Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2018, 03:34 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
There are many jobs that one can lose one's livelihood if found to have transgressed,
Yep, but it usually has to be a pretty bad transgression, and it has to have a precedent in law.
SA promoted their recent transgressor captain??
Its true politics used to get you fired for minor transgressions, but they soon came to their senses and stopped doing that when they realised there would be no one left.

Quote:
These players would have/should have thought what could happen if caught
They probably thought it would be no different to what happened in the past to others who got caught??? I still say in this case, it is a massive over reaction for a relatively minor ( and common ) transgression.

And as to media, they arent just "reporting" anymore, most give their opinion on how bad it is to stir people up to ring in. It doesnt take too long to detect that many of the muppets who ring in just paraphrase what they heard from the presenters.
ed Its almost like a scene from Lord of the flies, with the cricketers as Piggy.

Andrew
Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Orionskies (Julian)

From what I understand the players have been given these lengthy sentences for "bringing the game in disrepute ". So obviously the crime goes far beyond the singular act of ball tampering. Being the Australian cricket Captain is a tremendous honour and carries with it the burden of responsibility.

In my view the senior players have been given adequate sentences perhaps the junior player may have grounds for an appeal.

Cheers Julian.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:01 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote)
Yep, but it usually has to be a pretty bad transgression, and it has to have a precedent in law.(end)

They broke the law,the law of cricket,which btw they signed to abide by.

That an organisation such as Cricket SA? decides to appoint someone that has transgressed doesn't make it right
"Two wrongs don't make a right".

As for politicians, that just goes down to the morality of the government that allows the transgression to go unpunished.

The other cases of ball tampering that have gone on in the past have been of an individual nature,not a planned action from a whole cricket team, or a big part of that team.

This was not a spur of the moment,but a premeditated action,which has brought the whole of the Australian cricket team and consequently Australian culture into disrepute.

From what was shown of well respected cricket commentators and past cricketers nearly braking down with the disgrace, and of course the realization by these three cricketers,plus Darren Lehmann and of what they have done that brought them to tears, shows them the gravity of what effect their actions had on them. and the cricket watching and playing community.

Lets hope that this will be a lesson in the future to others who might contemplate trying ball tampering.
Hear endeth the lesson.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:13 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Steve Smith will not appeal his 12 month ban.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/43638316
Old 04-04-2018, 05:23 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
It's mainstream & social media driven mass hysteria, the so called cricketing public have followed like a herd of sheep. All 3 players should have copped a fine and a match ban. Done and dusted like every other sport as noted above, then get on with the game. All 3 players are very good cricketers, have done themselves and the country proud on numerous occasions and do not deserve this crap.
All three "players" were blatant cheats and should have been banned for life..., and that policy should apply to every sport in every event. That's the only way this crap behaviour and attitude will ever be stamped out.

It was an attempt at premeditated theft and the financial stakes were high. If they had come home all conquering, they would have benefited massively in the financial sense. They got busted and got off incredibly lightly. IMO
Old 04-04-2018, 05:59 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
They broke the law,the law of cricket,
Fully agree, but all i was pointing out is there is no precedent for this level of punishment.
Quote:
That an organisation such as Cricket SA? decides to appoint someone that has transgressed doesn't make it right
Again agree fully, but again, it sets the "current rules" as to how bad something is deemed to be. ie not really worth worrying about.

Not walking when you know you have hit the ball is cheating.
Appealing for a catch when you know it hit the ground is cheating
Its all a matter of relativity.

Andrew
Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Fully agree, but all i was pointing out is there is no precedent for this level of punishment.

Again agree fully, but again, it sets the "current rules" as to how bad something is deemed to be. ie not really worth worrying about.

Andrew
You missed the whole point of my post
It was a team "leadership team" collusion not like any other
that has gone before,as is known anyway
A precedent has now been set,so now beware those who may contemplate
trying it or something like it again.
With all the cameras on them players will be very silly to try anything,well for the foreseeable future anyway.
Quote)
These pale into insignificance to this offence and are just part of the gamesmanship that has crept into the game,.
But I bet you ,you will now see a lot more scrutiny in future tests and other first class matches.
As I posted above Steve Smith has decided to NOT appeal the decision so he must believe the punishment is just.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:26 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
All three "players" were blatant cheats and should have been banned for life..., and that policy should apply to every sport in every event. That's the only way this crap behaviour and attitude will ever be stamped out.

It was an attempt at premeditated theft and the financial stakes were high. If they had come home all conquering, they would have benefited massively in the financial sense. They got busted and got off incredibly lightly. IMO
Rom I reckon you must be the best and purest bloke who ever lived.

