination takes away the glare and enhances contrast giving more detail.

I'm sure you will enjoy looking at all the toys at Bintel

Barb
Old 02-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Andrew and Kim

Barb,

Another newbie question, is a "moon filter" the same as an ND4 filter? I have done a quick search but have not found anything that correlates this statement. At the same time it maybe a silly question. BTW I have 3 "moon filters" so far.

I have a #56 and #58 filters, my #58 is marked #58A, are they the same, it has been a very long time (20 yrs) since I have played with optical filters.

And I will try that combination of filters in our next session, it is still looking ok here, some light cloud, but hopefully it will be good.

And for Bintel. That is another story, Kim had to drag me out of there kicking and screaming, I could spend so much time (and money) in there given the opportunity.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 02-03-2015, 06:40 PM
madwayne (Wayne)

Great write up Andrew. Wait till you show your wife Saturn. She will be gobsmacked and rightly so. You need to be prepared though when wows up. Tell her an 8" will capture 10 times the light of the this one, imagine the views from a 16".

See the members here are here to help.

Wayne
Old 02-03-2015, 08:50 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Andrew,

Great to read you had a successful time. I'm really happy to read that your wife is also enthusiastic about astro - most of us have 'astro widows'...

Filters can be very useful. Just going blind into using astro filters is only for disappointment. A little bit of knowledge goes a long way. The following link will take you to a very informative site which explains the applications for the various filters, colour and nebulae:

http://www.lumicon.com/store/pg/15-L...a-Filters.aspx

One more thing about using filters. Many of the details they reveal are VERY subtle. It takes time and experience to really get the most of them, as well as scoring good stable atmospheric conditions so the details can be resolved. Many features will not be immediately apparent. Some will appear lighter others darker. Don't only use them. By that I mean, view the planet in question neat, and taking your time with it. Then use this filter and that one. Be patient as it this way that often the will only be apparent.

Nebula filters the same.

There are a few other tricks that can be done with filters. One of my favourite involves a technique called "blinking" - it is actually the same technique used to first find Pluto. With visual, make a little paddle out of thin plywood or MDF, cutting a hole in one end that will allow a filter to be wound into it. You then flick the filter in and out between your eye and the eyepiece. It is a way to quickly alternate between a neat image and a filtered one. This technique is very effective in spotting tiny planetary nebulae with an OIII filter.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the blinking paddle I keep in my eyepiece case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PN Blinking Paddle (1).jpg)
128.9 KB17 views
Click for full-size image (PN Blinking Paddle (2).jpg)
136.6 KB17 views
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Tamtarn
Barb and David

A moon filter and an ND4 filter are basically the same they both transmit just 13 percent of the incoming light to your eye, enhancing contrast of lunar features.
The 58A seems to be the same as the 58.

The 56 that I have is more a yellow/green and I have found this to be better than the light green for Jupiter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	abx.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	178405

Last edited by Tamtarn; 03-03-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Andrew and Kim

Thank you Alex and Barb for your responses.

Alex, I will read that article as soon as I get a chance, thanks for the link and the idea of the "paddle".

Barb, I had a feeling they were the same filter, I just could not find anything to tell me that they were.

We got out again last night. Had a great night, the seeing was not as sharp, but any night viewing is a great night.

Started with the moon, I dont know that we will ever tire from seeing that. And it was not long before Kim instructed me to slew around to see some more of Jupiter, and what a great sight. Spent most of the night right there. Playing around some with lenses and filters, but mainly just enjoying the view. Maybe it was because we had more time to study but we believe that we made out all 4 moons this time. Exciting to do.

The weather is looking ok so far tonight as well, so maybe.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Think Jupiter is a fine sight?! You are really going to get a kick with Saturn...
Old 11-03-2015, 07:49 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akwestland View Post
Started with the moon, I dont know that we will ever tire from seeing that. And it was not long before Kim instructed me to slew around to see some more of Jupiter, and what a great sight. Spent most of the night right there. Playing around some with lenses and filters, but mainly just enjoying the view. Maybe it was because we had more time to study but we believe that we made out all 4 moons this time. Exciting to do.

Cheers
Andrew
Dark adaptation as well. The longer you stay out there without any bright light intrusion the more sensitive yours eyes adapt. 20 minutes is about where they get really started. Also you see more as you learn to look and not just 'see' without recognising a target.
When I'm imaging I cover the PC screens with a black cover and just scan the skies with binos or eyeballs. Last night I had Eta Carina and Wishing Well by naked eye, very rare in my LP'd zone.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:18 AM
Andrew and Kim

Brent,

Now that we are starting to identify and spend time with targeted areas the dark adaption is starting to happen. It all takes time.

As a further question to filters, do people use filter wheels or are they not worth pursuing? Does the installation of a filter wheel not alter the distance between EP and secondary, hence altering focusing capabilities. Would a filter wheel exclude the concept of filter stacking?

I will make a filter paddle per Alex's suggestion, I am just pressed for time at the moment (our Daughter is about to have a baby - in the next 24-48 hrs) so we have been running between home and Melbourne (4 hrs drive) a bit. Is a paddle with several filter holes a worthy idea?

Had a great week viewing last week, this week - nothing. Cloud cover and local burn offs and trips to Melbourne. Oh well....such is life.

Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:31 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Good to hear of your progress and enjoyment Andrew.
I remember showing Jupiter to some family friends through a 60cm refractor down the coast once and they were amazed they can actually see the cloud bands through such a small aperture.
Have fun in the new couple of weeks as the moon is rising later and is waning.
Bo
Old 11-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Andrew and Kim

Bo,

Thanks for that, we have not been out this week yet due to bad conditions, but I am about to look and maybe tonight is the night. I have to go to Melbourne tomorrow for 5 days so I hope so.

We are still enjoying Jupiter at the moment but I will start on some other objects very soon. Not getting bored just want to explore more sights.

Already planning for Saturn, that I believe will be "out of this world" lol, can I use that as a term of enjoyment on here.

Cheers,
Andrew.