Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 13-01-2021, 01:43 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Looking to upgrade my mount

Hi all,

I was out imaging last night and was having no end of problems with my SW AZEQ6 Pro. From stiff clutches making balancing & PA a nightmare, to erratic guiding, I've had enough.

So I'm in the market for a new mount. My requirements are as follows:
- I'm looking to spend up to $5K (less would be better)
- Would need a similar payload capacity to my current mount (approx (20kg)
- Nice smooth clutches so balancing and PA is easier
- Very accurate and smooth guiding (I know this is dependant on a lot of things)
- Obviously a goto

I've looked at a few from Celestron and iOptron, but would like to know what people think of these and other brands (Avalon, 10Micron etc).

Rene
Old 13-01-2021, 02:49 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Sounds like your mount needs a little cleaning and tweaking. Before writing it off I'd try to look into this first. I've seen EQ6 mounts with terrific guiding.
Old 13-01-2021, 03:00 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Sounds like your mount needs a little cleaning and tweaking. Before writing it off I'd try to look into this first. I've seen EQ6 mounts with terrific guiding.
Yeah I was thinking of taking it in to Bintel to have it serviced. Maybe I'll do that before dropping thousands on a new mount.

Would still like to hear what people recommend for a new mount.........just in case.

Rene
Old 14-01-2021, 12:09 PM
TrevorW

Have the mount hypertuned seen some really good tracking from Skywatcher mounts that have been
Old 14-01-2021, 01:43 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I’ve have 2 x EQ6-R mounts ( 2018 model and 2019 model with USB port ) and they perform really , track and guide beautifully
One carries 9kg and the other carries nearly 15kg
They have been the fastest selling mount in its class and budget across the world in the past 18 months
I wish they would make a hypothetical EQ7- R mount capable of carrying 35kg , then I would stick a 10” newt on it , The EQ8-R pro is way to big and heavy for my needs
Old 14-01-2021, 01:56 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

So I went to Bintel and can't have it serviced until the first week of Feb as Don is snowed under at the moment. That's fine. I'll wait.

Until then I have another question. When I'm polar aligning and adjusting the altitude bolt, it is really stiff to turn which makes fine adjustments very hard (I end up over-shooting as I need to apply additional force). When I take the load off the bolt moves smoothly. I weighed my scope and it comes in at 12kg, well inside the upper load limit of the mount which is 20kg.

Could I apply some lubricant to aid in making it easier to turn?

Rene
Old 14-01-2021, 01:58 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
I wish they would make a hypothetical EQ7- R mount capable of carrying 35kg , then I would stick a 10” newt on it , The EQ8-R pro is way to big and heavy for my needs
I wish they would make a mount that would auto-level, auto polar align & know exactly where it is.
Old 14-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
I wish they would make a mount that would auto-level, auto polar align & know exactly where it is.
Auto level , auto polar align and know where it is ???
Do you set up and pack your mount away every session ??

Levelling takes 1 minute
Polar alignment takes 5 to 10 minutes ( I’ve had my mount set up in the yard for 6 weeks at a time ( I use a weather cover or cloak , once PA is done your aligned until you pack it up , unless someone’s bumps the tripod )
Mount should know exactly where it is during your sessions if your controlling it through either the Synscan HC, EQMOD and a planetarium like Stellarium ( Skywatcher mounts only )
Old 14-01-2021, 06:26 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Are you loosening off the opposing bolt enough when tightening.? Just asking. Also when you are raising the altitude you are lifting the weight of the assembly and so you can assist by taking some of the weight off with the other hand.

I can’t see what would be wrong with some very light lubrication on the bolts.

Quote:
So I went to Bintel and can't have it serviced until the first week of Feb as Don is snowed under at the moment. That's fine. I'll wait.

Until then I have another question. When I'm polar aligning and adjusting the altitude bolt, it is really stiff to turn which makes fine adjustments very hard (I end up over-shooting as I need to apply additional force). When I take the load off the bolt moves smoothly. I weighed my scope and it comes in at 12kg, well inside the upper load limit of the mount which is 20kg.

Rene
Old 14-01-2021, 06:46 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Auto level , auto polar align and know where it is ???
Do you set up and pack your mount away every session ??

