Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-12-2020, 02:17 PM
glend (Glen)

Be Aware of Cyclop Optics QHY Sale

Recently Cyclops Optics, in Hong Kong, has been promoting a special price on the QHY294C camera, this was sent out in an email to customers on their database, and you can see it on their website as well. No where did they actually say they don't actually have any stock. I only found out after I had purchased one of these cameras, that what they were doing is "Accepting Orders", paid for in advance. I have no issue with pre-order but I do object to being misled and paying up front for an item for which they can provide no delivery date.

Last edited by glend; 18-12-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 18-12-2020, 05:11 PM
Sitt (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Recently Cyclops Optics, in Hong Kong, has been promoting a special price on the QHY294C camera, this was sent out in an email to customers on their database, and you can see it on their website as well. No where did they actually say they don't actually have any stock. I only found out after I had purchased one of these cameras, that what they were doing is "Accepting Orders", paid for in advance. I have no issue with pre-order but I do object to being misled and paying up front for an item for which they can provide no delivery date.
Why run a business down like you are simply because you didn't read the Cyclops website? Look at the site it clearly states that they are Accepting Orders for the QHY 294C. Why didn't you email to confirm before you purchased - stock is in short demand everywhere... Just to add, I've always had great service from Robin with great communiction
https://www.cyclopsoptics.com/qhyccd...-free-lenspen/

Last edited by Sitt; 18-12-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 18-12-2020, 05:36 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitt View Post
Do you think its fine to run a business down like you are simply because you didn't read the Cyclops website? Look at the site it clearly states that they are Accepting Orders for the QHY 294C. Why didn't you email to confirm before you purchased - stock is in short demand everywhere...
https://www.cyclopsoptics.com/qhyccd...-free-lenspen/
Simon, as I said, their Year End Sale email to me (a former customer) did not indicate these were not in stock, and the main webpage where they appear, along with other QHY cameras in the End of Year Sale also does not mention they are not in stock. It is only when you scroll down on the third page do you see the comment accepting orders (which is not a clear indicator of no stock in my opinion).
So to me, it seems purposely vague.
Then my attempts to clarify the actual stock situation via email were ignored, I have three emails to them and one direct to Robin, all seeking clarification. Finally today, Robin replied to say that they expected it would be mid January.
I have taken steps to try to clarify what I regard as a vague End of Year Sale. Why not just call it a Pre-Sale upfront?
Lost in Translation perhaps, but as a past and current customer, I am entitled to my opinion.
Old 18-12-2020, 05:37 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post

Well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (q.jpg)
178.4 KB250 views
Old 18-12-2020, 05:56 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Well...
Well... Lewis, I still believe it is purposely vague, given the email I received. Available to order, to me will always mean Available (That can mean in stock, drop shipped, etc). If it was not available why not say Backordered, or identify it as a Pre-Sale.

Last edited by glend; 18-12-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 18-12-2020, 06:27 PM
gregbradley

I have just bought 2 cameras from Cyclops. One arrived the other expected Monday.

The QHY600m was preordered and paid in full. I knew it was a preorder as it said stock was accepting preorders and I also emailed asking specifically what the stock situation and lead time will be. Sometimes Robin took 2 days to reply but usually Robin replied quickly. Stock levels on a lot of these cameras have been low anywhere. The QHY600m I ordered early Oct and its arriving Monday as a guide. The 294 was paid for even earlier and I only just got it.

So as far as them being reliable I think they are. As far as the site being misleading perhaps not so much as the stock situation is clearly marked much the same as the ZWO ASI site lists stock levels. That type of stock level description of accepting orders is common with other suppliers as well.

Greg.
Old 18-12-2020, 07:38 PM
N1 (Mirko)

"Accepting orders now" does not necessarily mean not in stock.
"Not in stock" means not in stock, especially when you have an international audience.
And if the former's meaning has somehow expanded to include the latter, it's because of too much wishy-washy lingo being used in general for these things. And for that reason I would have been dubious myself too, and double-checked.
That said, if Robin's as great as some say, then a refund should present no problem.
Old 19-12-2020, 01:19 PM
gregbradley

Agree, the term "accepting orders" is not very clear. In my case as I had been following the market and supply of these types of cameras I knew that most places did not have stock and that when they got some in the cameras went fast.

So I sent an email clarifying if they had it in stock and what the lead time was.

The QHY294M was ordered late Sept for a mid Oct expected time for it to be in stock at Cyclops and I received it 2 days ago. So there is a considerable lead time on the more popular cameras. Shipping took about 10 days via DHL who collect the GST.

Greg.
Old 24-12-2020, 03:45 PM
TrevorW

I purchased one knowing that in the case of how Robin advertises accepting orders now means not in stock - although I would have preferred if it actually did say not in stock accepting orders now
Old 24-12-2020, 07:09 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
"Accepting orders now" does not necessarily mean not in stock.
"Not in stock" means not in stock, especially when you have an international audience.
And if the former's meaning has somehow expanded to include the latter, it's because of too much wishy-washy lingo being used in general for these things. And for that reason I would have been dubious myself too, and double-checked.
That said, if Robin's as great as some say, then a refund should present no problem.
you should call a spade a spade not some other tangential thing that ends up getting someone’s hard earned for a few months before you get the item bad business in my book
Old 24-12-2020, 07:57 PM
TrevorW

Robin even offered me the option to only pay a 25% deposit subject to order being filled, if you check you'll note the fund deduction from you account is only pending, if you want to cancel the order he will but may be to late now as closing for Xmas New year holidays - I think your account isn't actually debited until 5 days after the order placed anyhow
Old 12-01-2021, 04:50 PM
glend (Glen)

Just a final update on the outcome. I managed to get Robin to cancel the "order" in the first week of January.
Since then I have acquired a 294MC (uncooled) from TS (which was in stock) and it was delivered today. As this is intended to be a EAA camera, live stacking for visual use, cooling was not that important.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:33 PM
TrevorW

At nearly a grand cheaper buying from Robin that buying fromn a local supplier I was happy to pay up front, my camera is in transit via DHL now
Old 12-01-2021, 07:07 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

I also have put in a pre-order for the 268M camera plus CFW plus LRGB filter with Cyclops.
So far communication is great.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:05 PM
Astronut07 (Ben)

I have purchased multiple items from Cyclops Optics in the past 12 months & have never had any issues
I have purchased optolong filters, Pegasus astro focus cube v2 & Powerbox Advance & list goes on
Robin has always kept me updated & shipping has been extremely fast

I highly recommend cyclops optics
Old 05-04-2021, 07:49 PM
Wilsil (Wilco)

gear has arrived and they are good to deal with, a happy cosumer.