Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:13 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
I gather we'll all be out "scouting" on the 13th!
Google Maps is your friend. There is 'street view' of the whole of the Mulligan Hwy. Have a look and Bob's your uncle .
Old 09-08-2012, 05:40 PM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTourist View Post
While it will be relatively easy to show it to people and talk about it at Astrofest, much of it is in a form that would take more time than I have available to put it on line.
Some of it however will go on a website in the next month or so.
I will put out a message when it is available.
Rgds,
Terry
Thanks!
Old 13-08-2012, 09:57 PM
zardos123 (Brad)
new telescope....old eyes

I have organised group accommodation at blue lagoon trinity beach, fortunately for some lucky people two of our group are unable to attend so there are two spots available in a twin share room. They are pool front rooms with kitchen facilities. So interested parties should let me know asap
http://www.bluelagoonresort.com.au/index.html
From the 12/11 to the 17/11 at $71.15 per head per night.Would need 1/2 asap $177.88 and the other half in a couple of months I have also organised a couple of 8 seater vans for the week will cost an extra $7.00 per head per day. There are 14 in our group some from the maitland camera club, some from Newcastle astronomical society and some from iis so it should be fun.
Accommodation is getting very scarce for this week up there so haste is advised................

regards brad

there are two spots available only
Old 16-08-2012, 11:52 PM
purplebottles (Philip)

"The Granite" good hilltop site for 14 Nov eclipse ?

The Granite stuck out like the proverbial when I started scouting for total eclipse centre-line sites for this Nov 14th. Trying to stay away from the Rock Music, I eventually was forced to write a letter on paper and use a stamped envelope to contact a local station property that had no modern contact details that I could find. Very kindly, they suggested contacting the neighbours. So www.adamsdam.com is now alive and useful. They are still building the new tourist camping site as of now. Showers/toilets/power/security/lake for swimming. And access to the big granite hill, possibly by helicopter on the 14th, for those wishing to avoid a big climb. Details are sketchy as yet, so I've asked lots of questions and suggested using Google Earth to illustrate the layout and location of the noisy music and Alternative items at the www.2012acosmicconvergence.com New Age ? Event. Only downside, so far discovered, is "no dogs ". Our Mini-Schnauzers really enjoyed the Ceduna eclipse in 2002. It was my first. My Last may be Gulargambone 22 July 2028 = 3min42sec =from my backyard if I'm still here, in both senses.
Old 17-08-2012, 12:36 AM
purplebottles (Philip)

Three synodic months to 14th Nov solar eclipse.

When the New Moon occurs this morning , we'll be exactly 3 synodic months away from the next total eclipse, I believe. Just an interesting thought as I watch the " Current Moon " app tick over on the Iceinspace page. Sorry, it's 01:54 Saturday morning, [ 18Aug2012 ] when I checked.
Old 17-08-2012, 05:13 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Yes The Granite is a good prospect for views and also for weather. Of course if you want Baileys Beads south of he centre line is better. Never-the-less some friends and I have booked. The site looks great but of course it will be properly hot and it's BYO shade.

We've also had problems with communication, in particular we've had no replies from the eclipsedownunder web site. The station owners said that the cosmic convergence have part of the area but there is also room for general campers. We've enquired about how sites in the general area will be managed but apparently the organisers haven't responded.

Talk of helicopters is a surprise. I hope they have the sense to keep them away from the immediate dam area and out of the air near totality. I did consider climbing the granite but thought better of it. It seems that there isn't enough time in the morning, climbing during the night is difficult and more dangerous but sitting up there overnight could be considered. However I decided I have photographic ambitions and lugging the gear is too much.
Old 21-08-2012, 09:52 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Looking forward to another event! Down in Melbourne and will be able to see some of the eclipse. Hopefully the weather holds up (praying, praying, praying!).

I will be inviting friends over like I did with the Venus transit. Everyone loved witnessing the once in a lifetime event and got some great photos out of it!

Now that I have a full DSLR setup I am hoping to get even better pictures this time.
Old 22-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Hi Stefan I don't think it is visible down Melbourne way thats why we are all heading up cairns way
Old 22-08-2012, 06:40 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Hi Stefan I don't think it is visible down Melbourne way thats why we are all heading up cairns way
I thought it would be a partial esclipse down here. I had a look at the link to the information on it here.
Old 22-08-2012, 07:16 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
I thought it would be a partial esclipse down here. I had a look at the link to the information on it here.
Yes there will be a partial eclipse from Melbourne.
The penumbra will cover the whole of Australia.
Attached is an image showing the magnitude of the eclipse (maximum coverage of the Sun's diameter) from various locations.
Approx magnitude from Melbourne will be 52%.
But do not think you are getting 52% of the show. Nothing like it.
The moon will partially cover the Sun and move off again.
You will not see any part of the dramatic effects of the total solar eclipse.
For that you need to be in the path of totality and THAT is why people are heading for the Cairns - Port Douglas region.
Rgds,
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Eclipse 14Nov2012 Max Mag var locations.jpg)
166.2 KB55 views
Old 25-08-2012, 09:25 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Weather outlook

