Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-08-2020, 10:54 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Budget Bench Drill

Wasn't sure where to put this so, decided General Chat was the safest:

I'm considering a bench drill for a timber project; I need to drill some 25mm diameter holes through 19mm Iron Bark...

Now, I've done a test drill on some ironbark & my cordless does the job but, not as precisely as I would like..

I do have other uses for the Bench drill so, it's not just for a one off project but, don't want to spend a fortune either...

The spectrum so far ranges from an Ozito at $115 to a Bosch at $399; there are a number in between: Ryobi, Renegade, Detroit, etc...

I need it to be fairly precise, otherwise I'll just do it by hand... does anyone have any experience (good/bad/indifferent) with a budget Bench drill that they could share with me please?

Cheers
Old 13-08-2020, 12:39 PM
raymo

All the budget pedestal drills will do what you need. I have had my $99 GMC
for about 12 yrs, still going strong. I have several Ozito hand tools, damn good value for money.
raymo
Old 13-08-2020, 12:42 PM
PCH (Paul)

I agree with Raymo. I’ve had plenty of ozito stuff and the 5 year replacement warranty is hard to beat. With the drill press, quality drill bits will make the difference as I’m sure you know. I’m about to nip out and grab an ozito multi tool skin only for a miserly $69! Amazing value
Old 13-08-2020, 12:59 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

+1 I picked one up from total tool in Sydney for just under $100. They're good enough. You'll probably need to pull it apart, deburr and regrease where needed, align and probably square the motor and belts. But that's about it. They're simple devices. It's not a mill.
Old 13-08-2020, 01:12 PM
Gary47 (Gary)

I well remember getting my backside thoroughly kicked for destroying a very expensive saw blade trying to rip saw a piece of well cured Ironbark. Melted the teeth and left scorch marks in the wood which rendered it useless.
Old 13-08-2020, 01:22 PM
billdan (Bill)

I remember reading in one of the metalwork forums, buy a drill press with a rotatable work-plate. Your future self will thank you for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Radial-drill-press.jpg)
30.5 KB45 views
Old 13-08-2020, 02:48 PM
raymo

If you find that a pedestal drill with a rotating work plate is too expensive,
buy one with the conventional swivelling plate, and get one of the small
vices made to clamp onto the work plate. That arrangement will be o.k. for
anything you need to do.
raymo
Old 13-08-2020, 04:15 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
I remember reading in one of the metalwork forums, buy a drill press with a rotatable work-plate. Your future self will thank you for this.
Indeed.
Old 14-08-2020, 07:41 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

I have an old Ryobi that's done a lot of the work over the years and just still keeps going.

My only word of caution would be to make sure that whatever one you select, the chuck will actually hold the size of drill bit that you want to use. Not all of them go to 25mm (mine goes to 22mm).
Old 14-08-2020, 10:58 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Thankyou, all...I have a number of Ozito products, good bang for buck I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
All the budget pedestal drills will do what you need. I have had my $99 GMC
for about 12 yrs, still going strong. I have several Ozito hand tools, damn good value for money.
raymo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
I agree with Raymo. I’ve had plenty of ozito stuff and the 5 year replacement warranty is hard to beat. With the drill press, quality drill bits will make the difference as I’m sure you know. I’m about to nip out and grab an ozito multi tool skin only for a miserly $69! Amazing value
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
+1 I picked one up from total tool in Sydney for just under $100. They're good enough. You'll probably need to pull it apart, deburr and regrease where needed, align and probably square the motor and belts. But that's about it. They're simple devices. It's not a mill.
You over estimate my mechanical ability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
If you find that a pedestal drill with a rotating work plate is too expensive,
buy one with the conventional swivelling plate, and get one of the small
vices made to clamp onto the work plate. That arrangement will be o.k. for
anything you need to do.
raymo
Cheers, I'll keep both of these tips in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crater101 View Post
I have an old Ryobi that's done a lot of the work over the years and just still keeps going.

My only word of caution would be to make sure that whatever one you select, the chuck will actually hold the size of drill bit that you want to use. Not all of them go to 25mm (mine goes to 22mm).
I'll be using either auger or spade bit with narrow shank but, I will indeed consider chuck size in my deliberations, cheers
Old 14-08-2020, 12:26 PM
Huey (Michael)

Drill

Whatever you decide to get, make sure you have a key-less chuck to go with it. It makes life a lot easier especially if you have to change drill bit a couple of times.

Huey
Old 14-08-2020, 06:09 PM
dikman (Richard)

Regarding chucks, most will take either 12mm or 16mm bits. If you want to use larger drill bits (excluding spade bits) then they usually come as Morse taper bits that replace the chuck. I've had a largish drill press for probably 40 years and I don't understand how anyone can manage without one.
Old 15-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
Regarding chucks, most will take either 12mm or 16mm bits. If you want to use larger drill bits (excluding spade bits) then they usually come as Morse taper bits that replace the chuck.

This is true, but mine is like me - getting on in years - and the chuck can't be replaced easily. Not at my level of mechanical ability, anyway...