Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 30-07-2020, 11:40 AM
Hemi

Sky safari 6 pro SynScan link

Hi all,

I’m not sure if everyone’s aware of a small update I noticed in SS6 pro.

A little while back to get a sky watcher WiFi mount (or SW WiFi dongle) working in sky safari, you needed two iOS devices. One running the SynScan app, and the other running the Sky safari app. They talked to each other. Annoying!

Now in telescope setup (sky safari) there is another option called SynScan link. If you select this it boots up the SynScan app in the same device. You set up things here (connect) and then it gets you back to the sky safari app. Small update but hugely convenient.

Sorry if it’s old news.

Hemi
Old 05-09-2020, 08:48 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

It's a pity they haven't introduced it for Android devices yet, it would be so convenient.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Mark
I Like globs.

I saw that, but thought it was to use with the SynScanLink app. Anyhoo, tested it this afternoon and seemed to work.

I'm not convinced it will stay connected, iOS not being a true multitasking OS. Further testing required.

@gaseous, you can already use it with Android devices. Just set the IP address in SkySafari to 127.0.0.1, port 11882. Start the Synscan app, connect, then open SkySafari and connect. Simples!
Old 05-09-2020, 06:39 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I saw that, but thought it was to use with the SynScanLink app. Anyhoo, tested it this afternoon and seemed to work.

I'm not convinced it will stay connected, iOS not being a true multitasking OS. Further testing required.

@gaseous, you can already use it with Android devices. Just set the IP address in SkySafari to 127.0.0.1, port 11882. Start the Synscan app, connect, then open SkySafari and connect. Simples!
I've had little to no success using both apps on the same device, I always need to have synscan open on the phone and skysafari on the tablet. I'll give it another crack though, cheers.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:01 PM
Mark
I Like globs.

I was thinking I might try SkySafari SynScanLink on my iOS device. Then changed my mind. I have found that the Android version of SynScan Pro disconnects when in the background after about 10 minutes. SkySafari burbles to tell you it's disconnected.

However, I find the iOS version of SynScan Pro simply doesn't work. It will either slew to a completely wrong part of the sky, or will keep slewing after you take your finger off the the "button". Or performing a 2 Star Alignment is beyond it's ken. Or objects disappear from the catalog. Apparently Jupiter stopped existing during the week.

The Android version works when it's connected. Humph.

I miss my LX-90. The Autostar just worked. Never had a problem with it. The V3 SynScan Handset is better than the WiFi dongle as far as stability, but is far clunkier to use. I seem to spend more time fiddling with gizmos and trying to get the mount aligned than I do observing.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

You certainly seem to have a gremlin in the system Mark.
I have been using the SynScan Pro app on iOS devices for some time without drama. It has been rock solid and reliable. I have mostly run SynScan Pro on my iPhone and SkySafari on my iPad. Both work well.
I am not sure what to suggest. Having just moved house my gear is in boxes and I have not had a chance to try the new SynScanLink.

Quote:
I was thinking I might try SkySafari SynScanLink on my iOS device. Then changed my mind. I have found that the Android version of SynScan Pro disconnects when in the background after about 10 minutes. SkySafari burbles to tell you it's disconnected.

However, I find the iOS version of SynScan Pro simply doesn't work. It will either slew to a completely wrong part of the sky, or will keep slewing after you take your finger off the the "button". Or performing a 2 Star Alignment is beyond it's ken. Or objects disappear from the catalog. Apparently Jupiter stopped existing during the week.

I miss my LX-90. The Autostar just worked. Never had a problem with it. The V3 SynScan Handset is better than the WiFi dongle as far as stability, but is far clunkier to use. I seem to spend more time fiddling with gizmos and trying to get the mount aligned than I do observing.
Old 13-09-2020, 04:54 AM
Malcolm

Prevent disconnection by setting display to never sleep, and turning off mobile data.
Old 13-09-2020, 08:14 AM
Mark
I Like globs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Prevent disconnection by setting display to never sleep, and turning off mobile data.

Unfortunately, it's not the display going to sleep. I can be using SkySafari when the SynScan app disconnects from the dongle. It's also a WiFi only tablet.

As for iOS, I've only tried the SynScan app on my iPhone. I might test SynScanLink on my iPad.
Old 13-09-2020, 09:32 AM
miker

Mark, you mention a problem with trying to do two star alignment. Are you doing the two star alignment using the hand controller and then hooking up/switching over to the skywatcher dongle? I have an AZ-EQ6 and that is how I have to set up.
I use the Skyfi3 dongle and Skysafari6 Pro with my iPad but have to do the two star alignment using the Skywatcher hand controller first and then plug in the dongle. After that I can control the mount with either the hand controller or Skysafari on the iPad.

Michael
Old 13-09-2020, 10:34 AM
Mark
I Like globs.

Michael, thanks. No, I use the Skywatcher SynScan dongle exclusively. Original EQ6.

I have found that alignments, and general functionality, work great with the Android version of the SynScan app. However, when it's in the background while using SkySafari, it disconnects from the dongle after a while.

The iOS version of the SynScan app is unpredictable, often slews uncontrollably, can't perform an alignment, and objects disappear from the catalogue. This is using an iPhone 11.

I tested the SynScanLink function with SkySafari on my iPad this morning. It was still connected and would control the EQ6 after 50 minutes without any user input in between. That is a very good result. I now need to test the SynScan app functionality on my iPad as well.
Old 14-09-2020, 08:00 AM
miker

Ok, I have not used the Synscan app. Hope you get it sorted.

Michael.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:50 AM
denodan (Dennis)

Quote:

Why you have a disconnection issue is you got to turn off
battery optimizing on Android, when using skysafari, synscan app or any other app you wish to use besides these. Need to go into battery optimization settings on phone