Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-09-2019, 06:27 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Yup, no issues with the .1 update - it's the jump from 12 to 13 that is causing most issues.

I also recommend updating by NOT having it connected to the computer - stand-alone through the phone is best.
Old 26-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Yup, no issues with the .1 update - it's the jump from 12 to 13 that is causing most issues.

I also recommend updating by NOT having it connected to the computer - stand-alone through the phone is best.
So, in summary:
  • You tried updating in some historic reenactment sort of way (PC... cable... iTunes...) and declared iOS 13 the worst ever because it wouldn't work. Then, trying it the way it's done in this day and age, it updated fine.
  • The new features, refinements, functionality and apps* in iOS 13 are for "millennials, snowflakes and all the simpletons", hence you consider going back (sic!) to Android.
  • iOS went from "worst ever" to "no issues" in just one dot release. Remarkable.

* If you are curious about what's new in iOS 13, this massive, encyclopaedic review reveals all in epic breadth and depth. It'll take days to take it all in, but the review is well structured and you can jump around the parts that interest you. Use the table of contents icon in the upper right corner.
Old 26-09-2019, 09:04 AM
nsavage (Nick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post

Sorry but for a lot of users this is terrible advice. If you do have issues and have to restore from iCloud that can take ages. Worse still if you do not have an iCloud backup...

IMO plugging it in to the computer and performing a backup prior to updating is the safest way to go about it. Yes it may cause an issue and you may have to restore to default but at elast you can quickly and easily restore your backup over the top if required.

Maybe I am wrong? I don't use iCloud backup (probably should) and I don't allow the phone to update over Wi-Fi. I am extremely risk adverse so knowing that I have a backup taken moments before I start the upgrade process seems like the least risky way of doing it to me.
Old 27-09-2019, 02:34 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Stefan, there were no issues in the update-I didn’t say there weren’t any flaws, bugs, problems. Just the update after 13 finally installed and I updated to .1 went ok.

Still can’t find a single thing of benefit in the “upgrade”, considering I use the phone as -heck- a phone rather than my life :crazy: It makes phone calls, receives messages, navigates. Good. All I need.
Old 27-09-2019, 02:39 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsavage View Post
Sorry but for a lot of users this is terrible advice. If you do have issues and have to restore from iCloud that can take ages. Worse still if you do not have an iCloud backup...

IMO plugging it in to the computer and performing a backup prior to updating is the safest way to go about it. Yes it may cause an issue and you may have to restore to default but at elast you can quickly and easily restore your backup over the top if required.

Maybe I am wrong? I don't use iCloud backup (probably should) and I don't allow the phone to update over Wi-Fi. I am extremely risk adverse so knowing that I have a backup taken moments before I start the upgrade process seems like the least risky way of doing it to me.
Plug it in, back it up. Unplug it from pc plug into power only. Update over wifi because apple has an unreal USB issue (whereas previously they did not).

It has always been recommended to update through iTunes. Seems not now. Most reported errors are Error 14 - where the iPhone drops USB connectivity in the middle of updating as the driver is overwritten. Yippee
Old 30-09-2019, 04:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I knewded I weren't krazy...

Latest iOS13.1.1 patch notes - they are cranking out the fixes fast at least - hopefully not mere band aids.

iOS 13.1.1 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone. This update:

• Fixes issues that could prevent iPhone restoring from backup
• Addresses an issue that could cause battery to drain more quickly
• Fixes an issue that could impact recognition of Siri requests on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
• Resolves a problem where Safari search suggestions may re-enable after turning them off
• Addresses an issue that could cause Reminders to sync slowly
• Fixes a security issue for third-party keyboard apps

1. YUP!!!!
2. HELL YUP!!!!!
3. Happened on SE too....
Rest don't apply to me.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Sigh, we’ve had to update several iPads from IOS 12 to 13, then to 13.1.1 and now 13.1.2.

Each update is over 3Gigs and on 4 iPads it ain’t much fun…

Cheers

Dennis
Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Exfso (Peter)

My Iphone 6plus is now updating to 12.4.2, apparently nothing after that, is that because the age of the phone limits the upgrades?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
My Iphone 6plus is now updating to 12.4.2, apparently nothing after that, is that because the age of the phone limits the upgrades?
Yes - here is a quote from ZDNET

"All iPhones older than the iPhone 6S won't receive iOS 13. This means that the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPhone 5s will remain stuck on iOS 12 forever, and begin accumulating unfixed bugs and security issues from the point iOS 13 is released."

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ios-13...r-ipad-run-it/

Cheers

Dennis
Old 02-10-2019, 09:49 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Yes - here is a quote from ZDNET

"All iPhones older than the iPhone 6S won't receive iOS 13. This means that the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPhone 5s will remain stuck on iOS 12 forever, and begin accumulating unfixed bugs and security issues from the point iOS 13 is released."
Which has already been proven to be untrue, by the release of iOS 12.4.2 (after the iOS 13 release).

Two of my sons still have iPhones 6, and those are still working fine after 5 years. We might start looking at replacing them eventually, but this wasn't a bad run at all (so much for "planned obsolescence").
Old 02-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Wavytone

Stop scaremongering.

They don't "begin accumulating unfixed bugs". The bugs are already there.
What matters is whether someone exploits them.

Secondly the vulnerable iOS devices are circa 4+ years old. Pretty good innings for a device expected to last 1 year.