Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-07-2017, 05:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Dome or roll away shed?

As you probably know I purchased another 100 acres and have the perfect spot for the next observatory.

It may or may not happen at all but my legs really seem to have improved recently and the day must come when I can be up here full time once again.

Experience tells me one needs an observatory for astro photos and although I may go for a small simple set up deciding on the observatory is occupying much of my thought.
I am thinking I would like say 2 mtrs plus square or diameter.

If a dome I have a designed something using thin ply upon which I will layer up fibre glass.

I have the ply eighth of an inch and easy to work with.

From my boat days I feel my glassing skill is rather good and building a round dome does not worry me.
I have probably 6 ton of sandstone in a pile close to the site so the idea is stone walls say to shoulder night with the dome on top.

Should look nice.

But having had a small roll off shed set up I lean that way for ease of construction and once rolled away I liked being in the open.

I guess with a dome I could have a desk with the computer etc whereas my last set up that stuff was in the house (the shed was just outside and frankly the whole house was astronomy dedicated.

So maybe the dome would be best.

I expect the glass on a ruff costing not to exceed 3k and likely closer to 2k so building will be much cheaper than buying a dome.
I would rotate it manually I expect in an effort to minimise power use age and have less things to worry about.

Or I could do a shed and I have all the framing in a pile next to the rock.
Say 2.5 mtrs shed or dome?

I feel the shed may work better and really wonder what I may gain if I go for a dome.
Appearances don't worry me but the dome would look rather nice.
I need all new scopes and probably go for a new mount but I do like what you can get in a 12 inch...
But for simplicity probably won't use a dedicated astronomy camera.

And I used to be able to run my old mount, after some work on it, unguided ...I had a reticle to check things thru what was to become a guide scope but finding guide stars was a pain.
In other words exposure times and focal length will be determined by how good I can have the mount run unguided....at this stage ..I can go to auto guide latter but I got joy from making the mount run so well unguided.

I am trying to rebuild my enthusiasm to start again...but I don't want to get to complicated.
Still starting point do I start carrying rocks or framing to the site?
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 14-07-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 14-07-2017, 05:49 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Mmmm I am thinking 3 mtrs at least.
Alex
Old 14-07-2017, 06:03 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I don't know how far down it is to bed rock but its on a hill top so should not be to far.
Alex
Old 14-07-2017, 07:52 PM
leon

Alex although you might want the dome Observatory i recommend the roll off roof.
I have had two in my life and they just work beautifully, easy to construct, and if done right you are out in the elements in seconds
and guess what, no condensation to drip all over your stuff.

Well that is my two cents worth.

Leon
Old 14-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I suppose it largely depends on how much wind and frost you'll suffer from. What a dome offers is better projection in the wind and from frost/dew at the expertise of needing to motorise the dome if you don't want to do it manually.
Old 14-07-2017, 08:08 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Leon and thank you Colin.
Yes its all about dew and condensation.
Thank you both.
A prolonged wet was caused me to stop years ago.
Alex
Old 14-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

For a long time I was thinking about a dome up at Heathcote but I have more recently changed my mind and going to go ROR. It sometimes gets a little windy but not too bad, don't have too much of a dew issue there either.

Hill tops or large flat areas can be worse for wind or green areas for dew. Heathcote doesn't have. It has much of either hehe
Old 14-07-2017, 08:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

This property is 80% plantation timber, something exotic but as I didn't care about it I can't remember what it was. Had a logger guy here to deliver fire wood (coal to Newcastle really) but he didn't know what kind of trees are here...anyways the site is a hilltop clearing with tall trees all around except for the track and I have been there when the wind Genny at the house has been going and it is very sheltered.
I posted a photos last year that phone died along with my photos I get another if I have time.
So far it seems we are above the dense fog of a morning and although not as dark as my other place it is not bad.
I am sitting outside at the moment and can see a glow.to the North but real dark to the South.
Nice here
Alex
Old 14-07-2017, 09:13 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Wouldn't all that heavy sandstone in the walls keep and radiate too much heat for hours after sunset Alex?

(others here far more knowledgeable than moi)
Old 14-07-2017, 09:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Wouldn't all that heavy sandstone in the walls keep and radiate too much heat for hours after sunset Alex?