Levelling takes 1 minute
Polar alignment takes 5 to 10 minutes ( I’ve had my mount set up in the yard for 6 weeks at a time ( I use a weather cover or cloak , once PA is done your aligned until you pack it up , unless someone’s bumps the tripod )
Mount should know exactly where it is during your sessions if your controlling it through either the Synscan HC, EQMOD and a planetarium like Stellarium ( Skywatcher mounts only )
Yeah I have to tear down after every imaging session depending on the weather. I setup right by the front steps so it can be a trip hazard which is why I don’t leave it for long. I have a location for a pier but that is a few months away.
Old 14-01-2021, 06:47 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Are you loosening off the opposing bolt enough when tightening.? Just asking. Also when you are raising the altitude you are lifting the weight of the assembly and so you can assist by taking some of the weight off with the other hand.

I can’t see what would be wrong with some very light lubrication on the bolts.
Yeah I am. I don’t lift any weight off. Where would I do that? From the counterweight side or the opposite?

I’ve got some hi grade lubricant which I will use sparingly.

Rene
Old 14-01-2021, 06:54 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

I think if you are raising the altitude when pointing south for alignment you are lifting the counterweights so you could assist there or take some weight off temporarily.
Old 14-01-2021, 06:55 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
I think if you are raising the altitude when pointing south for alignment you are lifting the counterweights so you could assist there or take some weight off temporarily.
Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

Rene
Old 14-01-2021, 06:58 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Maybe the lubricant could go on a part of the bolt that is always inside the mount so it does not end up on your hands and get every where. Or even just take the weights off and run the bolts in and out a few times to see if they loosen up.
Old 14-01-2021, 07:11 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:

Rene
I use lithium grease spray from Bunnings to lubricant every bolt on the mount including the base of the mount head and saddle
Been doing that for years
It does help your AZ and Alt bolts for polar alignment
Old 14-01-2021, 07:11 PM
RyanJones

Hi Rene,

I could write a long speel about what I did to my HEQ5 to make it work as well as it does but I won’t fill the post suffice to say they are mass made and with a bit of work can be refined. The quick one referring to your alt bolts being stiff. I use engine assembly lube on the thread and on the top of the bolts and they are a dream to use now. Better than I expected to be honest. Give that a go

Cheers

Ryan
Old 14-01-2021, 07:50 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Hi Rene,

I could write a long speel about what I did to my HEQ5 to make it work as well as it does but I won’t fill the post suffice to say they are mass made and with a bit of work can be refined. The quick one referring to your alt bolts being stiff. I use engine assembly lube on the thread and on the top of the bolts and they are a dream to use now. Better than I expected to be honest. Give that a go

Cheers

Ryan
Thanks for the advice

I’ve got some WD40 Silicone Lubricant that I’ll be using. I double checked and it’s not the standard WD40 which is a degreaser.
Old 14-01-2021, 07:59 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Thanks for the advice

I’ve got some WD40 Silicone Lubricant that I’ll be using. I double checked and it’s not the standard WD40 which is a degreaser.
You may find the silicon lubricant will “ split “ over time but it will certainly work, just may need topping up more often. Ideally you just need a thick and sticky lubricant. Grease works well because of its ability to withstand load. For future reference, normal WD40 is actually a water dispersant rather than a degreaser hence the WD .
Old 14-01-2021, 08:01 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
You may find the silicon lubricant will “ split “ over time but it will certainly work, just may need topping up more often. Ideally you just need a thick and sticky lubricant. Grease works well because of its ability to withstand load. For future reference, normal WD40 is actually a water dispersant rather than a degreaser hence the WD .
Well there you go. Learnt something new.

I’ll try the WD40 and see how it goes. If it doesn’t work I can try the grease.
Old 14-01-2021, 09:07 PM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

Quote:
Until then I have another question. When I'm polar aligning and adjusting the altitude bolt, it is really stiff to turn which makes fine adjustments very hard (I end up over-shooting as I need to apply additional force).
Rene

Grease it up Rene.... I have a Saxon NEQ6 Pro (older model) and when I got it I could barely move the altitude bolts. Some grease (moly as I had some) and it's not butter smooth by any means but it is a lot easier and makes aligning less of a chore. WD will work for 10 minutes then it'll time for more, I'd suggest just going straight to grease.

Also, a stock mount can get between .6-.8 RMS error consistently (conditions permitting), if I can do it anyone can. Keep up with the mount, they are pretty good and should easily do what you want.