Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 27-03-2021, 05:47 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

So I guess you are not volunteering to make any contribution or organise something? Comments, opinions and criticism don't move the ball forward.
Old 27-03-2021, 06:19 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_4059 View Post
So I guess you are not volunteering to make any contribution or organise something? Comments, opinions and criticism don't move the ball forward.
Why would you guess that? Send me the link to the post where volunteers were requested?

Edit: Since you raised the question though, yes more than happy to help. Tony and committee what do you need doing? If I can help, I’m happy to do do. Who can tell me what needs to be done?

Last edited by OneCosmos; 27-03-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old 27-03-2021, 10:00 PM
glend (Glen)

Let this go, stop bashing the organisers of the real Astrofest. If they made a decision that's it. Same thing happened with the NSW Star Party, the committee said not this year.

Of course you are free to try and hold your own event, just don't call it Qld Astrofest.
Old 27-03-2021, 10:08 PM
firstlight (Tony)
You can't have everything

Hi everyone.

First off I want to apologize for being absent from the discussion. More on that later.

I am currently writing a novel for this thread - just wanted to give you a heads up so you know something is coming. This will be from me - I wont be speaking with the voice of the Queensland Astrofest but I will discuss many facets of the committee.

Thanks for your patience.

Tony
Old 27-03-2021, 10:08 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Let this go, stop bashing the organisers of the real Astrofest. If they made a decision that's it. Same thing happened with the NSW Star Party, the committee said not this year.

Of course you are free to try and hold your own event, just don't call it Qld Astrofest.
I haven’t and if that’s what you think you haven’t read anything I’ve written. I don’t care what the decision is I only suggested they might actually tell us what it is.
Old 27-03-2021, 11:01 PM
firstlight (Tony)
You can't have everything

Hi everyone,

I would first like to point out, as I did with Chris on the phone this afternoon, there has not been a "conspiracy of secrecy" on the part of the committee. The truth of the matter is that we have not been as active as we could have been. There are many reasons for this, but I will put my hand up and say I accept the bulk of blame.

Last year had blindsided us as we all know and I don't wish to indicate that has had any real bearing on the event planning this year, other than we are now living in a new paradigm regarding SARS-CoV-2, and the extra precautions and responsibilities we, as a committee, will bear.

So some of the issues that are on my/our mind regarding planning this year:

1. Procrastination on my part.

2. Our committee is a bit light on as SAS rep Colin had to resign due to health issues, Anne-Louise has also had to stand back due to health concerns. Losing Anne-Louise is a huge blow; as Registrar she did a mighty amount of work, and they are very large shoes to fill.

3. The changing guidelines on how groups can camp (not really an impact as Camp Duckadang already restricts us considerably), but more importantly how many people can occupy close quarters such as the cubicles in the bunkhouses. Our current thinking is that we can only have 2 persons in each cubicle or effectively halving the numbers in the bunkhouses.

As you are all aware (or maybe not?), the Queensland Astrofest is a club event organised by the local Astronomical Societies in South-East Queensland - Brisbane Astronomical Society (BAS), Southern Astronomical Society (SAS - no current rep), South East Queensland Astronomical Society (SEQAS), Amateur Telescope Makers of Queensland (ATMQ - no current rep), Star Gaysers (no current rep), Astronomical Association of Queensland (AAQ). Recently we have a representative from the Redlands Astronomical Society (RAS) join us. I mention this because due to restrictive numbers, and the interest I saw at a recent OGM for BAS, I believe that if the Astrofest were to go ahead it would only be offered to the members of the organising clubs, including those without current reps.

Many of those who attend the camp are club members or are lapsed club members. However many are not. This will present certain ethical issues, as I can’t say I can envisage Astrofest without Houghy and Alan, or Marc to name a few. So it will be a logistical nightmare which has honestly been interfering with my sleep. I have been contemplating a lottery, so yeah... another job to organise and execute.

This year was planned to be an earlier event, which meant that we will have the opportunity to view a bit different sky. I know Brendan was salivating at that and the fact that work, for once, wouldn’t interfere with his plans. This has its own problems as the date is looming.

