Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 15-11-2016, 03:07 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool Super Moon Lunatic Party in New York, USA

Nov 13, 2016 - Super Moon party* 6:30 pm
My club is setting up for a Super Moon event Monday Night at one of the state parks where you need a permit to be there after dark.* I have that permit but**I won't be attending.**
I organized my own super moon event Sunday night at a park close to my house*and invited my newbie friends as well as the astronomy club.** Two of the club members came but 6 newbies showed up too.**
First*we set up a snack table.* After all this was a Lunatic party.* Dipsy Doodles, Lime Tostidos, Potato chips, pringles, salsa, spinich dip, cookies, pretzels, soda.** No one went hungry.
2 guys brought 8X40s and one 10X50.**
I handed out 2 10X50s a 7x35 and people were sharing my 15X70 on a monopod.
Everyone looked at the moon but, as we all know, full moon is not the best time to view the moon.* And, it was so bright that looking at it with binoculars, especially*the 15X70s, was hard.* So lunar viewing was reserved for later on the telescope.
We spent most of the time going through my star hopping exercises for new binocular users.** For some this was the first time they had done this and for some this was a chance to reinforce what they had done but did not remember.** Everyone seemed to enjoy finding the Summer Triangle, the Northern Cross, the coat hanger, splitting Mizar and Alcor, the Pleiades, Mel 20, and the Hyades cluster.** M31 was too washed out to find and Orion did not rise till we are packing up.
My ETX 80 was the only telescope that was set-up.**We went to the scope around*7:45 pm.*When I set up the telescope we split Albireo, then went to the moon.**Everyone tried it at 16X and then zoomed to 50X.* Then I added a 3X barlow and we had 48 to 150X with the zoom.** A 25% moon filter had to be used as it was way too bright without.
I then added my Revolution Imager R2 to the scope and we viewed the video screen.* I was experimenting with a focal reducer but could not get it to focus with that attached.** Still learning this system and how it works best.*
Around 8 pm I called for a pause and we all howled at the moon.*** No werewolves responded so we were OK.
Most of the night was a binocular party.** Overall, we had a great time.**

Edit: I don't know why I get the *. I write this in my e-mail editor then copy it here and these * show up. Sorry about that.
Old 15-11-2016, 10:28 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Ed,

Great stuff mate

I love the howling bit, great twist on things

Lovely way to bring people together. Really, really well done

I took my family to the local beach which faces east and waited for the Moon rise along with hundreds of other people. I was really surprised at the amount of people who turned up, and traffic was at a standstill! I remarked to my wife that the Moon hasn't had this much attention since 1969!

The Moon for us rose behind some clouds along the horizon so no one was too sure exactly where along the horizon she would appear. She made her appearance in a very subdued way, taking a keen eye first spot her from the shadows and cloud. She was in full view but no one noticed as there was so little contrast to distinguish her - until yours truly did . And then the crowd responded in a surge of excitement. Quite a thrill!

Really a lovely human collective experience

Alex