Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 30-05-2014, 10:55 AM
209herschel (Herschel)

Skywatcher Solid Tube 10" - Copper/Brass accessories

Hi everyone,

I've posted this in the regular equipment forum but I now think I should have posted it here first. This is my first post so I apologise if it's obvious 'm looking to buy my first telescope and I'm interested in a Skywatcher 10" solid tube dobsonian that is for sale. It looks like a good deal but the pictures I've been sent show a copper/brass coloured part to the Finderscope and a brass/copper ring on the focuser. I'm not sure what these are as all the pictures of this telescope I've seen online don't have these colours on it. I'm just concerned it's not exactly the item being advertised.

I've attached two images that show what I'm talking about. I had settled on buying an 8" dob from Andrews for $449 but this is a 10" Skywatcher for $500 so it seems a good deal. Any advice on this choice would also be appreciated!

I'd be grateful for any information as I can't find any mention of these coloured parts on this scope for sale.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_6903.jpg)
71.1 KB96 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_6906.jpg)
82.8 KB104 views
Old 30-05-2014, 11:46 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Looks more like gold anodised aluminium to me, not brass or copper. No problem there. 10" for $500 sounds good. What other accessories come with it ?
Old 30-05-2014, 11:53 AM
209herschel (Herschel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Looks more like gold anodised aluminium to me, not brass or copper. No problem there. 10" for $500 sounds good. What other accessories come with it ?
Thanks very much for the reply. It comes with 10mm and 25mm plossl eyepieces, and a 1.25"-2" adapter. The scope doesn't have a cooling fan and I was wondering if that's an issue. It's pyrex so it's supposed to not be affected by temperature change as much. Also, is this a Crayford focuser or rack and pinion. Everyone says that everyone upgrades to Crayford eventually so I'm just checking on how much I'll be up for after purchasing.

Thanks again.
Old 30-05-2014, 11:59 AM
RB (Andrew)

So we don't double up on threads, I'm locking this one and directing everyone to the other thread.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=121483

Thanks.
Closed Thread