4. SARS-Cov-2 is the other thing that I can’t get out of my head in the wee hours. We have had it so good in this state and this country due to level headed policies in the state governments, and the sensibility of the majority of the Australian people. With this in mind I am very cautious on what might transpire should some idiot, say, who is waiting for a test result and told to isolate but instead throws a party with 25 of his mates... I know this is an edge case, but who knows if there is a super=spreader event around the corner and we become subject to a Victorian-style lockdown. Don’t get me wrong – I would totally support a lockdown, but I would hate to put in the work for nothing.

Chris pointed out that the Stafford cluster only emerged in the last few days, so why have we not been communicating? All I can do is point to Item 1 on my list – speaking strictly for myself, I have been procrastinating, watching the news, and lying awake staring at the ceiling.

An official decision from the Committee will be coming down in the near future, but this is where I am standing.

Cheers
Tony
Old 27-03-2021, 11:22 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Thank you Tony I understand all the points you raised and appreciate it hasn’t been so easy. This communication is all I was seeking. I know there are lots of good reasons to not run the event this year and now we know.
Chris
Old 13-04-2021, 06:07 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Queensland Astrofest 2021 Cancelled!

It is with great regret that the Queensland Astrofest Organising Committee (QAOC) announce the cancellation of the 2021 Queensland Astrofest. There are a number of reasons leading to this decision, among which are ongoing uncertainty surrounding health risks associated with SARS-CoV2, and financial viability due to reduced numbers due to safety concerns.

It is the hope of the QAOC that many of the concerns leading to the cancellation this year’s event will be addressed in 2022. The dates for the 2022 Queensland Astrofest (QA28) are 22 to 31 July 2022.

--

Posted on behalf of the QAOC by the QAF Webmaster David O'Driscoll.
This notice is also posted on the QAF website and the QAF FB page.
Old 13-04-2021, 06:38 PM
h0ughy (David)

So I steal your photons next year
Old 13-04-2021, 06:45 PM
DaveO (David)
In Search of Photons

Thoughts on this thread

Hi all

WARNING - this is a long rambling post. Those who are sqeamish or get carsick should probably leave now.

You will have seen the notice that I just posted on behalf of the Queensland Astrofest Organising Committee (QAOC) regarding the cancellation of Qld Astrofest this year. This will come as no surprise given the recent conversations. I made the offer to the QAOC to post here (and FB) when I updated the website (which I manage).

Note that I am not a member of the QAOC, although I have been in the past, and my work managing the website for many years now means I sometimes have some visibility of what is happening within the Committee. Noting this, the following comments are mine alone and do not represent the views of the QAOC in any way. After reading the discussion, I feel compelled to make some observations.

Firstly I would like to say that it has obviously been a very hard decision (even harder than last year), made harder by personal challenges several on the Committee have had recently. We should all remember that these people are volunteers, who have lives outside QAF (and indeed astronomy). Sometimes those lives proceed along nicely, and sometimes life throws challenges that those at a distance are unaware of.

The reduction in numbers on the Committee seems to me to be a real challenge. There is an obvious demand for this event within the community, and yet it is always challenging to find Club members to join the Committee, do the hard yards and create an event in a climate that is increasingly regulated. And there are many in the wider community who are not club members (or at least not from SEQ) who have no official channel to join the Committee (given it is operated under the auspices of the SEQ Clubs).

Of course the work doesn't stop with just organising the event - that's when the work really starts! And while many offer their assistance during the event, there is always more work to be done than volunteers to do it. And thus it seems to fall back onto the (increasingly smaller) Committee.

While I have for a number of years now been unable to attend the event due to work commitments (except the final Saturday if I'm lucky), I maintain the website because its a job that needs to be done and I have the ability to do it.

There are many in this thread who made very supportive comments. For that I thank you - the QAOC needs all the support it can get (physical and moral).

If the community wants the event to continue, then there are a number of obvious paths for getting involved:
  • If you are a member of a SEQ club, offer to join the QAOC! More than one member per club is possible (and would be most welcome I suspect!!)
  • If you are not a member of a Club, perhaps you might consider joining one???
  • Even if you are not a Club member, I suspect the option to get more involved in the QAOC or the event is still achievable!