(others here far more knowledgeable than moi)
Yes that is a consideration.
I had a set up at the other place where I had sand stone wall up to about waist height ready for a dome which I never did build ..I used it for visual only.
I had coiled Polly pipe in the floor to heat or cool it but never did use it.
However it certainly did not seem to hold the heat in the winter.
I gave up on it because I had not taken the pier down to bedrock and to do that I would have had to go thru 2 foot of rock I put under the floor before I got to top soil. When I found bedrock only three foot down outside the front of the house I put a pier down there and build a two foot deep cement and rock patio around it for the roll off shed.
Alex
Old 15-07-2017, 01:12 AM
sharpiel

I think I read here a few years ago a post by Bassnut (Fred) that convection boundary layers at the dome entrance caused localised degradation of seeing enough to seriously limit astroimaging and that a roll off roof was a better option.
Old 15-07-2017, 08:01 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Les

The more I think about it the more I think that Rob is correct.

My problem arises from the fact that I have certain materials at hand, the stone, ply and framing, and so I start from there.

A small garden shed seems the best choice like a the set up at the other place.

The white ants destroyed the panelling in that one and someone has repurposed the shed ...but it worked well in its day.

Probably two sheds one for a roll away and the other for desk etc....or maybe I should forget the whole thing and take up fishing?

Anyway I think I am driven by impatience..what can I do now..oh move the stone..no better to wait.

Thanks to everyone.

I think you have all helped guide me and certainly helped focus and clear my thinking.

Alex
Old 15-07-2017, 09:06 AM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hi Les

....maybe I should forget the whole thing and take up fishing?
welcome back. Maybe build a greyhound track while you're motivated as well?

If I ever get the chance for an obs I think I'd move towards a roll off roof of some sort. I like the idea of being able to be with the night rather than closed away from it. The dome seems isolationist somehow...
Old 15-07-2017, 02:22 PM
leon

Spot on Les.

Leon
Old 15-07-2017, 04:23 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

One thing I've only begun to appreciate with the experience of seeing a number of obs is just how important a separate control/warm room is. Even with the beautiful weather we get in SE Qld/NE Nsw, there's not much fun getting nibbled by mossies, dewed on, or freezing your butt off at 1am in winter.

Definitely agree with thoughts around 2 compartments from early on Alex.
You can sit in the obs and enjoy the sky too if you want as per Les and Leon, but nice to have the computer gear and perhaps spot to sleep an hour or so nearby.
Old 15-07-2017, 04:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am thinking to get an old but functional caravan to take care of the "spare room".
After all everything is in a van, bed stove and lights.
Alex
Old 15-07-2017, 04:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have commissioned replacement of the solar panels at the house and so the old ones will be available...7 old 80 watt panels there were eight but one has a hole in it the size of a tennis ball...I don't know what could have done that.

Looking again today leaves me rather excited which is great cause I really need something to look forward to.
Alex
Old 15-07-2017, 04:37 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I am thinking to get an old but functional caravan to take care of the "spare room".
After all everything is in a van, bed stove and lights.
Alex
Old 15-07-2017, 09:11 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Hi Alex,
for some reason the 'diy obs' section has only 2 pages now ? Anyway, there was a thread on my recent (1.5yr ago build) which is a 'Roll-Away' scope keeper - small shed which has shelving inside & what-not,,, Plus there I put up a seperate, small garden-shed for the PC & gear room, , which is awesome with a kettle, small heater in the dead of winter etc !

As you have mentioned 'you liking the open space' I really enjoy it too, and this arrangement I have lets one enjoy the open sky to its full !
Not only that, but 'Rigging your scope, changing things etc etc is a god-send when the walls are 'not there to bump into, hit head on, awkward bending, getting gear in through a tiny door - this list goes on & on !!

And tho Not only these benefits, but also when have visitors, 'if you do' as I do from time to time - it is very spacious for peeps to squizz at & through the scope and gives a more personal connection to the heavens, for them & self !!

Have found some pics in my archives !
Obviously what one uses to build either as I have, is entirely upto them, materials, size etc etc

Just thought to mention this your way, as it covers all areas I think, A Three-Way Astro Area,
1) Have something to 'roll-away' Lol
2) Have a seperate 'Warm-Room'
& 3) Have open space
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (000W_ 069.jpg)
107.9 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (000W_070.jpg)
109.8 KB46 views
Old 15-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Hi Alex, after much deliberation the last few months whilst building up my new GEM, I've decided to go with a 3m dia obs, formed by 2 sheet high corrugated tank material surrounded by local rock, and the dome to be a 3mm ply trapezium. ROR's also have their benefits, and its really hard to make the decision! I think the main reason for my going for the trapezium dome is the challenge and the more unusual appearance. I'd even gone through the option of a "pop top" caravan, stripped out and the top modified to a clamshell, but now thats too small.