Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 20-07-2019, 10:03 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

So far the rally cars are disappointing ..I recon some of the locals go down the road faster...hang on one just went by sounding more like I expected..he did not slow down for a hump whereas all the others did..so far.
They are pretty quiet.
Alex

Anyways got one side of the floor painted.
Alex
Old 23-07-2019, 08:08 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am back in Sydney so progress will be seemingly halted...but not so...I need an inverter and circuit board for the van...and I need to round up stuff to take up..I was going to cut up the cube to provide a box for a widefield set up this time down but maybe I will just concentrate on the main box.

I did start painting the lining black...the paint for the floor is water based so when I washed the brush I use that solution for the ply paneling...rather nice effect...and that way nothing wasted...I hate waste...
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 24-07-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 27-07-2019, 07:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Today's progress.

A monumental achievement for me...just now finished in the dark. I left it until dark cause I did not want the neighbours to think I was crazy.

In the cube I built a cement pier which I thought if I can get it out of there and somehow lift it over the balcony and throw it over and somehow lift it into the car that will be one less pier to build up North...I forgot that I had not only bolted it down but put it on wet concrete when I put it in...so when I removed the nuts it still would not move.

Fortunately only this morning I found a couple of steel wedges that I forgot that I had and so hammered these and got it separated from the patio.. I was then able to drag it to the other end of the patio where I figured I could probably lift it over and drop it one storey on some plants that would cushion the fall...but I could not lift it and safely drop it as given its weight it was probable it could bounce and damage something...it had so much steel in it I was not worried that it would be damaged but bouncing could have it hit something or cartwheel down the drive even being square that was a concern....so I fashioned a ramp and attached two ropes to the pier to drag it up the ramp..when at the top of the ramp I tied it off with only a foot between where they were tied off and the top of the rail...edged it off the ramp and balanced it on the rail and edged it over holding on so if fell slower..only a foot..enough to not rip the rail out..the rail took it that way and then by easing off on one rope and then the other I was able to slowly and safely lower it to the ground...

I am so happy and hope the ramp idea enables me to get it into the car..I don't know how I will get it out when I get it up North but maybe a couple of ropes up some trees and a little winch (turffer) I picked up at Lismore car boot markets for $15 will justify such a huge investment.

If I remember in the morning I will get some photos but it sure would have been great to have recorded the event on video.

Also I managed to get the EQ6 down the stairs without it being in a box..in a box I can slide things slowly but I managed to sling it under one arm and use the other to hold the rail...it was slow and painful but I did it... for me this was also a big event.

I can't believe I managed to do it all with relative ease.

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 27-07-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 28-07-2019, 08:33 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Photos.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20190728_082540_resize_80.jpg)
128.6 KB39 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20190728_082459_resize_75.jpg)
130.2 KB35 views
Old 28-07-2019, 04:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I got it into the car but I nearly died..I have been hours trying to recover...but it's in ready to go.
Alex
Old 28-07-2019, 06:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

All loaded ready for the next step..cutting some trees...I have cut down a few..enough to realise it's really a big deal..and I know how to drop them but still dropped three iron barks in the dam...so also loaded is heaps of rope so the newly acquired van does not fall victim.
Alex
Old 29-07-2019, 08:37 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
I really enjoy reading your progress and understanding how you achieve little milestones which ultimately result in hopefully a rewarding completion to your project
I must have missed it but did say your Obs is big enough for your 8Ē f5 ?
Hopefully it is so you can maybe chase after some of the dimmer DSOís

Good luck and enjoy your the fruits of your labourís when itís finished , hopefully with plenty are clear dark skies

Cheers
Old 29-07-2019, 08:12 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Thanks Alex for sharing. I'm following your epic journey with great enthusiasm. Much like a ongoing Phantom comic in the newspaper, except your adventure actually has a goal, purpose and I believe, a resolution!

Speaking of home observatories, mine is bigger than yours, but infinately less effective. We are in the process of getting a new roof on our house. There is currently no roof present above us tonight.

Naturally, an opportunity to observe was taken from the comfort of indoors... In this case, Jupiter :p
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Observatory.jpg)
26.5 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (Jupiter.jpg)
20.3 KB34 views
Old 29-07-2019, 08:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin
I write here to put some pressure on myself as I see the date of the last entry and usually things I have listed to do. And I look at the photos sometimes to remember what I have been through.

The observatory will take both the heq 5 with the 80mm and also the eq 6 with the eight inch. ..the reason I had to rotate the thing was so the eight would have room to move.

I have just now walked into the van after 10 hours on the road..in the car is the cement pier and mounting stuff for the eq6 and indeed the eq6, I forgot how heavy it was...its big...as well as the eight inch and lots of stuff such that the car as packed with only room left for a driver...the night here is perfect but I am too tired to set up...moving that cement mount and getting it in the car really knocked me about...well it was not the only thing as packing to a real long time..I am bit sore and very tired.

Now how to get the cement pier out of the car??? That will keep me awake��
Alex
Old 29-07-2019, 08:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Thanks Alex for sharing. I'm following your epic journey with great enthusiasm. Much like a ongoing Phantom comic in the newspaper, except your adventure actually has a goal, purpose and I believe, a resolution!

Speaking of home observatories, mine is bigger than yours, but infinately less effective. We are in the process of getting a new roof on our house. There is currently no roof present above us tonight.

