Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 21-03-2018, 12:14 PM
billdan (Bill)

Chrome blocking websites

This past week I've noticed that Chrome is stopping websites from being displayed for "security reasons".

Is there a setting or workaround for this problem?

Attached is a typical error message I get.

Cheers
Bill

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm still using Win XP, maybe that is the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Chrome blocking.JPG)
54.1 KB66 views
Old 21-03-2018, 12:59 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

No issue with me going to the Wiltronics site with my Win 10 and Chrome, or Firefox or even Iron. Also no issues with the Win7 machine. Can't try XP - don't have a machine with it any more.
Old 21-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

XP is the issue and probably a very outdated version of Chrome and your adobe flash will most likely need updating as well.
Old 21-03-2018, 04:35 PM
billdan (Bill)

I guess that's what it is, Win XP, the rest of the world has moved on and I'm still stuck in the dark ages.

Astrobin stopped working for me 2 months ago and now these other websites I frequent no longer work.

Just going to have bite the bullet and get another PC and see if I can transfer my favourite programs.
Old 25-03-2018, 08:24 AM
sutekh (M)

>XP is the issue and probably a very outdated version of Chrome and your adobe flash will most likely need updating as well.

???

It's not a problem with just XP. (Try using Chrome or Iron to open https://slimbrowser.flashpeak.com in Win7, for instance.)

Actually, the story is that Symantec hastily issued security certificates to some insecure sites, so Google has parted ways with them and is gradually revoking all Symantec certificates. All 30,000 sites with Symantec certificates will not work in Chrome 70 (release date circa 2018 Oct 23).

The new certificates being issued by DigiCert aren't supported by some older Chrome-based browsers in XP, which explains the OP's error. On the other hand, the older certificates aren't supported by the newer Chrome-based browsers, which explains my Win7 error.

The OP could try viewing his page in another browser: Firefox 37 (and its clones like K-Meleon 76 and Pale Moon 24) all display his page correctly in XP. But the fix would be temporary because (starting in April) Mozilla is also gradually dropping support for all of the Symantec certificates.

If Google and Mozilla have their way, then eventually only the newest browsers will be able to support the newest security protocols and the older browsers won't work at all. In the meantime, the OP could try the fix given here

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin...mes;read=10749

because there is a lot more disruption to come.

-- sutekh

Last edited by sutekh; 25-03-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 25-03-2018, 05:18 PM
N5SE (Sal)
33.8 S, 151.1 E

You need to update your windows
Old 26-03-2018, 01:47 AM
sutekh (M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5SE View Post
You need to update your windows
Nope.

In Win10, the SlimJet site (cf. Post #5) does not open in Chrome, but it does open in IE.

In WinXP, the SlimJet site (cf. Post #5) does not open in Chrome, but it does open in Firefox.

The OP's issue is browser-related. Upgrading his OS will not help.

The April updates for both Chrome and Firefox will be rejecting even more Symantec certificates. The security errors will then be showing up no matter what OS you install them in.

And for the Symantec certificates that have been revoked, switching to an older browser won't help, either.

By October, about 30,000 sites will have their certificates revoked and will generate the security error. This is going to get messy.

-- sutekh

Last edited by sutekh; 27-03-2018 at 12:41 AM.