Myself I condemned with the rest of the the sheep on this and then I thought about all the fck ups I've made in my life. Some WAAAAYYYY worse than rubbing a ball with sand paper and realised I've been granted second, third and sometimes more chances to make myself better.

We live in a world too focused on punishment and anger. Sometimes we need to step back and realise things aren't really that important.

I reckon you're a good bloke Rom. But I bet you've made your share of mistakes and been forgiven...yeah?

Sorry to single you out but you summed up my own thoughts better than I did before I rethought them.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:42 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
You missed the whole point of my post
No i didnt, i just dont agree with your interpretation.
Its now a business, not a game, and that changes everything.
Quote:
It was a team "leadership team" collusion not like any other
that has gone before
Dunno that yet, and who says the previous transgressions by others werent planned??? ie a POM with a bottle top in his pocket isnt planned??? gimme a break
Our lot just openly admitted to it, whereas the others didnt.. Maybe the captain just "did the right thing" and tried to protect his minions. No idea what really sits behind this yet, but again, all i can say is the punishment is totally out of proportion, based on history.
Quote:
part of the gamesmanship that has crept into the game,
And here you have missed the point
It is no longer a "game", it is big business.
Quote:
But I bet you ,you will now see a lot more scrutiny in future tests and other first class matches.
On that we fully agree, but if you look at what happened in SA re the bowler "walking into" Smith and being charged, but then let off on appeal, you may realise that gate takings override any "sportsmanship" ideals that might have been left.

Andrew
Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiel View Post
Rom I reckon you must be the best and purest bloke who ever lived. Better than Jesus even who at least realised those who haven't sinned are the only ones who can throw stones.
Indeed. "He" was also a fake, liar and completely over-rated by all accounts! According to himself, he can create fish from nothing... The Law on conservation of mass proves that lie outright

Quote:
Myself I condemned with the rest of the the sheep on this and then I thought about all the fck ups I've made in my life. Some WAAAAYYYY worse than rubbing a ball with sand paper and realised I've been granted second, third and sometimes more chances to make myself better.
... and would you consciously set out to cheat? Would you blatantly insult the integrity of the "game" and your country the way this rabble have?

Quote:
We live in a world too focused on punishment and anger. Sometimes we need to step back and realise things aren't really that important.
I think integrity is worth dying for myself... perhaps a fading trait in this world... These reprehensible bullies and sooks need to be named up for what they are.

Australian "sporties" are loathed around the world for their complete lack of integrity and the hypocrisy of their behaviour both on and off the field. For better and almost certainly worse, these louts are held up as idols by children looking for role models. The obligation that comes with the adoration these worms crave, is that they live up to a high standard of integrity, rather than the pursuit of the all mighty buck.

Quote:
I reckon you're a good bloke Rom. But I bet you've made your share of mistakes and been forgiven...yeah?
"Mistakes" do not involve the premeditated actions of a group to cheat for personal gain. There was NO mistake made here; it was a complete abdication of honesty, integrity and honour as far as I am concerned and they should be crucified accordingly.... just like the above mentioned fake.... IMO

Last edited by el_draco; 04-04-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Wavytone

I frankly don’t see why so many are so obsessed with this topic.

The day any sport prostitutes itself for serious money - either directly (professional salaries, match fees or whatever the latest euphemism) or indirectly (sponsorships, free houses, cars, gifts, travel etc) is the day cheating sets in in a big way and ruins it for anyone who thinks they can compete fairly.

Has been that way for erm... centuries, if you consider horse racing or athletics.

Just take a look at what happened to thugby, sailing, all the Olympic sports - swimming, weightlifting and athletics particularly...

No surprise that cricket has been tainted with the same.

The only thing mildly surprising is that they thought they could get away with it with 30 tv camera with powerful zooms recording every move in closeup.

The one thing i find disgusting is that our governments pour millions per year in support of making these individuals seriously rich, through hosting things like the Commonweath Games and other premier events and providing lavish facilities at taxpayer expense, such as the Australian Institute of Sport and so-on - yet can’t find the money to provide basic sport facilities for ordinary kids at a local level.

The only reason I can find is that it keeps a lot of voters preoccupied with something utterly fatuous, and diverts attention away from what politicians are actually doing (or not).

And you would be right in suspecting I loathe cricket, and thugby.

Last edited by Wavytone; 04-04-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:04 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post

The only reason I can find is that it keeps a lot of voters preoccupied with something utterly fatuous, and diverts attention away from what politicians are actually doing (or not).
^ 100%

Best
JA