Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 20-02-2015, 01:29 PM
speach (Simon)

Difference between modded and unmodded

Just got a camera back after it being modded, this is the result of the 2 cameras. It was a very very quick processing. All the setting were the same to process the 2 images. Both images were taken last night. 30 x 45 sec dark and bias used no flats, 800 iso. The seeing had very slightly reduced on the unmodded, but it was enough not to effect in the final picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (m42 unmodded1.jpg)
124.8 KB113 views
Click for full-size image (M42modded1.jpg)
205.6 KB115 views
Old 20-02-2015, 01:33 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Great comparison Simon.
Old 20-02-2015, 01:52 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

What were the 2 cameras?
Old 20-02-2015, 02:12 PM
tilbrook@rbe.ne (Justin Tilbrook)
JHT

Hi Simon.

What camera's are you using.

Here's a link an image of M42 at iso 6400 just stacked in DSS no processing.
This is from an unmodded Canon 1100D.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=173318

Looks quite different to your first image.
It must be the difference between processing modded image versus unmodded.

Cheers,

Justin
Old 20-02-2015, 02:30 PM
PeterEde (Peter)
Prince Planet

Ok I'll p-lay devils advocate.
I have produced a very similar shot to your modded with an unmodded camera
Old 20-02-2015, 03:17 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

I've never seen an image of M42 " that blue " , with a normal dSLR . The second picture looks more what I would expect from an unmodified dSLR . A modified dSLR would be redder. Perhaps it's in the processing?
Philip
Old 20-02-2015, 03:20 PM
speach (Simon)

Cameras are canon 1100d, and yes I've produced pictures of m42 from an unmodded 1100d like the modded one. But those 2 were taken at the same time and processed exactly the same, to show the difference. I think the cost of moding the camera was well worth it. The processing was very minimal just a little Histogram (the same setting for both).
Here are the untouched frames, 1 frame from each set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (raw modded.jpg)
321.3 KB81 views
Click for full-size image (raw unmodded.jpg)
272.5 KB80 views
Old 20-02-2015, 03:33 PM
speach (Simon)

Thanks Bo
Old 20-02-2015, 04:10 PM
andyc (Andy)

Hi Simon, I have a feeling you ought to get more from your un-modded frames as well as your modded ones - this is my un-modded 4 x 5-minutes shot with a 60D. I would expect with a modded camera to get more of the reds around the main part of M42, but make little difference to the Running Man or the dust, as those areas are not strong in deep red H-alpha emission. Either way, I'm not convinced the processing of the un-modded image in your opening post was successful, especially seeing the raw frame you posted below? But good luck with the modded camera - if you get it working well, I'll definitely be jealous of the potential for the emission nebulae!
Old 20-02-2015, 04:43 PM
speach (Simon)

People, please for the 3 time. These pictures are NOT processed I've just put them up as a comparison between modded and unmodded. I intend to process them BUT THESE ARE NOT PROCESSED. REPEAT THESE ARE NOT PROCESSED.
Old 20-02-2015, 08:47 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I see where you're going with this but, in order to highlight the difference, perhaps it would have been more helpful to stretch each individually.
I hope you don't mind but I've just chucked your two images in PixInsight and done an auto stretch, with channels unlinked, to each. Of course this would be much better to do with the raws.

You can definitely see the much greater sensitivity to Ha that the modded camera has and even with just an auto stretch its colours are much closer to what we would consider 'correct'.

Nice one, I look forward to seeing how it performs with some other targets as you're getting some great detail out of your setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (comparison.jpg)
193.5 KB93 views
Old 20-02-2015, 09:57 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Yes, can definitely see the data differences between the two shots. Would also be interested in seeing comparison shots of fainter DSOs Simon.
Cheers
Bo
Old 21-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Interesting stuff. My 1100D raws on this subject are much more like Hugh's unmodded from a colour palette point of view, more grey than blue. Good to see how modding changes the response.
Old 21-02-2015, 07:24 PM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Interesting stuff. My 1100D raws on this subject are much more like Hugh's unmodded from a colour palette point of view, more grey than blue. Good to see how modding changes the response.
Thanks, your one of the few that understood what the pictures were for.
Old 21-02-2015, 08:59 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by speach View Post
Thanks, your one of the few that understood what the pictures were for.
I thought they were to highlight the difference in the data captured between identical exposures from a modded and an unmodded camera?
In which case processing one and then applying that same process to an image with completely different white and black points does not accomplish that. If you had processed the unmodded one to look reasonable and then applied that process to the modded one then the modded one would have looked worse. Please note that when I say process I'm refering to whatever you did to the first images you posted.

I know you think everyone missed your point but, having just reread the thread, I think everyone was just trying to highlight that the reason the unmodded image looked so much worse than the modded one was primarily because the processing on the unmodded image was inappropriate...?
Old 22-02-2015, 09:37 AM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
I thought they were to highlight the difference in the data captured between identical exposures from a modded and an unmodded camera?
In which case processing one and then applying that same process to an image with completely different white and black points does not accomplish that. If you had processed the unmodded one to look reasonable and then applied that process to the modded one then the modded one would have looked worse. Please note that when I say process I'm refering to whatever you did to the first images you posted.

I know you think everyone missed your point but, having just reread the thread, I think everyone was just trying to highlight that the reason the unmodded image looked so much worse than the modded one was primarily because the processing on the unmodded image was inappropriate...?
Look at the later post of the pics no processing whatever just changed into jpg and reduced in size to get them on here
Old 25-02-2015, 08:52 PM
andyc (Andy)

Simon, Hugh has demonstrated nicely how better to show the difference beteween the modded and un-modded camera shots. Your opening post didn't show that as the un-modded image was very poorly displayed (for whatever reason). That's proven by the fact that the single un-modded frame you put in post #7 shows much more detail and texture than the un-modded stack in post #1, which looked blown, blue and black clipped. That was all that I (and I think a few others) were getting at - that your opening post didn't quite show what you were after, and I think Hugh realised this. The modded frame in your post #7 shows a little more red detail and texture than the corresponding un-modded frame would come out further in a stack and with processing - which is great for you! So best of luck
Old 25-02-2015, 09:10 PM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Speach - you're among friends! I think? It's exciting getting that newly modded camera on the scope and pointing it skyward.