Old 04-05-2019, 04:16 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Adobe doubles subscription fee for PS and LR

Adobe wants to double the $10 (US) / month fee for the Photoshop / Lightroom CC to $20 but offer 1TB instead of 20GB.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/654172...0-month-option

In my opinion the cloud storage is useless, because I have a cheaper, faster and more secure storage, this is called an external HDD / SSD.

Now I have this subscription, but when it really goed to $20, I'll quit it and use Affinity Photo.

What are your opinions ?
Old 04-05-2019, 05:01 AM
bojan
amateur

They are doing this because they can...

You always have freeware options.. I am using DPP that came with my Canon camera, I never really needed anything else/more.
And DSS, of course for stacking - f/w again.

Last edited by bojan; 04-05-2019 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:43 AM
gregbradley

I’ll quit too
Photoshop has also become quite stagnant in development.
They never really advanced beyond PS6 much at all.
They are complacent
Cloud storage is useless
Greg
Old 04-05-2019, 07:41 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

PaintShopPro is a viable alternative with no ongoing monthly fees.

It's come a long way and IMO has 99% of the features you got from PS.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:18 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
They are doing this because they can...

You always have freeware options.. I am using DPP that came with my Canon camera, I never really needed anything else/more.
And DSS, of course for stacking - f/w again.
Most of these freewares don't offer most options of Photoshop which are useful for astrophoto post processing. But I downloaded Serif's Affinity Photo for US$50 (A$70) once (no subscription) which comes very close to Photoshop.
My subscription ends April 2020, and when its subscription fee really will be doubled, I'll quit.
And I have GIMP as well, but it does not have everything PS or AP have.
For stacking I use DSS (in a Win 10 virtual box) or Siril (native macOS app) which are both free.
For nightscapes I use the paid Starry Landscape stacker (US$44, macOS only) which stacks frames aligned with the foreground of one frame.
So, no, the other paid astrophotography software does not offer extras for me.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:31 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Have you looked at PaintShopPro?
If so, what if any were the issues??
Old 04-05-2019, 04:10 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Have you looked at PaintShopPro?
If so, what if any were the issues??
It is Windows only, and I prefer it running natively on the Mac instead of in a VBox.
Only DSS I do run on Windows as it is just a stacking app and works well.

And no prices are quoted on their website (at least I cannot find them) and the website is ugly and nonresponsive (lots of horizontal scrollbars in narrower screens) which is for a company selling design products a bummer.

Looking up on the internet I found prices of US$63 and US$80, more than Affinity, but not bad anyway.

Last edited by skysurfer; 04-05-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:14 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I recently looked at options for DAM, Raw development and editing and decided on Acdsee. It has a very reasonable one-off purchase and most of the features of LR and PS in one package. It can also use most PS plugins, including many of the Astro ones I've purchased along the way.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:32 PM
billdan (Bill)

Photoscape (free) is pretty good and does most of what we need. Korean based.

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

PhotoScape is a fun and easy photo editing software that enables you to fix and enhance photos.

Key Features
Viewer: View photos in your folder, create a slideshow
Editor: resizing, brightness and color adjustment, white balance, backlight correction, frames, balloons, mosaic mode, adding text, drawing pictures, cropping, filters, red eye removal, blooming, paint brush, clone stamp, effect brush
Batch editor: Batch edit multiple photos
Page: Merge multiple photos on the page frame to create one final photo
Combine: Attach multiple photos vertically or horizontally to create one final photo
Animated GIF: Use multiple photos to create a final animated photo
Print: Print portrait shots, carte de visites(CDV), passport photos
Splitter: Slice a photo into several pieces
Screen Capture: Capture your screenshot and save it
Color Picker: Zoom in on images, search and pick a color
Rename: Change photo file names in batch mode
Raw Converter: Convert RAW to JPG
Paper Print: Print lined, graph, music and calendar paper
Face Search: Find similar faces on the Internet
Old 04-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

As a pro photographer I used Adobe for a long time but their prices have been getting stupid, now I have cancelled my sub and BOUGHT Photoshops last latest CD full version from ebay

Remember when software came on CDs, then companies found they could get more out of the consumer by making it only available online. why

Because few people updated

I have used Pinnacle Studio for 20+ years, I am on version 19, I will not update every year
Old 05-05-2019, 02:43 AM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Holy crap! That's nasty, yes I'll be abandoning them too, despite loving both programs. Plenty of time for everyone to share their favourite alternatives. I once tried GIMP, but found its UI worse than PI ! Has it improved??
Old 05-05-2019, 07:28 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Well, so far they have not actually forced any existing customers on to the more expensive plan, such as myself.

At this point it seems to be a cheeky experiment to see if anyone noticed and people stopped buying it. If they try to make it permanent and roll it out to existing customers then I will treat them the same way as I did Photobucket, "Abandon ship"

Which would be a pity, I moved to it as I could do in minutes what hours of struggle did not replicate for me in GIMP.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:13 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

FWIW, I use Affinity Photo & whilst I'm absolutely no expert, it is every bit as good at PS without the hefty price tag...

There is a fantastic user forum & plenty of very comprehensive video tutorials...

It cost me $80... one off licence fee & that was about 4 years ago & I still receive free updates...

There are no astrophotography modules that run with it as far as I know but, if you already use other programs in your astrophotography that probably won't be an issue for you..

Simple to use program, looks & feels very much like PS with some minor differences.. I have no hesitation recommending it...

Edit: Postscript: If you google Afinity Photo Trial, it appears there is one... no idea how long it lasts or what functionality it has but, you can apparently try before you buy...

Last edited by Outcast; 06-05-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:06 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Affinity Photo is awesome and comes very close to PS and in some cases even better.
It has automatic lens profile correction (in the Persona Develop), but lacks manual lens correction, which results that my Samyang 14 has no lens profile. But, I can define my own lens profile by just manually correcting distortion and vignetting of a photo of a plain white framed rectangle taken with that lens and saving as 'Samyang 14'.

And the Astro plugins of Photoshop don't work, despite they support Photoshop plugins. But it is not a big deal I barely use it.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:13 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
FWIW, I use Affinity Pro & whilst I'm absolutely no expert, it is every bit as good at PS without the hefty price tag...
I'm second to that! Affinity Pro is a great replacement for the Photoshop. Interface is very similar. Of course there will be differences, but it has the same logic. I'm using it since the day one. Yes, it costs money (not a lot), but it's 100 times better than GIMP.

Together with Skylum Luminar it's a proper replacement for Photoshop + Lightroom + Adobe Bridge.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:38 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Had a stand-alone copy of CS6 for years (ver 13.0.1, last updated 2012). Don't need to pay anything, anytime. Never updated it, never had to. I need a different plug-in, I download it and install it. Done.

Tried the CC versions - no upgrade from the stand-alones whatsoever - I never did understand the hype everyone went into about them.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

That's odd. I visited the CC website after seeing this thread and 1TB of cloud storage, along with a price doubling, is optional. Still $14.29/mo in Aus for 20GB.

In any case, I tend to put this kind of expense into perspective. $14.29 is around 3 cups of coffee a month from my favorite coffee shop. Sure, I'd be peeved if they doubled my subscription cost, but that's still only 6 cups of coffee a month

Besides, I use PS every other day for my normal photography needs. Indispensable for editing raw image files from my cameras.

Last edited by marc4darkskies; 06-05-2019 at 10:49 AM.