The latest weather observations and predictions are good news. All the indicators point towards El Nino conditions developing. The BoM predictions for north-eastern Australia for Sept to Nov are for a 40-45% chance of exceeding the median rainfall. So drier than average. However it will also be hotter with a probability of above median maximums of 65% in Cairns and 70% or more inland. Minimums also have a 60-65% probability of being above the median. Exactly how this relates to cloud low in the east in the early morning is, of course, unclear but I'm taking it as a good sign.
Old 26-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Liz

Sounds good David, fingers crossed for El Nino - I heard our local weather guys talking about that too.
Old 27-08-2012, 11:12 PM
cyclone

I've added a cloud sensor to my website.
To compare between inland and the coast over the next few months.
http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au/
http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au/solar_eclipse.html

soon, i will be adding more webcams.
I'm located south of the centre line.
Old 28-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
I've added a cloud sensor to my website.
To compare between inland and the coast over the next few months.
http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au/
http://www.gorgecreekorchards.com.au/solar_eclipse.html

soon, i will be adding more webcams.
I'm located south of the centre line.
Thank you cyclone.
Old 28-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Sausageman (Mike Boggan)
sausagemaker to the stars

I am planning on staying in Cairns and driving North well before dawn, I am an early riser so it won't be an issue for me, the only thing is it will be all camera viewing, I won't bring my telescope up there on the plane, I know how rough the airlines are with suitcases having been in the industry for a lot of years.
So, pack it well, or leave it at home if flying up to Cairns.

Mike.
Old 30-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Fugazid (Darron)

I'm coming too :)

I know I don't post much here, more a reader than a writer, but I'll be up in GlenGarry Holiday Park for the eclipse. It would be nice to say Hi to whoever's around (especially as I'll be roughing it in my tent so you'll probably have better accommodation than me .

Look out for the balding nut with a small hire car & even smaller tent!
Hope to bring my 80mm APO & 2 x DSLR's for the show but I'm also interested in doing some nature photography whilst up that neck of the woods.

Clear Skies to all (cross fingers, become religious, make a sacrifice...)

Darron
Old 03-09-2012, 01:38 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Rest Areas

This map shows rest areas/camping places along the way.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Interactive-map.aspx
Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Phil Hart

I'm planning on getting a whole bunch of gear up there via surface freight or removalist company. I'm surprised more people aren't considering this option? Not cheap but more realistic than an EQ6 and a scope via excess baggage. When else will I get that opportunity at an eclipse?

Quote I got last year was around $220 per cubic metre each way from a removal company in Melbourne, but you may need a small local group doing it together to get to minimum quantity if you're only taking a very small amount.

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausageman View Post
I am planning on staying in Cairns and driving North well before dawn, I am an early riser so it won't be an issue for me, the only thing is it will be all camera viewing, I won't bring my telescope up there on the plane, I know how rough the airlines are with suitcases having been in the industry for a lot of years.

Mike.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:45 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Flying with scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausageman View Post

Mike.
Hi Sausageman,

I think you're being prematurely defeatist.

Cairns will be my ninth total eclipse + another 2 annulars. I've flown all over the world to intercept these eclipses with a variety of instruments
500mm f4.5 lens (110mm front element)
and 70 and 80mm refractors including an ED 80

I have a custom designed and machined ultra light motorized EQ mounting (4.5 kg all up). The EQ mount and optics usually all get packed into a standard Antler semi rigid suitcase - the panels flex a bit. The mount and optics all get wrapped or rolled in about 4 layers of bubble wrap and thrown in the suitcase with my clothes in between.

The whole system + clothes checks in just over 20kg. On most of these trips, I've spent considerable periods of time (weeks to months) traveling before and after the eclipse. Never had any damage to anything despite multi-sector flights to places like Bolivia, Romania, Libya, Zambia, China (twice). No damage. Once in China I blamed baggage handling for some damage to a stepper motor wire but in hindsight, I think it was just a case of metal fatigue. On the way home from Zambia, the suitcase arrived with one corner cracked but the refractor and 500mm f4.5 lens packed inside were fine.

When I visited the remote Tuamoto atolls in French Polynesia for the 2010 eclipse, I packed it all into a backpack rather than a suitcase again with a bit more bubble wrap and a thick beach towel around everything - once again no problems.

Telescopes, particularly modern refractors are very solidly made. Obviously I can't promise, but in my experience, I think your gear will most likely survive a 2hr domestic trip to Cairns given that mine has survived many 20-30 hr multi sector flights.

cheers

Joe
http://joe-cali.com/eclipses
Old 06-09-2012, 01:00 AM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Telescopes, particularly modern refractors are very solidly made. Obviously I can't promise, but in my experience, I think your gear will most likely survive a 2hr domestic trip to Cairns given that mine has survived many 20-30 hr multi sector flights.
I would certainly support what Joe says, although I approach it a little differently.
My 76mm refractor (3kg) and cameras ALWAYS are in a backpack as carry on. Mount & drive is in checked in luggage. Plenty of bubble wrap all round.
I likewise have travelled extensively internationally to many eclipses in this way and never had a problem with damaged equipment.
I would never dream of leaving good optics behind when going to an eclipse.
Rgds,
Terry