Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-08-2020, 04:16 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Mars 14/8

Got up at 5:30 this morning for a look, and surprise I could actually see stars not clouds. Well some clouds but not many. But it was very windy, too windy, but I wanted to have a go anyway. Did one vid and the wind was buffeting the scope a lot, sometimes it would shake mars right off the camera and would have been ruining a lot of frames. But apart from that it wasn't too bad. Got a big piece of cardboard to block the wind a bit and that helped. Couple of changes: was running the 3x barlow out about 14mm to get very close to optimal focal ratio. Also stacked with Autostakkert 3.1, have been using AS!2. Left for work at 7 and the wind had dropped right off but there was 100% cloud cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (004_pipp_lapl5_ap61.bmp)
180.2 KB85 views
Old 23-08-2020, 02:38 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Mars this morning, 23/8. Slightly bigger and even less ice than 9 days ago. Hardly any ice at all now. Anyone know when the ice will start to come back again? Was hoping there would be some in time for opposition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (004_pipp_lapl5_ap77 - Copy (2).bmp)
180.2 KB43 views
Old 23-08-2020, 03:30 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Nice images, but I reckon you could sharpen a bit more to get a bit more contrast in those images.

I think a lot of the ice that's left is on the other side of the planet right now. Since the rotation time is similar to that of Earth's we get different sides to those in the US, here's an example of what they can see (albeit with a 14" SCT ).

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...ars-august-21/

Andrew
Old 23-08-2020, 07:32 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Thanks Andrew, I'll have a go with more sharpening, but sometimes it seems to distort the edge and ice cap even though it improves the darker features. Maybe what it needs is to somehow combine 2 images- one with the sharper edge and then somehow overlay the darker features over the top!
You're probably right, the ice could be on the other side. I guess with the similar rotation times, if you film at the same time each morning you'd be getting the same side again. Only way would be to vary the time a bit or wait for a few weeks.
That Mars pic in your link is incredible. The best planet pics I've seen all seem to be coming from C14's, 11's and 9.25's and I realize I won't be able to get that with my equipment. But they do cost more too so they'd want to be better.
If we're looking at the other side with no ice there's really nothing you can do about it, just hope it comes back. Probably depends on what season it is on Mars at the time of opposition.
Old 24-08-2020, 09:41 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quopaz View Post
That Mars pic in your link is incredible. The best planet pics I've seen all seem to be coming from C14's, 11's and 9.25's and I realize I won't be able to get that with my equipment. But they do cost more too so they'd want to be better.
Aperture is king for planetary, the bigger the mirror, the greater the resolution. Although a nice big Goto Dob would also work, assuming I could find somewhere to store it
https://www.opticscentral.com.au/sky...U#.X0L-k8gzbMU
Old 25-08-2020, 07:09 AM
Quopaz (Nick)

That 16 inch dob looks good, kind of wish I got one of them now. But from the research I did at the time, it wasn't really recommended as a first scope. I was actually considering a 6" or 8", and ended up getting the 10". Weight wise the 10" isn't too bad, and I can easily move it in and out strapped to a sack truck, with only a short lift up onto the block. Would like to see some planet pics taken with the 16", but I can't find any. Yet there are plenty of good C14 pics around.
Just finished a good little Mars session this morning. Seeing was pretty good, much better than the last image above. Although the sky was starting to get blue, but I don't think that will matter.
I could be wrong, but when filming it looked like there was ice starting to form on the other pole. Could still see some white on the south pole too. Will have to see how the pics turn out after I process them, have to go and work all day now.
Old 25-08-2020, 11:10 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Early morning Mars sessions are a killer - about the only good thing about lockdown in Melbourne is that we are forced to work from home, so the morning commute is not happening. Having said that, I haven't been out for about a month, the weather has been awful.
Old 25-08-2020, 09:52 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

There's a bit better weather coming through SA now, so hopefully you get it in Melbourne soon too. We've had 5 inches of rain in the last 2 weeks, so not many good nights here lately either. This one from this morning:
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (005_pipp_lapl5_ap73_conv - Copy.bmp)
180.2 KB6 views