Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:50 PM
luka
Unregistered User

If you PM me your email address I will send you a link to a testing version of the ASCOM driver (that at the moment works for this device only).

I got sidetracked with work and have not done much work on the other devices yet.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:48 PM
rally

Hi Luka,

The MS HID driver will automatically install so you would need to delete it in Device Manager and select your own custom VISA driver. This can be done using LabView's VISA wizard utility that allows you to create your own USB raw device driver.
If you knew what the DLLs are in the HID driver you can also use it in LabVIEW by using a Call Library Function Node.

A job for a rainy day !
Possible if you have the time and inclination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Rally, all those devices are programmed to come as HID devices. Actually often they appear as two HID devices at the same time. I don't think you can remove the MS HID driver. Can you use LabView to access HID devices? There are MS DLLs with functions that allow low level access. Once you can open it then you will need to send the correct commands to read temperature/humidity and then calibrate the readings. But opening the HID device would be the tricky part.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:19 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Rally, we already have a working driver using the Windows HID DLLs (and I have not used Labview for years). The other TEMPer(Hum) devices work the same as the one I got working, the only difference is the different protocol... Well, when I say protocol it is only 6 bytes getting passed each way so it is not complicated at all.

However, the complicated part is managing multiple devices and making the user interface which allows easy selection of devices and also modification of all parameters. Possibly even allowing the user to manually enter the hex device protocol commands... not sure.

Really, not complicated, just takes time which I unfortunately don't have lots of ATM.
Old 15-06-2017, 12:09 AM
luka
Unregistered User

The very first version of the driver that supports multiple devices is ready for testing and uploaded to the shared Google Drive. It allows tweaking of almost all parameters and mixing of various settings from different devices to "make new devices". Hence the setup form looks complicated. I will need to do a bit more work on it and on the instructions but I would like to see it working first
To use:
- Plug in TEMPer device
- Go to configuration in ASCOM and click autodetect.
- If the autodetection does not complain then click read on the bottom and you should see the temperature (and humidity).
- If the autodetection complains get the list of HID devices, read parameters of your TEMPer device and post a screenshot here.

Once configured the driver should work with Sequence Generator. Also I fixed the delay in reading from the initial version.

Remember that this is the very first working version for multiple devices with LOTS of changes. Expect bugs and issues and please report whatever you notice, god or bad. Enjoy.
Old 15-06-2017, 06:25 AM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

Thanks mate, terrific news and much appreciated. Will get on to it. Am hoping to get some time this weekend.

Pete
Old 15-06-2017, 09:14 PM
luka
Unregistered User

I forgot to add last night, this is the list of currently supported devices:
TEMPer1F_H1_V1.4
TEMPer2HumiV1.x
TEMPerHumV1.0rHu
TEMPerHumM12V1.0
TEMPerV1.2
TEMPer2V1.3
TEMPerNTC1.0

Those are devices for which I could find information for on the internet. The other devices may work as well as lots of them are actually identical.

Unfortunately there are other devices out there for which no information exists. Can't do much about them
Old 08-07-2017, 12:22 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Hey guys, Luka has created a quality product worth giving a spin if you get time. Very civilised having access to temp for Sequence Generator now through ASCOM. With all the variations in these devices your input could be beneficial.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:28 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Rob, thank you for your kind words and for the help testing the driver

I have uploaded version 0.8.1 to the Google Drive shared folder. Lots of changes and bug fixes behind the scenes. Screenshots are attached.

At the moment, with Rob's help, we have confirmed that the driver is working for:
TEMPer1F_H1_V1.4
TEMPERHUM1V1.3

Also supported but untested are:
TEMPer2HumiV1.x
TEMPerHumV1.0rHu
TEMPerHumM12V1.0
TEMPerV1.2
TEMPer2V1.3
TEMPerNTC1.0
TEMPerHumM12V1.2
TEMPerHumM12V1.3

The other devices may work as well but again I have no way to test them.

Instructions:
- Connect device and go to ASCOM properties for the TemperHum driver
- Click Detect Device
- If the message says that everything is working, click OK and you are set to go

You can test if it works by clicking Read Sensors

- If you get an error message click OK to expand the window and search for HID devices (right hand side of the window)
- Find the HID device that looks like a TemperHum device and copy the PID and VID to the left hand side of the window (click advanced first)
- Play with different devices and different sensors until you get valid readings.
Make sure you keep the PID and VID as found above.

If you find a working configuration for untested or new device please send the settings to me (screenshot is enough) and I will add that device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot1.png)
23.4 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot2.png)
38.0 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot3.png)
50.9 KB43 views
Old 29-09-2017, 02:10 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

I don't have the TEMPerHUM device, or SGP yet, but since I am looking at purchasing SGP, and I like what TEMPerHUM does, I'd like to thank you Luka.

