Old 26-07-2013, 10:16 PM
bpwalker18 (Brendan)

very new to astrophotography

Hi, im new to astronomy and astrophotography, I have bought a canon 1100d and just learning how to use it and what settings are best. In the first night of taking photos I have noticed a small band that looks like a rainbow and arcs for a little bit just wondering if is a glare hitting the lens as im in my back yard or if its something else.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (great.jpg)
212.3 KB75 views
Old 27-07-2013, 05:13 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Can you explain you imaging train. Ie what kind of scope and are you using any reducers or barrows, any filters? It looks a little like an internal reflection. Take an image with the lens cap on and see what happens. It may be leakage from somewhere.

Your focus needs a bit more work as well. Turn your scope too a bright star and use the live view function and zoom in as much as you can then adjust your focus.
If your using a dslr I would highly recommend backyard eos software. It's an image capture software designed for dslrs. It has a focus read out to tell you how close your focus is. It also has an excellent capture plan and the price is very reasonable http://www.backyardeos.com/.
I'm in no way affiliated with this software or developer, I just think its an awesome piece of software.
Old 27-07-2013, 10:14 AM
bpwalker18 (Brendan)

Thanks, it was just from my camera with no scope with 30sec exposure iso 800 and the lens that came with it which is 18mm to 55mm, I also took about 20 photos and it never showed up gain.
Old 27-07-2013, 11:51 AM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Helicopter going across maybe?
Old 27-07-2013, 12:08 PM
rat156

First things first, your focus needs some work, the previous suggestions will work, but if you still have trouble focusing, then just pick something bright a long way away, anything more than 50 m should be fine. Then take off the autofocus. If you then shoot a couple of stops in from maximum aperture you should be fine.

The rainbow thing looks like a bright light source off camera, use a lens hood, this should help, if you're already using one some sort of shield from the light (or moving the camera) would also help. Set the camera up in a different position and see if you move the rainbow, that'll confirm it's a light source.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 27-07-2013, 02:08 PM
bpwalker18 (Brendan)

thanks heaps guys will try tonight.