A strong QAOC is always going to be in a better position to deal with issues such as the current pandemic, keeping people updated and have the capacity to deal with the challenges life throws at individuals who might be on the committee (although they may still have trouble organising the event during a pandemic!).

This has been a long post, and if you got to this stage, then bravo!

This has not been intended to be a jibe at anybody - that's pointless. I just wanted to give voice to some of the things the QAOC probably wouldn't say, because they are nice people.

Let's all hope that life gets a little less hectic for everybody and we can have a "normal" event next year.
Old 13-04-2021, 07:54 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

From a purely organisational point of view, it is about time that QAF was incorporated and that only members of QAF Inc were allowed to attend and be elected to the committee. There is an amazing energy in Qld for astronomy, but the current system is letting everyone down.

When I was Chairman of QAF, it was evident that the societies themselves showed zero or less interest in its running and as you say, it was down to a handful of club reps willing to put a few hours in. The faithful have pushed this fest uphill for years and it comes as no surprise that the event has collapsed in a heap of apathy.

Diane, John, Bob, Wendy, Anne-louise, Tony (in order of aperture!) and several others deserve our help and a round of applause.

Don't cancel AF. Make it happen.
Old 13-04-2021, 08:23 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post
The faithful have pushed this fest uphill for years and it comes as no surprise that the event has collapsed in a heap of apathy
Jonathan,

I'd expect managing an event with the normal 100+ people during a global pandemic would be a more significant consideration for the committee. Social distancing in the bunk rooms would not permit the normal numbers to attend and this would make covering the cost for Duckadang impossible without increasing the nightly cost (perhaps double). Insurance is probably unobtainable.

Putting it down to apathy doesn't seem fair.
Old 13-04-2021, 08:42 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

IIRC the only thing causing QAF to not turn a profit without sponsors is fridge hire
Old 13-04-2021, 08:45 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

On the other hand it isn’t unreasonable to imagine that apathy really did play a part. Why should that suggestion be entirely dismissed? The evidence indicates it may indeed have played a part. It is both human and understandable and believable. I spoke with a few committee members recently and they all said that they couldn’t even get a response trying to communicate with other committee members. Multiple people said it was impossible to even get a meeting of the committee to discuss what was happening.

Covid has no doubt played a part but it isn’t the whole story. Never once have I complained that Astrofest couldn’t happen. I’m not stupid, I know there is a pandemic and that changed things a lot. What did frustrate me was why it was assumed the best approach was just to say nothing and tell nobody anything about what was going on. A notice could have been posted 3 months ago saying we’re trying snd we’re hopeful but please understand it may not be able to happen.
Old 13-04-2021, 09:02 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Htwfaip
Old 13-04-2021, 09:21 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Htwfaip
I certainly tried to be polite and respectful as well as to acknowledge my gratitude for all the hard work that goes in to AF, but surely it is allowable to be critical if cogent reasons are cited?
Old 13-04-2021, 09:32 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
I certainly tried to be polite and respectful as well as to acknowledge my gratitude for all the hard work that goes in to AF, but surely it is allowable to be critical if cogent reasons are cited?
The success of that strategy will surely become obvious in time.
Old 13-04-2021, 10:26 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
The success of that strategy will surely become obvious in time.
I’m here to help Pete
Old 14-04-2021, 07:51 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
I’m here to help Pete
Good to hear Chris.
Helping = on the field
Observing, commenting, criticizing = in the stands

People on the field make things happen
People in the stands watch things happen
Old 14-04-2021, 12:02 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Good to hear Chris.
Helping = on the field
Observing, commenting, criticizing = in the stands

People on the field make things happen
People in the stands watch things happen
When people on the field are overstretched they need to ask other people to join them on the field. Nobody can be blamed for not helping when help wasn’t asked for.

PS I said it before and I’ll say again. I am more than happy to give up my personal time to help and not in any way trying to be difficult but life is just too short to not speak up. Astrofest has probably been more important to me in the last 11 years than anything else I have done so I feel a great disappointment that it seems to be on life support. I hope it pulls through.
Closed Thread