I'm just about to purchase a TEMPerHUM device off EBay now, will let you know what the device details are (although I'm on OS X). I know this is a Windows ASCOM driver that you're working, and that SGP works only on Windows, but I'll have to figure out the OS X device manager information windows to get the right device information for you.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 30-09-2017, 02:00 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I started having trouble after I moved from a 32bit Win 7 laptop to 64bit Win 7. Suspect it could almost anything USB related other than Luka's driver.

Just haven't had time to play again, as the USB freezes were too dangerous when doing automated data collection. Seemed fine on 32 bit though.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:01 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Thanks Dave.

Rob, ASCOM applications are "mostly" 32-bits, more info in the first paragraph here. Basically it is not possible to mix 64 and 32-bit ASCOM applications. However, this driver was compiled specifically for 32-bit. I have recompiled a new one with "any CPU" option which should cover both, not sure if it will change anything. It is in the TEMPerHum public folder.

Sorry for the lack of progress and slow replies, I got sidetracked by work. Did not have time to get testers on the SGP forums or to release the source yet
Old 10-10-2017, 10:38 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Thanks Dave.

Rob, ASCOM applications are "mostly" 32-bits, more info in the first paragraph here. Basically it is not possible to mix 64 and 32-bit ASCOM applications. However, this driver was compiled specifically for 32-bit. I have recompiled a new one with "any CPU" option which should cover both, not sure if it will change anything. It is in the TEMPerHum public folder.

Sorry for the lack of progress and slow replies, I got sidetracked by work. Did not have time to get testers on the SGP forums or to release the source yet
Don't apologise Luka - this is a very nice thing that you've done for the community. Sometimes I wish I could program, but sadly, I've got more chance of flying au natural than of learning to program lol!

My TemperHum should arrive within the next 2 weeks. I will try and decipher the appropriate information and post them in the thread as device feedback for you. I'm still to purchase SGP - not too keen on buying v2 and then having to shell out more for v3 with a few more weeks or a month...I'm lucky that way ;-)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Thanks for the kind words Dave.

I also still have not purchased SGP. Even worse, the trial period has expired and the ASCOM observing conditions are disabled in the free version of SGP.

In other words, I cannot even use SGP with TEMPerHum devices and my driver. And even worse, I will have to buy it to do any further development. Not sure if irony is the right word to use here
Old 10-10-2017, 11:36 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:

I also still have not purchased SGP. Even worse, the trial period has expired and the ASCOM observing conditions are disabled in the free version of SGP.

In other words, I cannot even use SGP with TEMPerHum devices and my driver. And even worse, I will have to buy it to do any further development. Not sure if irony is the right word to use here
When you find the loot to do so, SGP is definitely a good investment for the future.
Sounds like they're close to release V3 in near future.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:40 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:

Luka - PM me your paypal or bank account details - I'll happily donate $15 towards your SGP purchase. Hopefully others will match this offer.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Dave, thank you for the very kind offer but it is fine. I like doing things like this for the benefit of the community and knowing that people appreciate my work is more than enough.

The reasons I did not buy SGP yet is that I am still transitioning from APT to it and that so far the light version was enough. And since the trial expired I had no time to work on the software. Also, just like you, I am waiting and waiting for the v3 to come out...

Again, thank you for the kind offer.
Luka
Old 16-10-2017, 07:15 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Dave, thank you for the very kind offer but it is fine. I like doing things like this for the benefit of the community and knowing that people appreciate my work is more than enough.

The reasons I did not buy SGP yet is that I am still transitioning from APT to it and that so far the light version was enough. And since the trial expired I had no time to work on the software. Also, just like you, I am waiting and waiting for the v3 to come out...

Again, thank you for the kind offer.
Luka
All good! Was just happy to help out for your efforts on developing the driver!
Old 17-03-2018, 12:39 AM
luka
Unregistered User

Hi,
it has been a while...

I needed a distraction from the real work and decided to finally get this software to its final shape (for now). It is almost at the stage where I am happy with it, apart from the needed testing. I will put the source code on the GitHub soon, just waiting for feedback.

Main changes for this v2.0 release:
- support for a few new devices (still untested)
- help button with instructions
- minor interface tweaks
- several bug fixes

Screenshots of the simple mode, advanced mode, full mode and the list of supported devices is attached.

If you have a TEMPerHUM device please test and report here.

Download from here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_simple.png)
23.4 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_advanced.png)
37.0 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_full.png)
47.1 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_devices.png)
25.8 KB18 views
Old 18-03-2018, 01:04 PM
LaughingBeagles (Peter)

Hi Luka,

Just got the temp gauge that comes with the Moonlite focuser (it was one less cord dangling from my gear!). I haven't used it as yet but happy to see if this talks to it.

Pete
Old 08-08-2019, 06:24 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

G'day Luka,

Sorry to resurrect old thread, but I found my old TemperHUM and thought I'd try out your ASCOM driver. Doesn't show up when I click "Detect Device", but the show connected devices helped locate it (had trouble finding it in the Device Manager). Screenshot of addresses attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (temperhum.png)
21.1 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_7150 (Small).JPG)
53.6 KB18 views