Naturally, an opportunity to observe was taken from the comfort of indoors... In this case, Jupiter :p
Thanks Andy.
Look leave the roof off and install a big tarp that you can move as required

I could not help myself I went out and arranged some tools and looked at things that will help get the cement pier out. I have some nice logs ( don't know what they are but looked like hardwood and is as light as softwood) which I could rig as a tripod which could work...maybe later tonight
I am so tired but after a cuppa and a rest I feel ready to go but I know it's best if I try and sleep... and maybe get up around 3 and try M31 with the Nikon and a 200 mm lens..Being out there just now I realised I have a good North view . ...usually North is of no interest.
Alex
Old 29-07-2019, 08:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

What I did manage to bring was my ALDI camper type fridge which means I can get a couple of roasts to do over the fire pit...there is nothing like a nice leg of lamb slowly cooked over a smoky fire...four or five hours. .. so I can do that and able to keep it after cooked.
Alex
Old 30-07-2019, 08:12 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Couldn't get up for M31 but there is cloud here now so probably didn't miss a thing.
Been up since 6-30 am and set up most stuff for more work. Have to clear the car out so I can see if I can get the pier out..well I will get it out somehow but I don't want to knock myself out like when I put it in.

Just setting up here is a task. Set up the solar panels and battery for the astronomy side, but have to do some major rewiring in the van..I want to bypass what is there and know what is running about the place. I purchased another inverter to run the van so as to keep the van and the observatory separate systems.

The to-do list is growing but last night I found a list that I was working from and heck I sure have made some progress.

It does not always feel that way cause you tend to think about what still needs to be done but I do like looking over those lists to realise it is actually moving forward..

I have decided to use the clay for a rather unique chess set and rather than make pieces the same will make everything a individual piece which relieves pressure to copy pieces exact...how to fit it in however.
Alex
Old 30-07-2019, 08:53 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Easy as...came out in no time (I didn't time it but maybe only ten minutes) a little planning goes a long way. Really didn't need the turfer but the ramp was critical...

And the other pic is what goes on top of the pier to hold the eq6..it houses the top of the tripod which enabled me to keep it simple..done years ago...but newly painted
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20190730084531_resize_11.jpg)
133.0 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20190730084624_resize_47.jpg)
110.4 KB32 views
Old 30-07-2019, 11:06 AM
dikman (Richard)

You're doing well, mate. When I read your earlier post about moving the pier I immediately visualised the ancient Egyptians building the Pyramids by hauling big blocks with ropes etc (unless you believe aliens built them).

Reminds me of when I bought a large anvil (280 lbs) and had to get it out of the car! Biggest problem was the boot had a high lip on it!!

Sitting around a fire, roasting some meat (baked potatoes in the ashes, maybe?) and a beer - couldn't ask for much more, I reckon.
Old 30-07-2019, 11:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Oh how I would love a 280 lb anvil.

Thanks for your encouragement Richard.

As to veggies.. potato,sweet potatoes pumpkin..all great for baking.. but in a conventional baking dish...I do use a camp over but usually just for bread or pizza.

Beer rarely if not at all...but I have been getting whiskey to forget the legs sometimes but a bottle only last two days...well not two days but 24 hours starting at 8 pm it is gone by 8 pm the next day..but I find it dulls my legs ... but not being allowed to drive means I rarely use it...been thinking of making my own..just for fun..

I don't seem to get drunk just slower and more careful cause I know my ability is different.

Thanks for your post as it is so nice to have a rest and find a comment..Anyways back to work.
I have decided to take the tree down like in the Lord of the Rings, well not entirely but pull it down rather than cut it..I reckon if I dig a hole in the direction it is to fall, add water, tie some ropes under tension it will eventually fall over. Anyways that has started, about two hours ago...so any month now.

Alex
Old 31-07-2019, 12:14 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Little progress on the observatory as spent all my time sorting the van and the electrics and trying to climb over the accumulating stuff. At least the car is unpacked now.
Alex
Old 01-08-2019, 04:52 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Not a roast but just cooking sausages and carrots on a star picket. Late edit rather than new post so someone else is on top...the sausages were great but the carrots were excellent ..tasty as perhaps the best I have ever tasted as the fat from the sausages ran down and gave then a unique flavour...I spent time today leveling the thing and working out footings and fixed the turffer which was playing up... I am going to do some beef jerkyover the fire tomorrow if I can fit that in.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20190801164247_resize_59.jpg)
104.2 KB29 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 01-08-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Cut down four trees and taking an exposure now to see how many more so I can see csp
Alex
Old 09-08-2019, 06:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Not much happening as I have been getting a little astronomy in ...also one night up to 3-30 am processing so I have been exhausted during the day really. Today I spent time squaring the thing up and adding additional screws in various places. I cut some planks to add to the exterior for additional strength and measured for the corner iron sections but my bargain Aldi Genny would not run the angle grinder..just now..there are three gennies at the house that will do the job as I have used the angle grinder on them and they worked ok. I played at digging starting the holes for the piers but frankly I could not go on so came in to cook a meal as I forgot to eat today.
It's like when you get a house to lock up stage..it looks complete but actually that is when the work really starts.
I am going to bring down the old 1100 amp hour 12 vlt batteries from the house having gained experience and confidence as to moving heavy stuff using ropes and that neat little $15 turffer. The batteries are on their last legs but I expect I can get a usable 50 amps out of them which should run the fridge..anyways those at the house will be happy to get them away from the house as folk have been telling them stories about old batteries blowing up and they feel they are dangerous.
Sorry there is not more to report and I suppose from now on it will be just small things like painting adding a better door maybe a motorised roof...And building the pier for the 80 mm might be fun if I can't get a welder and have to make the connector fitting in fibre glass..well not fibre glass but resin and stainless steel dish washers...
Alex