Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 13-12-2019, 12:07 PM
HeavyT

Screw on filter connection to flattener AND will clip filters work with Sigma Lenses?

Hi all

This is really two separate questions...

I've just received a flattener for my refractor. If I am to continue DSLR imaging at home (Bortle 5), am I going to need to switch to clip in filters, or is there some way to connect my current 2 inch filters between the t-adapter and the flattener (or OAG)?

I've been interested in clip in filters for awhile as it would mean I could do some very wide field imaging at home. My reluctance comes from reading that there may not be enough space inside my camera body if the lenses intrude too far into it when connected. The lenses are both Sigma DGs, one is a 150mm f/2.8 prime and the other is the 150-600mm f/5.6-6.3. I have a Nikon full frame DSLR.

So the second question is whether there's anyone out there with this sort of rig who might be able to offer their experiences using clip-ins? If it's going to work, I'll be switching as I can use them with the lenses and with the flattener on the scope. I will be moving in to mostly narrowband imaging in winter I think but it will be good to have the option to continue RGB at home.

Clear skies
Old 13-12-2019, 01:28 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

It would depend on your combination. I have a 72mm scope and flattened which needed an adapter to attach it to the drawtube. I had that adapter modified to take a 2” filter so I have the filter inside the drawtube of the focuser.
Old 14-12-2019, 02:31 PM
HeavyT

Well, turns out at least one of my filters is threaded on the scope side, and seems to just achieve focus between the reducer and dslr. But no focus with the OAG in the mix as my t piece is too long and the OAG can't go directly on the dslr because they intrude on each other. So its either oag plus filter minus reducer, or reducer plus filter minus oag.